A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 305,031
Currently Running With Scissors:
595 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: You can make this skirt in ONE hour from 2 old pillow cases  (Read 2227 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AmandaBL
« on: September 03, 2011 05:16:17 PM »

(If you're skinny enough to make it from ONE pillow case, I'm jealous & you should stop sewing and go have a high fat meal ;-) )

If you can sew in a straight line, or a sort of straight line, this is for you.

In addition to the sewing machine (or needle & thread and more than one hour) you will need:
embroidery floss & an embroidery needle
2 pillow cases
one hankie (if you want a decorative pocket - the one shown is tatted on the edges)
Ribbon (twice the length of your waist/hips - wherever you want to tie the skirt)

1) Cut off the end seam and the side seam on both cases(NOT the wide seam)

2) Hold one of the pillow cases up to you, wide seam down. Fold the top edge (which you just cut) over once and adjust til you have about the length you want. Add an inch to that length for seam allowance.

3) Cut off the part you folded over, then use that as a guide to cut the other one to the same length being careful NOT to cut the wide seam off (I will be using that left over fabric for a hair tie and who knows what else)

4) Sew the cases together length wise, with right sides facing each other. Do NOT do what I did and start at the cut edge:

As you can see, my cutting was not prescice (SHOCKING!) and the wide edge doesnt match.  Insert missing step of tearing appart & resewing together STARTING at the wide edge, then trimming the cut edge to match as needed ;-) you will have done it propperly & it will look something like this when viewed from the right side

5) Wrap this fabric around you, and make it about a foot bigger than what what a fitted skirt would be & cut the excess from both sides (so your next seam is in the middle)

6) Sew the other length wise edges together.  I am not an excellent seamstress and I sew the insides of my seams down.  You can do this, skip this, or try out some other way - I'm sure there's a better one out there.  Anywho this is what mine looked like.

7) Hem the bottom.

8 At whichever seam you want to be the back of your skirt, with the wide edge being the top, sew the middle of your length of ribbon to the inside of your skirt.

at this point you have a big tube of fabric with a long length of ribbon tacked to the back.  It looks weird, but it's about to get better.

9)Now that you can see exactly where the ribbon will thread into your skirt on each side, you want to sew a seam slightly above the top of the ribbon.  This will give you the cute gathered ruffle like edge at the top & keep the ribbon from sliding all the way to the top edge of the skirt. 

10) Cut button holes to thread the ribbon INTO your skirt on the back then OUT of the skirt on the front where you will tie the bow. You only want to cut through 1 layer - the inside one on the back & the outside one on the front.  You may want to mark it first so you don't get them mixed up when you're cutting. I finished my button holes with embroidery floss & threaded the ribbon through.

You're skirt is done :-) If you want a pocket, keep going.

11) Fold your hankie into a square.  Depending on the pattern or embroidery you may want to just sew it on like that.  I had the decorative edge and wanted to see as much of it as possible, so I sewed the folded edges...

then I folded two of the front layers down and sewed across the new fold to make a pocket (don't accidentally sew it to the back like I have done many times)

12) then pin it to your skirt and sew it on!  All done <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ashal
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011 07:36:28 PM »

Thanks! I can't wait to try this out:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sparkly Sharp Fabulous
Sparkly Sharp and Fabulous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011 08:46:31 PM »

what a great tutorial! without thinking, a while ago i attempted to make my own "pillow case skirt" only to be like, oh, that pillowcase is not going to suffice.... Nice to see one with multiple cases combined Smiley thanks for sharing!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

raeraethejetplane
Take me out 2 the black Tell them I aint comin back

RIP Blue kitty Jan. 1994 - April 2010

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011 11:13:28 PM »

Would you mind an action shot? I like to see how a garment hangs before I go for it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jannapy
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011 06:43:06 PM »

I love the pocket.  Since you made a seam down the middle, if you have some cute vintage-y buttons you could add them down the front.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you can't do it with duck tape...it can't be done!

http://sundayinthecountry.blogspot.com/
toobadsosad
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011 12:02:55 PM »

I like the top part a lot. I wonder about the length, though. Do you have any pictures of you (or someone else) wearing it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 9/35
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 34/35
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 6/35
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 7/35
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 8/35
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...