A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,471
Currently Running With Scissors:
492 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: what foods are appetizing when pureed?  (Read 2237 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tomico
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011 10:28:18 AM »

Could you make pate' or is that the wrong texture?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
destashification
The Destashification Project

Stash Couture!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011 03:48:24 PM »

Broccoli Cheese Soup!

My daughter (16) can't get enough of it when it is pureed - but won't touch it if there are "chunks!"

Now, about the way it looks when pureed - sorry.  But it tastes great!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goomba
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011 12:56:11 PM »

For sure soups.

I broke my jaw pretty bad a few years back and had it wired shut for 3 months...I blended a lot of stuff....most of which was a terrible idea (blended a whole pizza) but out of it I ended up with a few things....

crazy amounts of smoothies...if it's fruit, blend it.
bananas are by far the best choice when you want something dessert related and blended. Specially if you add peanut butter to it. (i added peanut butter to a great deal of things...being vegan at the time, I was more concerned about my health then just looking for something to eat)

Leafy greens can be blended up. they will lose their color and be come brown but there are ways around that

I just saw the post about the broccoli cheese soup and the color of it....

here is a fix for that (and for blending all leaf greans, stolen from cooks illustrated )
2 tbsp unsalted butter
2 pounds broccoli, chopped into 1 inch pieces (include the stems but peel them and cut them into 1/4 inch-thick slices)
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 tsp dry mustard powder
pinch cayenne
salt
3-4 cups water
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 cups chicken broth
2 oz baby spinach
3 oz sharp cheddar, grated
1 1/2 oz parmesan, grated
pepper to taste

In a large pot or dutch oven, heat butter over medium high heat. Add broccoli, onion, garlic, mustard, cayenne and 1 tsp salt. Stir frequently and cook until fragrant, about 6 minutes. Add 1 cup water and baking soda and bring to a simmer. Cook until broccoli is very soft, about 20 minutes.

Add broth and 2 cups water and increase heat to medium high. Bring to a simmer, then stir in spinach and cook until wilted, about 1 minute. Add cheeses and blend soup with an immersion blender (alternatively, you can transfer soup to a blender and blend in two batches).

Adjust consistency of soup to your liking with remaining water (I found it didn't need any more). Season to taste with salt and pepper.

adding baking soda to leaf greens changes the ph properties and actually shuts down the chemical reaction that takes place after the cells are busted.......

but really hands down....soups. soups that are supposed to have slight chunks in them, when blended with come out less watery.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.
AimeeRose
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012 07:02:59 PM »

Way back in the day (we were teenagers then) my sister had jaw surgery, and one thing she seemed to like was macaroni and cheese in the blender.  Since it's been the best part of 30 yrs, I can't remember much else... sorry!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
takoburrito
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012 12:02:21 AM »

I really like pureed celeriac/Celery Root. Steam or boil it, then mash/puree with a hint of cream & butter. Beats the pants off regular old mashed potatoes. 

Also, try using nut/oat/hemp milks as a basis for the smoothies you'll inevitably make, as they'll up her protein intake and taste better than regular milk. I'm an avid believer in soy protein powder in my berry/banana/hazelnut butter smoothies.

Also, did nobody mention mushy peas?

Good luck, and good on ya.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jeffrey Deever Talks About New Book XO
How to Maintain Your Diet During the Summer
Chuck Thompson on College Football in the South
David Maraniss on the Untold Story of Barack Obama
Katherine Stansfield Performs Her Poem "Oh Bees of Rhode Island"
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...