A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,587
Currently Running With Scissors:
553 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 60
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Branching Out scarf knit-along  (Read 62070 times)
Tags for this thread: scarf  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crabby
Tall, crabby, crafty.

This dog rules

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: May 03, 2005 07:30:10 PM »

Hey all!  I've been stalking this KAL, and now I finally have something to post - a WIP!

I'm making this as a gift for my mom, who is <conveniently> allergic to all wools.  In a fit of indecision about which cotton yarn to sub, I chose Rowan Cotton Glace.  It's pretty yarn, and soft, but may have been a poor choice for lace knitting.  Well, live and learn, so I am forging on ahead anyway!  If it totally sucks, I'll knit her another one, and being a mom, she will love them both.  Here's what I've got so far:
There is a glaring error at the end of the first repeat row, but I'm hoping that it will blend in when the scarf is in action.  The cotton does not show the lace very well at all, but I'm still really enjoying the pattern and am hopeful that the finished product will look okay.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hobbit54
« Reply #211 on: May 03, 2005 10:43:34 PM »

okay so im really bad at this.

this is the first real thing i am attempting to do using a pattern and of course i cant even get past row 1.  they as for 25 cast on stitchs, but when i try to do the first row, those 25 stiches are never enough to complete the row! i dont understand why i cant figure this out and i know im probably being real stupid and missing something.

any help?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I got static in my head, the reflected sound of everything, Tried to go to where it led, but it didn't lead to anything" - eliott smith
jacqui
« Reply #212 on: May 03, 2005 11:43:43 PM »

hobbit, i'm not sure what's the answer to your question. there should be enough stitches. the reason you end up with 31 stitches is because the yo's adds to the count. maybe you're getting the abbreviations wrong?

this was my first lace work, so i had a tough time at the beginning too. but after a couple of repeats it goes really smoothly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hobbit54
« Reply #213 on: May 04, 2005 12:34:12 AM »

i know im being dumb but this is what im being dumb about. when i look at what it wants for row 1 it says this:

k3, ssk, yo, k5, [yo, k1] 5 times, yo, k5, yo, k2tog, k3

when i count up how many stiches that requires,

3+2+1+5+10+1+5+1+2+3 = 32, 7 more than the 25 i have on my needles. i know that you are supposed to have 31 when you finish the row but i cant finish it because i cant figure out why the 25 are not enough.

if only i could figure out the retarded mistake i am making, i re-read what all the abbreviations mean and i had them all right....  Huh  i feel like such an idiot  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I got static in my head, the reflected sound of everything, Tried to go to where it led, but it didn't lead to anything" - eliott smith
jacqui
« Reply #214 on: May 04, 2005 01:37:09 AM »

Well for a yo, you don't need a stitch. You just bring the yarn to the front. So if you don't count those, that's 25. 31 is the number of stitches you end up with on your needle when you're done.

Here's a really helpful page:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/increase.php
Scroll to the bottom on the right side for a video on yo.

Don't worry about it. We're here to help each other out!  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 04, 2005 01:41:32 AM by jacqui » THIS ROCKS   Logged
hobbit54
« Reply #215 on: May 04, 2005 02:03:00 AM »

haha! yes, that is it.  i looked it up wheni first looked at the pattern and i guess i misunderstood it, thank you so very much =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jacqui
« Reply #216 on: May 04, 2005 05:59:22 AM »

No problem. Post a WIP when you get a chance. I love to see everyone's progress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sewer Rat
Fabric will be my downfall!

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 04, 2005 06:25:59 AM »

Crabby, your scarf is really pretty-- very versatile for any season.  How is working with cotton?  Does it split?  I can't wait to see your finished scarf!

My first B.O. scarf had tons of mistakes.  I was just glad I survived the experience of knitting lace for the first time.  For my third B.O. I'm using a lifeline (Thanks for the idea, poordumbbird) and am able to rip out any mistakes.  I also wrote out the pattern on spiral-bound index cards, one row per page and highlighted lines in different colors. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Organ donation rocks!  Recycle, reuse!
dramageek
« Reply #218 on: May 04, 2005 08:15:46 AM »

Here's where I'm at so far:

I'm using a double strand of Knitpicks Alpaca Cloud in Moss, on size 6 Addi Turbos. I tried straight needles, I tried bamboo, but I just keep coming back to my beloved Addis! I thought they might be too slippery for this yarn, but that's not the case so far. I love the fine gauge of the yarn and it's so soft! As you can see, I had to pin it out a bit to show off the pattern - it will definitely benefit from blocking.

I had two false starts - once when I tried a larger needle and found my stitches to be too loopy, and once when I finally realized that it really is easier to work from the chart! Seriously, if you're having trouble keeping up with all the written instructions, give the chart a try. I found it much easier to refer to a symbol rather than multiple words. It just takes a bit of getting used to reading from right to left.

Both of these mistakes only resulted in a few rows being ripped out. Yesterday, after a glass of wine (wine & lace don't mix, y'all!) I realized I had missed a yarnover - I am very proud of myself because I managed to un-knit a couple of rows and pick up the missed yarnover. Now I am running lifelines every few repeats - I dodged a bullet on that first mistake, don't want to have to rip the whole thing out when I'm near the end!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

justlease
« Reply #219 on: May 04, 2005 09:39:25 AM »

I'm not sure if anyone has suggested this yet or not, but if you color code your chart, it makes it even easier to deal with.  I printed my chart bigger (just opened the chart image in photoshop and resized it and printed it from there) and using colored pencils, colored each kind of stitch a different color. 

It made a WORLD of difference, let me tell ya.

Here's my finished scarf in Silky Wool (#10 Woad): 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tell me, are you a badfish too?

scattered-knitting.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 60 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Blake Lively Sports a Striped Body Hugging Gown on the Savages Red Carpet
How to Walk in High Heeled Slingbacks
Mila Kunis and Michelle Williams Give Us Two Takes on the LBD
Jessica Stam Talks About Her Summer Style at the Coach Party
3 Cool Ways to Wear Printed Floral Jeans
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...