A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 300,953
Currently Running With Scissors:
725 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Trees > to Toilet Paper Rolls > and back to a tree again  (Read 39460 times)
Tags for this thread: tree , toilet_paper_tube  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

melissa!
« on: September 01, 2011 08:37:54 PM »

This is my beautiful new tree in my fantastic new apartment.  I made it entirely in one day (about 11 hours, most of them spent painting) less than a week before I was to move into my new apartment, because I needed some lightweight large beautiful artwork to bring nature into the city. Its made entirely out of toilet paper rolls with a few paper towel rolls thrown in for good measure.  I am absolutely in love with it.

Its slightly over 3 feet tall and 3 feet wide.  I cant even tell you how many rolls this took because Ive been collecting since January and I cut as I go.  I started counting the leaves and lost count at over 200 so Im guessing its 400+ inch pieces all hot glued together to make my ode to nature. Cheesy

To construct the tree I flattened the toilet rolls and cut them into inch pieces.  Then I pinched them open to a leaf shape, and arranged them into the top of the tree.
For the trunk I didnt open them up, instead I tried to flatten them to make a bark like texture. 
(In regards to inspiration, I learned how to make snowflakes like these years ago at school or something since then Ive seen ppl online make some organic cell like shapes with them, but Ive never seen a tree, even though I searched some out after I made mine, also I think my technique is a bit different, but I still wanted to acknowledge that).

I placed the hearts in the tree because my mom has always placed hearts in the trees she draws, its just a family thing to represent the intertwining of love and nature.

A scale reference: this is over my XL Twin bed, it takes up a big chunk of the blank white walls.  I just hung it up with clear tacks because there are some strict hanging policies here.

I hand painted all the leaves with 6 shades of green paint left over from my moms wedding crafts.  So the only non-recycled element is the 2 glue gun sticks that it took to assemble.

The trunk is left in its natural state.

The hearts are also rings, just pinched a bit different.

So heres the mini tree I first designed, but then I thought, if Im going to do this, Im going all out! I took all my possible designs apart and used them all to make this larger tree (pre paint and glue).

I hope youve enjoyed looking at my new love. Now I just need to get everyone saving their rolls so I can make all the requests Ive received. Cheesy lol

Don't forget to vote for your favorite entry! Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I hope we're still friends after I taser you." VM

http://www.wists.com/melishka
Rosie1981

Wanderlust.....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011 09:05:26 PM »

I love it. I would also like to share your idea with my 4-H group, with your permission of course.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
melissa!
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011 09:21:01 PM »

Absolutely! I love to share, and inspire creativity in youth! (The teacher in me lol!)

I know some people make roll crafts without the hot glue but you need lots of little clips to hold the stuff together for quite a while... so idk what age groups your working with but if they're old enough hot glue will save you tons of headache. Cheesy
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011 10:33:32 PM by melissa! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011 11:46:48 AM »

cool project!!  looks really fun to do!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

super_crayola
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011 12:27:26 PM »

love it!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Im up for personal swaps! PM me Smiley

organized people are just too lazy to look for things
A2K
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

arf arf!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011 06:00:41 PM »

Completely inspired and inspiring!  I love the hearts -- in using the heart motif you have honored your mother which I find very cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rosie1981

Wanderlust.....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011 06:17:00 PM »

Absolutely! I love to share, and inspire creativity in youth! (The teacher in me lol!)

I know some people make roll crafts without the hot glue but you need lots of little clips to hold the stuff together for quite a while... so idk what age groups your working with but if they're old enough hot glue will save you tons of headache. Cheesy

Thanks.  Grin  Groups range from 4 - 18.  I'll adjust for age groups.  Now I have to get them to start saving their tp rolls.
I'm also going to share this with my art teacher friend.  With the budget cuts in our state she lost half her budget so together we've been bouncing recycle crafts off each other.  Thanks again.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
melissa!
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011 08:09:56 PM »

Rosie1981 - I completely understand! I volunteer to teach art at a local elementary school because of their budget cuts, and supplies all have to be donated or recycled/collected. Cheesy I'm just happy to have inspired you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Cotton Floozy
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011 10:17:12 PM »

FANTASTIC!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
teachart
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011 11:49:21 AM »

It looks wonderful! (I love the pillows on your bed too, btw!  Smiley)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Chinese Beef Noodle Dish
The Classics: Hong Thaimee Makes Laab
How to Make an Asian Shrimp and Fruit Salad
How to Cook With Bean Sprouts
How to Cook and Brown Coconut
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...