A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,586
Currently Running With Scissors:
489 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 60
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Branching Out scarf knit-along  (Read 62130 times)
Tags for this thread: scarf  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Shmooey
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2005 11:11:45 AM »

Just cast on for this scarf.
Using no 8 needles, and  GGH Carn GroBhandel Hamburg GmbH Soft-kid yarn, in a maauve or dark purply colour. I dont know if this will work but its all that i have on hand that looks close to the picture.

Never knitted lace before, so i am very nervous!

http://www.theknittinggarden.com/ggh-softkid.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
worthwhilegirl
my metal baby

We can't all be girl scouts Millie.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2005 11:24:30 AM »

I just got home & checked my stash before a run to the LYS. I have a skein of cascade 220 in bluebell that I think I will use. It should work well for me since I have never done any lace work before & I may need to frog it -not being pessimistic, just realistic  Wink

I only have a wee bit left on the baby sweater & I think I may put it on the back burner to start this!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2005 11:33:51 AM by worthwhilegirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.betweenstupidandclever.com
yep I got a knitting blog

-It's making me blue, Pantone 292....
EmilyFlew
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

..sweets4ever is so rad..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2005 11:31:57 AM »

Yeah, I definitely want to make this scarf! I have a tiny little skein of angora (I think) I've been saving for something like this. I'm going to make it half as wide, though, and see how that works. I'm excited to try knitting lace--I've played around with it before and it's not as intimidating as it seems, and it looks super impressive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

technocutie, handmade iPod cases and felt accoutrements
thoughts and days.

I <3 the mod squad ladies!
beebiz

Pool on the roof must have a leak.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2005 11:35:57 AM »

Ok, count me in...I just ordered my yarn and now I must patiently (not) wait.  This will be my first attempt at lace too.  But it's soooo pretty!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Shmooey
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2005 11:39:38 AM »

Omg i cant beleive im stuck already!

Row 1 [RS]: k3, ssk, yo, k5, [yo, k1] 5 times, yo, k5, yo, k2tog, k3 (31 sts)

Okay ive got the k3 and the ssk, but ive never done a yarn-over.... I looked at stitch guide and it looks like you put your right needle up through the stitch like normal, wrap your yarn around the needle, and just dont complete the rest of the stitch... do i have that right? Well what do i do from there? Pull the stitch thats still on the left needle off? Im not sure what to knit into next, for the next five stitches!

Help please! im sitting here with my needles in hand, and confused like a little bunny
THIS ROCKS   Logged
midnightsky1686
Midnightsky Fibers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2005 11:44:41 AM »

to do a yo you just wrap the yarn over the needle:
 knitting help (which is great for basic q's) has a great link to yo's here: http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/increase.php (scroll down)

i know there are also some great links for people starting to knit lace that explains blocking, life lines, basis of knitting lace, etc but im on a comp at school so dont have my fav list.

i think cascade 220 will block out well and be easy to see the pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midnightsky Fibers
Naturally Dyed Textiles
Blog
Yarns and Fibers Handmade in the Pacific NW
ithnkuno
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2005 11:55:05 AM »

Yeah, I definitely want to make this scarf! I have a tiny little skein of angora (I think) I've been saving for something like this. I'm going to make it half as wide, though, and see how that works. I'm excited to try knitting lace--I've played around with it before and it's not as intimidating as it seems, and it looks super impressive.

If you figure out the modifications to the pattern to make it 1/2 as wide let me know! I'd love that!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.monkeyandme.etsy.com
http://www.myspace.com/ithnkuno
"every child is born an artist, the challenge is how to remain an artist when they grow up." picasso
worthwhilegirl
my metal baby

We can't all be girl scouts Millie.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2005 11:59:29 AM »

to do a yo you just wrap the yarn over the needle:
 knitting help (which is great for basic q's) has a great link to yo's here: http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/increase.php (scroll down)

i know there are also some great links for people starting to knit lace that explains blocking, life lines, basis of knitting lace, etc but im on a comp at school so dont have my fav list.

i think cascade 220 will block out well and be easy to see the pattern.

Thanks! I really like cascade 220 as it is forgiving. It seemed like that would be good for my first attempt at lace! I appreciate your opinion on it! That makes me feel better & I am sure my husband will be thrilled that I can start something without spending any money! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.betweenstupidandclever.com
yep I got a knitting blog

-It's making me blue, Pantone 292....
Shmooey
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2005 12:28:28 PM »

I am on row 5 now of the lace... i think im getting the hang of it... kinda? I wont know till ive done a whole set. But i do agree that i would probably prefer this in half the width, unless its going to be a table runner or something.. I may frog it if someone posts instructions for half width
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yogaknitty
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2005 12:39:09 PM »

Are you throwing your yarn with the right hand or left?    I see you plan to put the point of the needle in the stitch before yo.  No.  You have just completed SSk, and the yarn is in the back of your work, correct?  If you're knitting English/American style (throwing yarn with r.h.), simply pick up the yarn which is at the back of the work, and bring it OVER the top of the needle and around to the back again.  You have in effect, laid the yarn on top of ("over") the needle and created another stitch to be worked when you get to it on the next row.  Then proceed on to the next stitch and work it as directed. 

If you knit Continental as I do, simply use the tip of the r.h. needle to pick up the yarn and draw it over the needle before working the next stitch.  Remember, this yarn over isn't going INTO anything, just sitting there over and around the needle, until the next row when you work it as a stitch.  Is that clear as mud?  Let me know, sometimes I get yarned over in my speech!

I saw the scarf yesterday and printed it out, may have to join up too, will let you know!  Gorgeous, I love lace work!

Carolyn
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 60 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Homemade Goat Cheese Ice Cream Recipe
How to Make Rhubarb and White Chocolate Muffins
Foolproof Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe
How to Make Batman Cupcake Toppers
How to Make Captain America Cupcake Toppers
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto
@Home This Weekend: Celebrate Your State

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...