A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,123
Currently Running With Scissors:
654 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Three seashells for one final summer moment (pic heavy)  (Read 4197 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pjr107
« on: September 08, 2011 07:19:58 PM »

Apologies now for the not so great pictures: I am stuck with my cell phone only at the moment!

I've been taking a raku pottery class for a few years now and I find that my art is always inspired by what's around me.  These three shells are pinch pots that were made after a trip to the Jersey Shore and hours of scouring the beach with my kids.

For those who are not familiar with raku pottery, it's main difference from regular stoneware/ceramics is that a raku piece is pulled out of the hot kiln (causing the glaze to crackle) and placed in a bed of newspapers, sawdust ... flammable items ... and that fire is squelched so that the smoke permeates the clay creating the darken finish.

These specific shells were given a slightly different treatment by not glazing, but by applying terra sig in the greenware stage and various treatments during or just after the final firing.  And my brain is failing me for names so excuse any typoes or hiccups!)

Horse and human hair created the squiggles with a very small amount of sawdust for inside smoking.

This shell was spattered with ferric chloride for the orange spots and the black lines were drawn in with a feather.

Our class tried a new technique where different organic materials are placed around the pottery and then it is fired in a closed container.  The organics burn off in the kiln and the resulting colors that comes from them are beautiful. Honestly, it's hard to see the various levels of greys into yellows and whites.

And yes, it's always amazing to my 7yo that he can hear the ocean in a shell.

Enjoy those last moments of summer (or the start of them, depending on where you are!)
-Pauline
THIS ROCKS   Logged
angelofthelastday

Beware: objects in glass are actual size.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011 08:09:24 PM »

I totally thought these were real shells!! Beautiful! They are also much bigger than I thought in the first few pictures!
I am a little jealous I have to admit because I took four years of pottery in HS and never once got to try out Raku. It makes me sad and I miss it terribly.  Cry
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011 08:10:22 PM by angelofthelastday » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011 06:02:39 AM »

These are so amazing.  I didn't realize how big they were either until the pic with your son.  Love, Love, Love!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pjr107
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011 10:34:10 AM »

I didn't think they were that big until everyone started commenting.... sorry for not putting in a size reference!
I've got a few more of these that are still wet that have to be finished.  They are kind of addicting to make Smiley

Thank you all for the kind words, this is one of my first projects posted here (aside from swap stuff!)  Maybe I'll have to start coming out of my shell.. hahaha.  ok, enough of cracking myself up...

Thanks again!
-PJ
THIS ROCKS   Logged
decidedly average
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011 03:12:54 AM »

I think they're very cool! I love the patterns on them. (Also - was I the only one that thought it was going to be a Demolition Man reference?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cute_anarchy
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011 05:32:30 PM »

These are lovely!  Raku is so much fun, the unpredictabililty of it is the best part, and the results are usually amazing.  I made a GIANT (16-18 in?) shell once as a project, though it cracked a bit. Ooh, you make me want to get back to pottery.  Just beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a medium aged procrastinator, with a room full of craft supplies! 

I've got a wist and a pinterest: http://www.wists.com/cute_anarchy 
pjr107
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011 07:10:10 PM »

(little voice yelling from inside) you know you want to....yes, pottery....do it....do it.....

I hope you do get back into it and post pics on here Smiley
-Pauline
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Stop-Motion Animation Brick Film
How to Make an Infomercial
How to Light a Green Screen
How to Get Your Film Financed
How to Make an International Ransom Video
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...