A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,634
Currently Running With Scissors:
512 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My Inspirational Quilt  (Read 1807 times)
Tags for this thread: quilt  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

spencerisgod
« on: August 29, 2011 06:01:40 PM »

This is gunna be long one because I feel as though this quilt has an amazing story.
Last winter I was working on a quilt for my boyfriend at the local high school's musical I volunteer at. A mom of a cast member asked me if I could make a quilt for her. Her grandmother had left her a bunch of squares that she had cut but couldn't put together before she passed. This mom wanted the quilt made for her daughter who never got to have a quilt from her great-grandmother, but she had no quilting skills herself. So I agreed.
When she gave me the squares she also brought the quilt her grandmother made her so I could get an idea of she made her quilts and do it as accuratly as possible. As she was showing me the stuff, she was pointing out how the squares she was giving me were cut from the same cloth of squares in her quilt, and her mother's quilt. Some were the same fabric as a dress her grandmother made her in kindergarten and the same as fabric used to make doll clothes for her mom when she was a kid. It was so amazing to see the connections:) I knew this was a really important quilt.

So the first thing I did like her grandmother was the diagonal design. It was tricky because there were three patches her grandmother had already sewn that needed to be included (the quilt wouldnt have been right without them).

The next thing was that her grandmother used a flannel like blanket for the batting, so I did the same and I am actually in love with this technique:) I feel like it makes it homeyer.

And the last thing was her grandmother used a sheet for backing, which is another technique I fell in love with! It also ended up that I used a green sheet very similar to the green sheet used in the quilt she showed me, so it made it even more special.

When I gave her the completed quilt...the look on her face proved how much the quilt meant to her and her daughter, to have a piece of their grandmother even after she was gone. It made me realize I want to do this for the rest of my life. I want to quilt and make people feel good, feel like that. This quilt was my inspiration and I have to thank her grandmother for that.

And thank you guys for reading my story and looking at the second quilt I've completed! Comments and critiques are always welcome:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fiddlegirl8
Sew, Sew Happy!!

Are you going to throw that away?! Can I have it?!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011 06:18:40 PM »

Your quilt is awesome - and your heart is pure gold!  So wonderful for you to perform such a service of love.  Isn't quilting great?!  I like quilting for others too.  Good job!!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oh, give me a home where the buffalo roam...  (Kansas State Song)
hgddm

What a piece of work is man!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011 09:22:52 PM »

That's a wonderful story, and the quilt looks lovely. My grandmother made me a quilt before she died and it's one of the most meaningful memories of her that I have. Keep up the awesome work! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011 10:23:54 PM »

Love the story and love the quilt.  The best quilts are those made with love for someone else.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mellifermoore
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011 03:11:59 AM »

Thank you for sharing this lovely story, the quilt is beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NotKnit

My best works.

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011 07:08:23 AM »

That is so sweet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amalgam
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011 09:04:55 AM »

What a beautiful story. This is the same reason I like to quilt. It lets you be able to touch the heart of someone else.Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have an UFO(Unfinished Object) that you want to see get done? Join the Finish My UFO Swap! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=433415.0#axzz31MVlWM80

http://www.wists.com/liko_2000
http://pinterest.com/liko_2000
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011 11:57:04 AM »

I love stories like this one!  It shows how we can celebrate our connectedness through our sewing and crafting...how lovely of you to take on this personal and challenging task for someone...and make them a memory to cherish and pass on for generations--each one telling a story of the fabrics in the quilt, the person it came from, etc.  We truly do live on through the memories of others...

Thanks for sharing...your quilt is homey and colorful...simple yet meaningful...*sigh*  it also reminds me of why I love to sew and quilt more and more as each year passes...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smarvelous
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011 06:36:38 PM »

thats really special, how nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eamea
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011 09:57:50 PM »

I treasure the quilts I have from family members who have passed, and it's so sweet of you to do this for that family.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's one in every family, and I'm an only child.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Portrait Photography Basics
Selecting an Everyday White Balance Setting
Time Lapse Photography Tips
How to Shoot at Night Without a Flash
Cropping in Camera
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...