A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,634
Currently Running With Scissors:
488 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Branching Out scarf knit-along  (Read 62136 times)
Tags for this thread: scarf  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pikabean
also known as Natch

cross my heart and kiss my elbows!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #580 on: January 28, 2007 09:13:49 PM »

so I know this kal is ages old, but I want to attempt this scarf for my mom's birthday.  I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for yarn substitutions and/or tips for first time lace knitters?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vasetthi

Iron Goddess of Mercy

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: January 29, 2007 12:04:28 PM »

so I know this kal is ages old, but I want to attempt this scarf for my mom's birthday.  I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for yarn substitutions and/or tips for first time lace knitters?

I made this a while ago, and don't remember what yarn I used, but I definitely have a suggestion for a first time lace knitter: RELAX!  This was my first lace project, and I was knitting so tightly when I started that I made it nearly impossible.  As I went on and was less stressed about it, it was so much easier (and looked way better).  So just take it slow and take lots of deep breaths!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You know, for kids.
IamSusie
« Reply #582 on: January 29, 2007 03:33:50 PM »

Although I have vowed to never again try knitting lace... I have heard of a useful thing called a "lifeline" in this thread.  Read back a bit or do a search.  I think it would have helped my frustration substantially.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pikabean
also known as Natch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #583 on: January 29, 2007 04:01:54 PM »

I looked up lifelines on knitting help and they look easy enough and like a great idea!  I'll definitely use those when I give this a shot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #584 on: February 09, 2007 03:56:44 PM »

I never did post finished pics of the garnet-colored *mumblemumble* et soie branching out I was working on (and freaking out about).

Detail shot:

And almost the full length, blocking diagonally across a queen sized bed. In retrospect, it's fortunate I ran out of yarn:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

snowwhitesuicide
Thrash&Burn

Another twenty-something knitter with an attitude.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #585 on: February 11, 2007 05:44:16 PM »

Knitting lace without a lifeline is like jumping out of a plane with and umbrella. USE THE LIFELINE!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Margarita Miss

cuervo on the rocks ... salted rim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #586 on: February 12, 2007 12:18:54 PM »

I finished my branching out a few weeks ago and just now noticed your knit-a-long so I thought I'd post.  I love seeing how differently everyone's turn out.  I used a mohair blend and size 6 mm. needles and did 25 repeats of the lace pattern.  I can't believe how much the look and the length of this scarf changed after I blocked it.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2010 01:38:03 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

pikabean
also known as Natch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #587 on: February 16, 2007 08:53:41 PM »

I finally got over my fears and got started!  I think it's looking pretty good so far.  I've done 5 repeats now, but the last picture I took was after three.  (After I took this I had to frog the last repeat and re-do it because of a mistake... but thanks so much for life lines!! <3)

it's not as terrifying or as hard as I thought, though it still presents a challenge and certainly makes for a more interesting scarf.

more info and pics on my blog.

edit: I am now up to 13 repeats, and I hope to do at least 2 more today.  It's going a little slow, but probably not much slower than another, more boring scarf, so I'm really thrilled.  And life lines are a complete... life saver! ;P
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007 10:32:44 AM by pikabean » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitters Delight
Knitters Delight

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: April 12, 2007 03:48:21 PM »

It looks like I might be late in the game, but I'm planning on starting Knitty.com's Branching Out this weekend as a mini-project to use up some remaining Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk DK weight yarn. I think it'll be a nice combo.

Susan
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lizellis22
« Reply #589 on: April 12, 2007 08:00:05 PM »

I am about half-done with mine, in Fiesta La Luz in poppies.  Everyone's look so good I decided I had to make this to use up the skein I bought on impulse from the knithappens sale.  I will post when it is done!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Peach-Blackberry Tart
Buttercream Frosting Recipe Decorated For Fall
Apple and Honey Layered Crepe Dessert Recipe
Apple Cinnamon Bundt Cake Recipe
How to Make Chocolate Panna Cotta
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...