A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,634
Currently Running With Scissors:
492 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Severed Hand Pet/Prisoner: Making the Most of a Broken Halloween Prop  (Read 14863 times)
Tags for this thread: birdcage , monster_bag , frankenstein , featured_project , halloween_crafts , halloween , halloween_decoration  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 04, 2011 12:49:46 PM »

So I have had this sound-activated, Frankenstein hand that "walks" for a decade or so and about 4 years ago pulled it out of the decoration box to find it had a broken little finger... it still moves, but it just thrashes rather than skittering across the floor.   Sad  

I love that thing!  So I figured out a way to fix it... put in a cage and treat it like a pet/prisoner!  So the half-assed search for a cage began last year.  I found one last week on craigslist:

After some distressing and such I got this!

The devil is in the details:

The hand's "skin" had some other damage so I tea-stained some gauze, bloodied it up and glued it over the wounds.

Something about the bottom of the cage (even when I put a smooth surface in it) made the had seize up during it's twitching, so I decided to hang it from the top by a tea- and "blood" stained jute noose.

The cage came with "feeders" so I distressed those as well and put in feathers and a plastic foot that had fallen of a crow decoration I have.  The other feeder has feathers in it, too.

There are more feathers glued in clumps to a few places on the cage and some laying on the floor of the cage.

One of the best things about this project is that the only thing I had to buy was the cage!  I got feathers from a friend with chickens, but the paints, jute rope, gauze, tea, glue, etc. was all from my stash or the cupboards around the house.  

A video of the twitching in action is here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/36662201@N02/6113169991/
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011 12:51:56 PM by TheMistressT » THIS ROCKS   Logged

SkyyAngel
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011 01:08:41 PM »

This is so totally awesome. <3 I love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missmlissa
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011 02:32:10 PM »

AWESOME!!!  I really want to make a knockoff.  Now I must find two cages as I am currently looking for one to turn into an ipod dock/blaster as per a DIY project I saw in Bust last year.

BTW:  This Rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011 02:53:20 PM »

AWESOME!!!  I really want to make a knockoff.  Now I must find two cages as I am currently looking for one to turn into an ipod dock/blaster as per a DIY project I saw in Bust last year.

BTW:  This Rocks!

Thanks!  The hardest part was finding an old-timey cage that wasn't expensive.  Finally I discovered "decorative bird cages" and suddenly the price went down.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Damara
I don't want to make money. I just want to be wonderful--Marilyn Monroe

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011 06:14:33 PM »

Guess who is on the hunt for both a hand AND a cage...this is soo cute and would make the best gift for my Grandma, she LOVES Halloween!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sanity is the playground for the unimaginative

"I promise to love you forever, every single day of forever"  Edward Cullen, Eclipse

www.wists.com/damara
TheMistressT

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011 07:21:14 PM »

Guess who is on the hunt for both a hand AND a cage...this is soo cute and would make the best gift for my Grandma, she LOVES Halloween!

You are!  You are!  Thanks!  And I think I love your grandma.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zaluly
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011 04:02:30 AM »

Love this, want one..your craft stash must be AMAZING
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011 01:16:27 PM »

Love this, want one..your craft stash must be AMAZING

Thank you!  I was just telling a crafty, but not as crafty as I friend how I used to know people with amazing craft stashes that made me feel inadequate... and now I have a pretty decent craft stash of my own.  Different types of things than those other crafty types, but still it's sure nice to be able to walk into the basement, dig around and find stuff that will work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

davidsdesire
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011 12:10:44 PM »

if you have a Home Goods near you, check them.  I got a really nice cage (similar to OP's) for $10.

I soooo love this idea....I was wondering what to put in my cage and you've inspired me. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Damara
I don't want to make money. I just want to be wonderful--Marilyn Monroe

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011 12:24:03 PM »

Thanks Davidsdesire, I'll check it out.  I found a couple of bird cages at a junk store...they wanted $50 EACH!!! Shocked Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sanity is the playground for the unimaginative

"I promise to love you forever, every single day of forever"  Edward Cullen, Eclipse

www.wists.com/damara
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Move Original Music to MySpace
How to Play Paintball Like Rambo
How To Cheat at Rock Paper Scissors
How to Have Better Creative Thinking
How to Play Solitaire
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...