A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 299,178
Currently Running With Scissors:
626 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lacking closure [Edit - Pics added]  (Read 672 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PeachieClean
« on: September 04, 2011 01:35:56 AM »

So, I recently made a small chainmaille wristlet.  It's just big enough for my ID, some cash and whatever change I may get for days that my purse is just too much.  My problem is, I don't have any zippers thin enough to fit the project.  Like, my doll clothes zippers are too wide for this baby.  Since the plan since I started it (Over a month ago, wow!) was to use a zipper, I am sort of at a loss for what to do.  I'd planned for this to be a fair/party/concert type deal, so I need it to be secure and hold everything in.  I'm less worried about change falling out than losing my ID or cash, but I'd still like something fairly secure.  Also: With the rings I'm using, a flap doesn't seem to be plausible, the rings are too tight to fold over.  I'll add pics when I get them, but any ideas?

[Edit - Pics!  Clickable thumbnails.]

« Last Edit: September 04, 2011 12:30:20 PM by PeachieClean » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My boyfriend is holding a Pokemon themed contest.  Interested?  http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.359328020778498.82645.352681428109824&type=1
texscrapper
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011 11:22:47 AM »

What about a strip magnet? Not sure since I haven't seen the wristlet, but that might keep it secure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PM me for personal swaps! Longing for a "Muffin Man" type poppet for
my son.

2014 Crafts
50 Projects in 2014 - 15/50
De-stash Projects Completed - 25

Total Projects in 2014: 40
Swap Packages Sent: 14
PeachieClean
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011 12:18:56 PM »

The problem with that it's *just* big enough to fit my ID + cash.   The ID is maybe a few cm from the edge of the purse.  I made it small because when I go to fairs/festivals I don't want to walk around with a purse that weighs a few pounds empty.  I'll be getting pictures up within the hour, I just need to find my camera and take them. Haha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My boyfriend is holding a Pokemon themed contest.  Interested?  http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.359328020778498.82645.352681428109824&type=1
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011 08:06:31 AM »

The only thing I can think of, since there is absolutely no room for anything else, is to close it with a button and stretchy loop. You can force an elastic string through the chain mail, tie the ends together on the inside, sew a metalic button on the front and the loop will then secure the top. I personally wouldn't want my credit cards rubbing against chain mail for any period of time. I would've made a lining.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PeachieClean
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011 01:51:26 PM »

I don't carry credit cards, closest I come is my debit card which I only use for online things.  Most fairs that I've been to only take cash.  Some are nice enough to have ATMs but most aren't so I always carry cash, and since this is mostly for fairs and festivals I didn't think I'd need to worry about it.  The only card in it would be my ID, which has stood up well enough to being owned by me, I don't think a bit of maille will hurt it much.  I've actually managed to get a flap started (It'll take a while to finish since my hands are hating me today) and I've got a button on it.  I plan to make a loop of JPL (The same chain the wrist part is made of) to go around the button.  It's taking on a considerably different look, but I like it so far.  Thanks for the ideas though, and if I ever make one that will be holding cards I'll be sure to line it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Clean dust off the sensor of the Canon EOS cameras
Learn about Pocketwizard Plus II Wireless Flash Trigger
Shooting For Super Resolution
Lighting Shooting and Retouching
Photographing Autumn Leaves
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...