A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,082
Currently Running With Scissors:
712 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 60
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Branching Out scarf knit-along  (Read 61222 times)
Tags for this thread: scarf  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

carriel1975
« Reply #540 on: July 15, 2006 01:40:15 AM »

7 feet long  Shocked wow, you are so clever to do the two sides seperately. I really dont know about the blocking, I was thinking about that last night, i've never blocked anything before & its going to be a toughie finding somewhere big enough to do it.

For anyone new to lace i'd highly recommend popping in a life line, I pop one through after every couple of repeats, then if I get interrupted & make a mistake, I have a place to rip down to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elijor
« Reply #541 on: July 15, 2006 08:18:09 AM »

how do I block such a long scarf?
If I hung it on a closeline or one of those laundry racks, would it come out with ugly lumps where it had been draped over the metal/rope?

The laundry rack won't really work for two reasons; first off you are correct there would be lumps, secondly you can't really "block" on a rack.

To get the full effect of blocking you need to spread the scarf out in both direction but probably more widthwise than lengthwise. I'd suggest you "steam block" since the scarf is so long - it takes less time. Here's how I did mine:

Spread a long towel or two on a surface that won't be damaged by steam (ironing board or carpeted floor works great). Lay out as much of the scarf as you can and block it however you want (pins or whatever). Fill iron up with water and hold the iron just slightly above, not touching, the scarf to steam it. Let the section cool (5 minutes or so - I think the longer you let it cool the better the effect). Lay out the next section and repeat. Since you aren't waiting for a wet piece to dry it goes faster than traditional blocking.

Extra tip - you can buy thin wire rods to block with but welding rods are much less expensive. You thread the very thin metal rods along each side of the scarf then you just pin the ends and maybe the middle. Much less pinning and the sides stay straight.

Wow this is long than I meant - oh well - hope it's helpful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
neggie
« Reply #542 on: July 15, 2006 09:09:51 AM »

Extremely helpful, thank you! I'd heard that steam blocking works well for lace projects, I just didn't quite know how to go about it, and now I do! It sounds very quick and easy, hopefully I can do it this weekend!

You can tell I'm a n00b because I didn't even consider not being able to pin on a laundry rack. Common sense=low. Tongue

And thanks for the tip about the welding rods-- I'll look into it!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

astronogirl
« Reply #543 on: July 15, 2006 04:32:41 PM »

I'm not going to read through 55 pages, so apologies if someone asked this before, but I'm having issues with the sl-k2tog-psso parts.  Does psso mean that the stitch goes over the previous ones and off the needles completely?  It looks strange that way.  The right side of my scarf looks correct, and the left side looks a bit wonky, as well.

Helpies?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I do personal swappies!  Just PM me!

I'm also looking for a date to the winter dance...

Wisties!!!! - www.wists.com/astronogirl
Amethyst
« Reply #544 on: July 15, 2006 05:39:21 PM »

I'm not going to read through 55 pages, so apologies if someone asked this before, but I'm having issues with the sl-k2tog-psso parts.  Does psso mean that the stitch goes over the previous ones and off the needles completely?  It looks strange that way.  The right side of my scarf looks correct, and the left side looks a bit wonky, as well.

Helpies?

You're right, it means that it goes right off the needle. You slip a stitch from one needle to the other, knit two together, then pass the slipped stitch over the stitch made from the k2tog. Just keep going, it'll work out. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

astronogirl
« Reply #545 on: July 15, 2006 06:25:19 PM »

Ok, thanks!  I love how craftsters are so helpful.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I do personal swappies!  Just PM me!

I'm also looking for a date to the winter dance...

Wisties!!!! - www.wists.com/astronogirl
hoontan
« Reply #546 on: July 18, 2006 11:10:31 AM »

I have *finished* branching out using one skein of Noro Big Kureyon #12. Just want to share post with you.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

hoontan
« Reply #547 on: July 18, 2006 02:21:29 PM »

Huh My pictures are not coming up. I have them in my new blog http://hooney.blogspot.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PrincessJazz
« Reply #548 on: July 18, 2006 02:26:58 PM »

Your pictures didn't show for me either so I right-clicked on each, scrolled down the little pop-up menu to "properties," highlighted the url address there, copy and pasted it into my browser, hit "Go" and then the picture showed up.  When I hit "back" to come back to this thread then the pic was there. 

I also looked at your blog.  The colours in that scarf are very beautiful!  (And so is your Lady Eleanor!)  Great job.

Jazz
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shutupnlisten39
« Reply #549 on: July 18, 2006 10:42:29 PM »

I have just started branching out and I am already frustrated!! I am on row 1 (after the 5 rows of garter st) and I'm stuck.

If you cast on 25 sts, how will you have enough sts to do the ssk and k2tog? I was 3/4 through the row when I counted the remaining sts to be knitted and realized there weren't enough sts for the pattern.

Please, please help me!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 60 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon SD770 IS: Set for Sports Scene
Canon SD770 IS: Set for Product Photography
Canon SD770 IS: Set for Portrait Scene
Canon SD770 IS: Set for People-in-Landscape Scene
Canon SD770 IS: Set for Indoor Scene
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...