A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 300,937
Currently Running With Scissors:
699 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CD Spindles and Plastic Tubes  (Read 2005 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lovelyxmalia
« on: September 08, 2011 11:35:20 AM »

I have a few empty CD spindles similar to this:

I saw a few ideas to screw the bottom into a shelf (like with glass bottles where you screw the top into a shelf and put stuff in there), but I don't know if the plastic would be strong enough to store things.

Also, I have some mailing tubes like this:

And I don't know what I can do with it. Its not super huge but is medium size and I can't bear to throw it out! And also a clear tube that my wall decal came in.

Any ideas would be great?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

She sees shooting stars...
              & comet's tail
She's got heaven in her eyes.
Sparkly Sharp Fabulous
Sparkly Sharp and Fabulous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011 12:07:00 PM »

I'm not sure how crafty this is, but I use my cd containers (the tops) and flip them upside down and use them as a water catcher underneath my plants. This helps me have to empty it less often, but also, if you have a grouping of plants, elevates them a little so they all get some sun Smiley

I bet you could use the other part and adhere it to the wall (maybe with one of those cheap stickies) and hang keys/jewelry/ hats, etc from. I hope that makes sense! I've also used some (a loongg time ago) to hand lighter mugs from for everyday use.

Hope this helps!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lovelyxmalia
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011 12:19:11 PM »

Thanks!

I love the idea of using the base on the wall for things. My husband always takes off his dirty work hat every night and plops it right onto my clean kitchen table. At least if I use the spindle thing and hang it right next to my key hanger, he has no choice than to take off his hat and hang it right there!

And hanging mugs is a good idea too! I have some decorative ones I'd like to see out above my counter.

Thanks so much for the terrific ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

She sees shooting stars...
              & comet's tail
She's got heaven in her eyes.
Sparkly Sharp Fabulous
Sparkly Sharp and Fabulous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011 01:12:59 PM »

Haha its funny you say that! I literally just installed some hooks near our front door area for my fiance to dump all his things into before it goes all over! Too funny!!

No problem! Happy to help! Or at least get your brain churning Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jasminerenee
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011 01:19:28 PM »

I saw this a couple weeks ago, and am in the process of emptying a spindle just to make one! I found a lamp kit at the hardware store for $3, and Allen is going to cut a little hole in the side for me. I have some really pretty scrapbooking paper that I had no idea what to do with, so I'm going to cut a circle for the top, and then line the sides. I have the perfect spot in our guest bedroom for one! Be a relatively cheap way to use the spindles! You could even go all out and buy the pricier vellum paper for scrapbooking. Maybe four, five bucks total and you could have a really cute little lamp for a Christmas gift! And if you used little pieces of double stick tape, you could change the paper in your lamp as often as you wanted! I'm already dreaming of using orange vellum and cutting out little Hallowe'en decorations to put inside! Now I need more spindles, haha!

Jasmine Smiley

http://www.craftstylish.com/item/45729/how-to-make-a-light-out-of-a-cd-spindle
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011 01:20:07 PM by jasminerenee » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sophia
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011 07:32:39 AM »

For the mailing tubes, I have seen them cut down and used to make keepsake boxes (this was in a book so I don't have a web link I'm afraid) but basically a piece of tube was used as the main structure with papier mache glued around it to create the base of the box. A seperate lid is made using a circle the diameter of your tube cut from card with papier mache over it, you can create a shape, such as a heart, in card and attach that to the top of the lid to act as a handle, and cover that in papier mache too. Once dried, you can paint it and add embellishments such as sequins etc. if you like, and voila - a small gift box!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cosmo.guffa
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011 10:58:58 AM »

Google the word "Dreamachine", maybe you could make one out of such tubes ...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Craftsunderground
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011 02:13:28 PM »

I am a knitter. I use a tall CD container to hold a skein of yarn so that I can place it on the floor and keep it clean and away from my cats. Just cut a hole in the top for the yarn to pass through. Push the skein onto the spindle and knit away.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teesha Moore inspired patches--anyone want to swap?
Jarcks
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011 12:30:46 PM »

In a recent edition of make magazine there was an article where someone had attached them to the bottom of a shelf as you suggest and were using them for the storage of screws.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Males Doing Nails with Sophy Robson
Beauty from Around the World: Bubzbeauty
The Best Makeup for Your Eye Shape
Get Kate Moss’ Chiseled Cheekbones
How to Rock the Ultimate Summer Party Look
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...