A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
773 Guests and 38 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ideas for a small house.  (Read 701 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

turbotinks
« on: April 15, 2011 07:52:19 AM »

I actually live in a trailer house. It is 14 x 70. I have 2 bedrooms and a bathroom I need ideas on what to do to spruce it up. Also i need ideas for storage!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hollie Hobbie

Where the heck is MY easy bake oven!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011 05:18:47 PM »

Hi there. I myself have lived in very small spaces. I have found that using light colors like light tints for paint on the walls give an illusion of space. Also mirrors help. Paint covers up alot of problems, and it is pretty cheap. As far as storage, I have had to decide what stuff I really need, and give away the stuff that just takes up space and makes my small house look cluttered. This is a hard thing to do though Tongue
HH
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tomico
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011 12:42:42 PM »

I have a passion for multifunctional furniture and ways to make the most of very little space. I have seen a chair that converts to a step stool. I've made loft beds to take advantage of limited floor space. I saw a show where someone made a kitchen armore with a microwave, a small sink, an apartment fridge, a small pull out cutting area and a small area on top to store dishes. Buy tables and benches that have storage within. If you look at boating suppy or rv stores you can find lots of things to help when you have limited space.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
head_huntress
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011 09:32:43 AM »

currently I live in a small apartment and in the bed room there isn't a whole lot of space. one of the things I really need is a desk. I'm having to sleep in a twin bed (which sucks) and the door the the back balcony is in my room, so there has to be a clear pathway to the door. I don't have enough room for a dresser, so I have a medium size set of metal shelves I bought from Target and have put baskets on them to hold my clothes. deep, woven, linen-lined ones for jeans, pants, shorts and stuff like that, and smaller ones for shirts and lingerie.  

Try using a corner shelving system for your tv and other appliances. if you like curtains, try not to have ones that go all the way to the floor. they'll get pulled on and if you dont have a sturdy curtain rod, it could get ripped off the wall. try putting your larger furniture up against the wall, and the smaller catty-cornered to the other furniture, that way you're not straining your neck if you do have a corner unit, and then large clunky furniture won't be in the way of someone trying to go into the kitchen or to the bathroom. Ottomans with storage space are always a plus.

command hooks are your friend! try hanging kitchen utensils, have a cabinet mounted towel holder (my ex-boyfriend's mom has a kitchen towel rack on the side of her cabinet that swivels and a spot for her paper towels mounted to the bottom of the top cabinets.)

As for storage, try not to just throw things in a cabinet or drawer. if you keep your spaces organized, you'll find it gives you room for other things!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011 09:36:42 AM by head_huntress » THIS ROCKS   Logged
lylacfey
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011 01:55:32 AM »

Get rid of the dresser if you have one. My DH & I started life in a small studio apartment. We used baskets for all our dresser items. They were so beautiful and functional too. They fit well on top of our closet shelves. It also kept us from buying those clothing purchases we didn't really need and help build a nice wardrobe. We still do this today.

Boxes & Shelves hide everything without looking cluttered. Beautiful decorator boxes hold all those small items that tend to clutter around homes.

Go vertical with your storage. It's an age old trick that really works.

My DH & I are about ready to scale down to a smaller home. We already live in a fairly small size home. We want something with a lot of land and less home.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2011 01:57:15 AM by lylacfey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/97658832@N05/

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/gelyafey/

Organize your life around your dreams and watch them come true.
ravenwitch
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011 04:57:44 PM »

For decoration, find a color or a theme.  It can make a small space look decorated easily and pull it together.  Pick a favorite piece of art and build your rooms around it.  Since most rentals have walls all one color, use lots of shades of a different color to accent it.  I have seen some super cute trailers but you need a fairly bold theme.  I saw one that had only black furniture and all the accents were pink.  I don't like pink but it was adorable.  It helps you focus on all the decor and not the walls.

For storage, make under sinks count.  Most landlords won't notice if you redo shelves under the sink to maximize the way they work.  I usually do this in both the kitchen and the bathroom.  My kitchen only has space for food OR dishes.  I pared my dishes down to the bare basics and put shelves in the nearest closet to make a pantry. 

Underbed storage is a must.  Trial and error taught me that wicker and cloth baskets tear too soon on carpet and the big underbed shorage boxes stink.  A set of smaller totes can be stored two deep for out of season stuff.  Most beds can be easily raised or my kids' bed is far enough off the ground for a standard tote.  They have six under their bunk beds.  The back three hold extra sheets and out of season clothes and the front three hold toys they have a lot of, like blocks and power rangers.

Definately focus on furniture that has multiple uses or takes up very little space.  I ditched all the kitchen chairs.  I bought bar stools and cut them down so they sit under the table when we don't need them and bought extra nice office chairs for the two computer desks.  Since the living room and dining room are one area, we turn the computer chairs to the table. 

Our huge ottoman wasted a ton of space.  I made a cover that has a board attached to it so it can be a table.  Next, I want to change the top so it opens for storage.

So anyway Grin, I hope that wasn't tooooo long!  heehee
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011 01:51:34 AM »

Try to get 16 inches of space under your bed. When I lived in a dorm room, my brother made me triangular bed lifts out of scrap wood, about 12 inches on the short sides. The 4 inches of height this gave me resulted in just barely enough room to fit those flap-top totes under the bed. If it weren't for that, my closet would have been stuffed to the brim. I actually saw a really cool DIY platform bed on here today.

Those wire hanging baskets are really handy in small spaces for all kinds of stuff. I spent a weekend at a trapper's trailer, and he had scissors, batteries, matches, tape, all kinds of awesome stuff in a wire hanging basket near the wood stove. If you don't have shelves above the fridge, put some in. Sure, you make use of the space ON your fridge, but then you're wasting the two feet above that.

Decorative-wise, a LOT of trailers I've seen have nasty old wood paneling, and if you're only renting it, consider hanging curtains/fabric all the way around. That also helps regulate the internal temperature in winter. You can take em all down every month or so for a quick wash to get the dust out of them. If the landlord will let you paint, I'm personally super fond of golden wheat as a wall colour, because you can get it blended to just the right saturation for your lighting situation, and it's a good warm neutral that goes with pretty much everything. And painted paneling actually doesn't look bad if done with newer latex based paints.

Another thing I've noticed in most trailers is the windows are pretty small, leaving the you with very little natural light during the day. I think a good solution would be to paint the window sills and/or all the window flashing pure white.

I know it's a bit old, but I hope contributed some ideas Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Mixed Berry Cobbler
How to Make Caramelized Squash & Apple Crisp
Would You Order or Rent One of These Cakes?
Spiced Butter Cookies Recipe
How to Make Melon, Plum and Nectarine Soup
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...