A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 298,104
Currently Running With Scissors:
777 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Melted CD Pendent Tutorial  (Read 22344 times)
Tags for this thread: cd , tutorial , craftster_best_of_2011  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

beadiful nights
« on: September 03, 2011 10:04:24 PM »

These were so fun and easy to make. The color of this cd looks like the ocean to me.
I made a purple CD like this but it didn't turn out good. The purple one must have been poor quality cause it split apart and broke. Tutorial at bottom of page.
Door to My Heart Pendent----I've been looking for someone with the key. Ha! Ha!

Sea Foam Blast

Frog on a pond with his Butterfly Friend behind him

How to make one of your own.
STEP 1 THE CRACKLE: Find a useless CD and put it in the microwave for five seconds. Putting it in the microwave makes the metal crackle it is so pretty. CAUTION: Don't freak out it looks like a little firework show. Don't leave it alone it could catch of burn. After you have it in there for five seconds stop and check on it to see how crackled it is then do more if you need to. After you have achieved the crackled look you want take it out.

STEP 2 THE BUBBLES: Get a cookie sheet put aluminum foil on it. Then place the cd on the foil and put it in the oven at 400 degrees.Do three to five minutes at a time just to see what it is doing. Because ovens cook differently check it often. When you start getting good bubbles take it out. The thing is you need the cd to keep its shape don't over melt it. CAUTION: It smells terrible it is melted plastic after all. If you want to avoid inhaling this here is a alternative. Put a toast oven out side and do it there insteed.

STEP 3 CUT IT: Don't let it cool to much it is easier to cut if it is still warm. You will need a sharp pair of scissors for this part. Cut it to any shape you want.

STEP 4 DRILL A HOLE: Drill a hole in it this could also be done with a dremel. I put clear nail polish on the back of my pendent to prevent the metal from chipping off. Then you will need a bail to hang it by I used a jump ring. You can add charms if you like.

I hope this is easy to understand this is my first tutorial. I would love to see pictures of yours if you have made any.
COMMENTS, QUESTIONS, WELCOME
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013 01:50:54 PM by beadiful nights » THIS ROCKS   Logged

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN BEADING VISIT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL. ENJOY!
http://www.youtube.com/user/beadifulnights?feature=mhee
Eclectic Dreamer

There's power in an unwritten page.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011 11:04:24 PM »

This is so great! I have a ton of used CD's. Does this work fine if they are scratched? My used CD's were saved for something else, but I can't have scratches for that project.

Do you have any recommended vs stay away from brands? Do the cheap office depot CD's work for this? I know... I can try it myself and find out Smiley I'm so excited.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.etsy.com/people/ShahanaKhan/favorites
http://pinterest.com/3pomegranates

Writing Magic - NaNoWriMo 2013 Swap: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=426706.0#axzz2cCRJhOrK

My new motto/mantra: "Eat. Rest. Be well of heart. Keep breathing."
Eclectic Dreamer

There's power in an unwritten page.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011 11:08:32 PM »

Do you do anything to hide the label part on the back of the CD? Or does the process pretty much obliterate it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.etsy.com/people/ShahanaKhan/favorites
http://pinterest.com/3pomegranates

Writing Magic - NaNoWriMo 2013 Swap: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=426706.0#axzz2cCRJhOrK

My new motto/mantra: "Eat. Rest. Be well of heart. Keep breathing."
katara
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011 11:57:09 PM »

The pendants are beautiful but as far as I know one shouldn't put anything metal into a microwave, hence the fireworks - so now I'm very concerned - not even to mention the fact that plastic fumes can be toxic!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011 12:00:51 AM by katara » THIS ROCKS   Logged

elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011 01:46:26 AM »

There are so many throwaway CDs out there and it would be nice to find a use for them as they are very pretty.  I really like these pendants.  They look like mother of pearl.

I have also been told that the fumes from some CD/DVDs can be toxic but I have no authoritative reference for this.  Is it all CDs or are some kinds worse than others.  I have never tried putting them in a microwave but I have tried softening them in the oven or boiling water prior to cutting them up.  I've noticed with some types of CD/DVD the metallic backing just peels off but with others there is another layer of rigid plastic to sandwich the reflective coating and keep it in place.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011 04:45:03 AM »

The pendants are beautiful but as far as I know one shouldn't put anything metal into a microwave, hence the fireworks - so now I'm very concerned - not even to mention the fact that plastic fumes can be toxic!

Someone else has done CD/DVD crafts before, and it was discussed there, and with plastic bead melting, etc.  What you can do if concerned about toxins is to use materials dedicated to crafting, in a very well ventilated space.  I actually have a separate toaster oven for polymer clay/melting.  For this, I would even get a second used microwave.  I would also do it outside or in my husbands workshop so the fumes are not trapped in a small space.

Beadiful nights - very nice results.  The blue colouring is lovely!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011 04:46:31 AM by Onyxnox » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
beadiful nights
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011 07:49:22 PM »

Eclectic Dreamer: Scratches should not be a problem with the CDs. The melting should make the scratches disappear. Now for the name brands I have not tried many but I used IMATION because the back of it is silver and I have no separation with this name brand. The label on the back of the CDs I used were silver so I never used one with pictures or bright colors on the back so I don't know what would happen with printed backings.

Katara: The CD is in the microwave for a very short amount of time so it is not that bad as it seems. If you are worried about the smell being toxic here is a alternative. If you have a microwave that is not attached to to the kitchen cabinets take it outside and crackle the CDs there.Now for the oven part the CDs are not in the oven very long when I start to smell them that kinda means there done or almost done. So they don't smell for long. If your still worried about the smell open windows or use a toaster oven outside. I have a toast oven that I melt plastic in outside.

Elderflower: I like your boiling idea. Thanks for replying.

Onyxnox: Thank you so much. Sounds like you have done this before.

Here is what the backs look like. I put clear nail polish on the backs to seal the silver from chipping off and it works. I like how the heart just happen to get the stars and im on the back of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nerowolfgal
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011 03:40:47 PM »

What about using a heat gun, or for more intense heat, a paint stripper to cause the bubbles instead of an oven.  You could do it outside and not be so concerned about the fumes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beadiful nights
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011 04:19:11 PM »

nerowolfgal: Thanks for that idea, I never thought about doing it that way. I don't have a heat gun though and I am not sure about the paint stripper. I wonder if the heat gun would work. You might smell it more being so close to it.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tiffi_333
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011 05:38:56 AM »

you could always wear some kinda mask from home depo if those would help...Im not sure if they help with plastic fumes really well but they help out alot with others.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Behind the Scenes of the Moby Dick Opera
How to Tie-Dye a T-Shirt
How Design Strategist Builds Creative Skills
What Makes Product Design Work Meaningful
Design Week Columbus 2012
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...