A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 298,054
Currently Running With Scissors:
736 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 60
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Branching Out scarf knit-along  (Read 63425 times)
Tags for this thread: scarf  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ilsa

...but what do I know.

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: May 10, 2005 03:03:09 AM »

After two days of false starts I have finally finished (correctly) one repetition of the lace pattern! Such a powerful feeling! I can now do four stitches that I couldn't do before. I'm reading the chart instead of the written instructions. I had started to do this scarf in what I thought was a mohair blend but took that apart when I realized that the (recycled kids sweater) yarn was 100% acrylic. (I have this persistent delusion that it won't block right.)

Now working on this scarf in Peaches & Creme cotton yarn in Ecru. I'm planning to dye/paint the scarf. I'll post pre- and post-painting pictures when I'm done.

So grateful for craftster knitalongs! I work graveyard shift and use knitting to keep me awake during downtime. I don't know anyone who is awake at 3am to call and burble at excitedly because I just knit an two inches of lace.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dramageek
« Reply #241 on: May 10, 2005 09:48:20 AM »

After two days of false starts I have finally finished (correctly) one repetition of the lace pattern! Such a powerful feeling! I can now do four stitches that I couldn't do before. I'm reading the chart instead of the written instructions.

I know! I still find the Sl2K1P2S decrease really annoying - not difficult, just annoying! And I've really gotten the hang of chart reading - wait until you've completed a few more repeats, it just gets easier and easier as the stitch combinations start to make more sense.

I'm well into my scarf, not sure how many repeats but I've got about 18" done. I highly recommend running a lifeline every few repeats. I used dental floss but you can use any yarn that will easily pull out when you're done. I've already had to rip back to a lifeline a couple of times. I also think they will come in handy when the scarf is blocked - you can see from the cast-on end that there is a dip which I m finding runs through the whole scarf - in other words, the lifelines also bend instead of being a straight line. Having them there when it's being blocked will help keep the pattern nice and even - I can pin the lifelines into a straight line and make sure the grain of the scarf is even (does that make any sense whatsoever?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ax174
« Reply #242 on: May 10, 2005 02:43:20 PM »

Here's my progress.  I'm using Estelle Watercolours. It's been slow-going.  I tend to screw up on row 7, often confusing it with row 9.

Here's a detail, along with WIP socks which I pick up when I get too frustrated with the scarf:

« Last Edit: March 10, 2010 01:38:18 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

beebiz

Pool on the roof must have a leak.

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 11, 2005 04:58:22 AM »

It's done, it's done, it's done.  Wow, this took me a long time.  I started this when the KAL started, but due to a whole bunch of stuff happening, had to be put on the back burner.  But, I would like to present:

It was a fun project, and I will probably do another one.  The biggest problem that I had was keeping track of my own work.  I was marking every row as I finished, but then  I would forget to put a mark down.  I had to unknit a couple of rows only to realize I had forgotten to put marks down.  Augh....

But I like how it turned out, and I know my mommy will love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
socksforphlox

Livin' the dream

View Profile WWW
« Reply #244 on: May 11, 2005 05:41:39 AM »

It looks fantastic, beebiz.  I love seeing the project finished in moss, I think yours is the first!  Great job everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My knitting blog: Random Wooly Thoughts
worthwhilegirl
my metal baby

We can't all be girl scouts Millie.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #245 on: May 11, 2005 06:31:11 AM »

beebiz, yours looks beautiful! Just like the picture!! I am sure your mom will love it! I am going to make one for my mom's birthday- I guess it is the hip gifts for mom in the knitting set!

ax174, that color is AMAZING!! Your scarf is going to be beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.betweenstupidandclever.com
yep I got a knitting blog

-It's making me blue, Pantone 292....
WildIrishRose

So then I says to Mabel, I says...

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 11, 2005 12:43:13 PM »

I know! I still find the Sl2K1P2S decrease really annoying - not difficult, just annoying!
Is that in the Branching Out pattern?  I'm neary done with mine, and I don't recall running across a pattern instruction like that.

eta-I just reviewed the pattern on knitty.com and I think I figured out what you're talking about--in the pattern it's sl2k1p2sso...when I saw "sl2k1p2s" I thought you meant the last two stitches were purled.  Never mind my confusion...I'm at work and it's hard to focus on important things like knitting and the internet when my bosses are hovering.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005 12:51:21 PM by WildIrishRose » THIS ROCKS   Logged
daria

and how does lemur skin reflect the sea?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #247 on: May 11, 2005 12:46:58 PM »

beebiz, your scarf is absolutely gorgeous.  great job!  I really love that yarn you used.  That is a wonderful shade of green.  goes well with the whole branch and leaf motif.

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Jose brought up the blueprints for a new ranch house. . .I have this strange feeling that the blueprints and the knitting instructions got switched. . ."

I May Be Knitting A Ranch House
dramageek
« Reply #248 on: May 12, 2005 06:04:08 AM »

WildIrishRose - yep, that's the one, I just didn't write it down very well! Sorry to confuse!

beebiz - your scarf is stunning! It's almost exactly the same color of mine, but with a thicker yarn I think. What yarn did you use?

Wow, I really can't wait to get mine done and blocked now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

arameal
« Reply #249 on: May 12, 2005 04:13:14 PM »

Just started knitting this the other day with some birthday yarn! The yarn is Feza Kid Mohair and I think it is going to knit up in big wide stripes...we'll see. So far it's just a wee baby little scarf...haven't even made it to the second color (light blue) yet.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 60 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Start Your Own Scrapbook
Off Book: Etsy Art and Culture
How to Hold a Crochet Hook
How to Slip Stitch Crochet
How to Make a Foundation Chain
Latest Blog Articles
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...