A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
555 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Total Living Room Re-decoration! Bird-themed wall art  (Read 1992 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hamsterpower

You cannot hurt a twinkie!

View Profile
« on: September 08, 2011 06:13:26 PM »

Hi everyone!

The boyfriend left for three whole weeks Sad But it gave me a great excuse to redecorate as a surprise to him. He will be returning tomorrow and I just barely finished *whew*

The first came from http://www.bluecricketdesign.net/2010/08/pretty-bird-wall-art.html
It's a fairly simple project, glue pages from an old book/newspaper then stencil and sharpie a tree design over it. I chose, however, to use photo paper and print out realistic birds Smiley

ps. Word of caution: DO NOT cheap out and get posterboard. The glue/water mix will WARP it up GOOD

Alright, so the next project was my idea and was a big hit with my friends. I simply went to a thrift store and took all the gold frames they had. I then went to a fancy stationary store and bought postcards and folders with birds. Cut and frame and voila! Suddenly, you have framed (cheap) art!

Sorry for the blurry, but here's a nicer close-up of a folder I cut out and framed

Okay, next is the craftster rite of passage: the revamped corkboard

I got a thrift store pillowcase and cut/glue/tacked it to the board. From an art store, I bought some nice gold stationary paper to frame it and cut out birds from the folder as well as put up postcards from friends that were with the theme. Could be neater, but I'm quite pleased Smiley

Here is a piece I designed on my own. It was a pain but I love how its 3-D and large, which adds a lot of character/color to the wall. For this, I purchased from the thrift store a set of 6 cardboard gift boxes. Taping the insides of the boxes so that they would stand stiff, I punched holes through them and strung them together (this is the part that nearly drove me nuts). The picture doesn't show it, but the strings lead to the top row and beyond by about a foot. I attached the string to thumbtacks so when fully attached, it looked like I had a gift box marionette XD.

Once fully stringed, I pasted layers of paper that I had already colored blue. Once laid down, added cloud shapes and whanot.

After that, I got black yarn and made a crisscrossing scene of "telephone wires". My dear friend mailed me these awesome construction paper birds to sit and fly around the scene. I love my crafty friends Smiley

Close up of some love birds heehee

Here are two quick crafts courtesy of Goodwill. The first is two jars (one I found free on the street!) filled with things that were in the color theme of red and gold (potpourri and some random gems).

The other I found by digging in a big bin o' stuff at Goodwill. A paper flower garland! (The treasures you find...)

Last is a little something I drew (pastels).

So ALL of this plus some red curtains I sewed (fabric from thrift store, of course) and an Ikea table I painted red. This whole project may seem a little zany and bipolar, but I am no longer blinded by the white walls of death.

Thank you for looking!!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011 01:58:15 AM »

Your bird themed living room is lovely. The fist piece, be it simple, is my favourite, I love the boldness and the simplicity of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011 04:54:56 AM »

Wow, you've been busy!  Nice job, I'm sure he'll be thrilled!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  
I'm a shepherd and have raw fleece.  PM me if you want to swap for some.

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read all about it here
rubidoux
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011 03:17:46 PM »

Looks great!  And I'm jealous as I'm still looking at those white walls of death myself.   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook Chicken Chilli Ramen
How to Cook Gai Yang
How to Cook Miso Glazed Barbecued Duck
How to Prepare Barbecued Asian Pork Sandwich
How to Cook a Tomato Rasam
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...