A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,547
Currently Running With Scissors:
673 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lotta Jansdotter's All Day Tote in black and pink  (Read 1810 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shanaelle
« on: August 31, 2011 04:41:56 PM »

After years of having this fabric, I've finally gotten around to finishing this bag. I actually ended up cutting out two sets of pieces for this bag so this first bag was dubbed the Experiment, which is a good thing as I have learned quite a few things from my first experience of making a bag.

The combination of the outer fabric, a lightweight canvas, from what I can tell, with white and pink designs on it, and the lining fabric, both a plain pink and a pink with white polka dots, looks really nice all put together. (Pattern taken from Lotta Jansdotter's Simple Sewing.) However, the whole piece really needs interfacing, because the bag literally falls in on itself. I'm sure you can tell by looking at some of the photos. I can't take this one apart very easily as I've stitched some heavy plastic material into the bottom pieces, between the lining and the exterior. I'm not sure what it's called, but I know I bought it for this project. Plus I was ready for that bag to retire. (Other sewers, if you have a poor experiment like this, what do you do with it?)

I'm not sure WHY it didn't occur to me to apply interfacing to the side pieces before I put it together, since I can't really undo everything at this point. I'll definitely make some additional modifications to the pattern the next time I do it. This time, the only major modifications I made were, I lined the two exterior pockets, I left out the key hook thing, and I used some piping on the front pocket instead of twill tape. When I go through round two to make the final product, the one I'll give to my cousin, I'll definitely add interfacing to all of the exterior pieces. Oh, and I'll extend the straps so that it can be worn over the shoulder, and possibly add a snap or invisible magnet closure to the top center of the bag. It's a shame this bag's sides are so damn floppy as opposed to the bottom, as it's so darn cute.

back view

front view

interior with pocket

action shot with exterior pockets filled

THIS ROCKS   Logged
mypretties

Stitching Dreams, one thread at a time

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011 04:46:02 PM »

Cute bag! I love the pink fabrics too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011 05:04:27 PM »

Awesome bag!  Great design and nifty fabric. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vixen72
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011 05:06:56 PM »

Really cute..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
me04071986
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011 08:35:32 PM »

You can always take some pieces of boning (you know the stuff that gives corsets their shape) and cover it with a corresponding material, and sew it to the seams. Will add some more character to your bag, and provide some stiffness... 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm just another stitch in time...
shanaelle
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011 06:19:12 AM »

thanks guys Smiley

You can always take some pieces of boning (you know the stuff that gives corsets their shape) and cover it with a corresponding material, and sew it to the seams. Will add some more character to your bag, and provide some stiffness... 

Oh, I never thought of that. I'll pick up some boning this weekend and give that a try for my next one Smiley thank you!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sharalee
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

www.wists.com/SharaLee http://pinterest.com/sharalee3/pins/?filter=likes

Retired Hairstylist/Crafter

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011 08:43:17 AM »

It's very pretty I love the colors. Cheesy How about putting a purse organizer in the bottom. There's a easy one to make that works very well. At least it might help. Next time don't forget to use interfacing!  Good Luck!! Wink Here is a link for the organizer.
 http://thegivingflower.de/?p=920
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.craftysisters-sharalee.blogspot.com

"Yet Another TM Patch Swap" RD 2/
"Craft My Pet for Me Swap"/Partner/
"Fabric Art Journal RD 3 Swap"/Partners/
"Make Purse & Wallet Swap/

Will do personal swaps!! I make Art Dolls/Junker Jane Dolls/also Teesha Moore Patches/Felt Badges
mochawildchild
Francine - Mochawildchild

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011 07:54:16 AM »

What I do with projects that didn't come out quite, but I can't bear to take it apart or throw it away: Give it to a little girl, she'll love it and you won't have to look at your mistakes all the time :-)  although I think the bag looks great - good luck on your real thing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Padester
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011 06:36:50 PM »

Here's a thought for a fix for the bag (which *is* really cute, BTW) - could you make another lining for it and just sew it in over the current lining?  You could add the interfacing to the lining, and maybe sew through all layers at the side seams of the bag - maybe that would help it hold its shape a bit better??  I've not tried this method, but I think it's what I would do in your circumstances.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Brick Oven Style Prosciutto Arugula Pizza
Bacon and Escarole Pizza Recipe
Best Foods For Tailgating At The Game And At Home
How to Cook Bacon Perfectly
How to Fry Bacon
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...