A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,552
Currently Running With Scissors:
817 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Floral book wreath, Hogwarts style (pic heavy)  (Read 3344 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AngelProjekt
« on: September 07, 2011 09:21:52 PM »

My first Craftster challenge!  Lots of photos!

Scroll down to see more.

I work in a library and constantly have to take books out of circulation because they have had their pages turned one too many times.  Occasionally, this is a sad moment because the book is so beloved, but being read 40 or 50 or even 150 times is a great life for a book!
I like to take my favorites and give them a second life.  Thus, book crafts!  My favorites for this purpose are Harry Potter and The Invention of Hugo Cabret.  I have plans for a Twi"light" lamp.

This is my second design for a book wreath, and my first experience crafting paper flowers and leaves.  I used a couple of techniques for paper flowers from Martha Stewart Weddings: the peony and the carnation.

I'm including lots of photos so you can DIY!  Please enjoy!

I started with a foam wreath mold, the kind you can actually squish flowers into.  This was a mistake - super messy, and absorbed water so easily that it made gluing a hassle.  Next time I will buy some pipe insulation from Home Depot and duct tape it into a wreath shape.  You can use the firm foam or whatever you like, as long as it is porous enough to jab with wire later.  My edges were too square, so I smoothed them down with my fingers.
I then acquired my favorite pages and blotted them with wet tea bags.  I used Vanilla Bean Mighty Leaf tea (yum!), but any sort of black tea should work.  Used tea bags work nicely.  Used coffee grounds don't.

After the pages dried, I crinkled them up into balls and flattened them out again.  Twice.  This makes them sort of tough, really pretty, and a lot easier to manipulate later on.

I cut the pages into thin strips, maybe .5" wide, reserving a couple pages to become flower petals later.

I glued the strips to the wreath mold.  I actually strategically placed the strips, taking into account what text would be showing on top versus what would be hidden, where my flowers would be going, and if neighboring strips were part of the same scene from the book.  I had to use a combination for Aileen's and hot glue, because straight craft glue didn't work well with the foam.  Once the "bottom" was covered, I could use craft glue for the entire "top" (display side) because it stuck to the other paper strips.

After covering the entire wreath, I went to work on the flowers.  I made two peonies and a carnation, using directions from Martha Stewart Weddings.  One of the peonies is made of book pages.  You just use floral tape to stick your "petals" onto your wire "stem."  I used crepe paper for the other flowers and the book cover (a lovely green) for the leaves.

After that, I just positioned the floral features, added craft glue to the bare ends of the wires, and jabbed them into place!

The finished product:

And a close-up on some of the excitement contained on the wreath.  Sorry for the lack of focus.  Hopefully you HP fans can make out some significant phrases:
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011 09:27:48 PM by AngelProjekt » THIS ROCKS   Logged
elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011 10:23:11 PM »

That is a lovely way to remember a well-loved book.  and a beautiful thing to hang in a library or reading room.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
momcuellar
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011 07:49:54 AM »

Pretty and great green project!!   The wheels in my mind are already turning!!

Izzy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Catch a Falling Star & Put It In Your Pocket, Never Let It Fade Away.
Catch a Falling Star & Put It In Your Pocket, Save It For A Rainy Day.
Dragonflower
Ecraftic

YAY!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011 10:05:23 AM »

That's so sweet!
My mother is a librarian and she would love this. I'll have to ask her to hang on to the next book that has to be retired.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In the end, only kindness matters.
cassiem
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011 08:04:20 PM »

That's beautiful, and literary.  I love it!  Great way to make sure well-loved books get a second chance to be loved, and an excellent tutorial.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cranberrry2001
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011 09:01:42 PM »

this is so adorable!! Smiley just stunning! Thank you for sharing!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TangledUpNBlue
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011 09:14:48 AM »

As a book lover, I think this is awesome!  Great way to retire those well loved pages!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ The Grass is Always Greener Over the Septic Tank ~
thoughtspeech
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011 09:37:19 PM »

Even if I'm an HP fan and my heart dies a little at the sight of a torn up HP book, I admit that this would be a good idea for an old book.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AngelProjekt
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011 07:35:44 PM »

I'm a big HP fan, too.  It makes my heart cry to see the books fall to pieces - that's why I like taking the pages out of the well-loved copies and turning them into something new!  (One reason I love this wreath so much is that, through my strip technique, I got to use a lot of phrases from a lot of my favorite scenes!  There are some deaths, some first kisses, some potions and spells...)

Also a ginormous Hunger Games fan, but those are in the adult collection, and thus out of my get-while-the-gettin's-good jurisdiction.  Sigh.

Thanks to everyone for your kind words!  Having not posted a project on the site before, it feels like I'm being welcomed home! Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tree.hugger.chick
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011 10:22:08 PM »

I love this! I have a couple of books I'll need to retire soon (I belong to a big family of readers, so we pass books around until they're missing several pages), but I always hate to just throw a book away, even if it's in terrible shape. This would be an awesome way to use a book or two up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Alessandra Ambrosio Winter Look
Best Dressed With Petra Nemcova
Worst Dressed With Petra Nemcova
Wear Black and White For the Holidays and Stand Out
A Sexy and Affordable Solution for What to Wear on Date Night
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...