A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,037
Currently Running With Scissors:
611 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Looking for Brown butter cookie recipe  (Read 298 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jeha
« on: September 02, 2011 11:52:47 AM »

Just wondering if anyone has a recipe for brown butter cookies that they can recommend.  I used this recipe off a google search http://www.foodchannel.com/recipes/recipe/brown-butter-cookies/ and was not pleased with the results.  So before wasting too much butter trying random recipes. Anyone have any suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

brunoise

Eat anything, but if it bites back, boil it.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011 06:24:54 PM »

Wow, comparing my cookie recipe to this one, I see issues with it.

What I would do:

Firstly, use unsalted butter. I'd brown it as they said to but I would chill the butter until it reached a similar softened state to when you make chocochip cookies normally.

Secondly, the vanilla sugar is silly. Just use more *white* sugar, about 1 cup of white in my opinion, and vanilla (1.5 tsp is my norm [eyeballed of course]).

Thirdly, I'd compensate with a tsp of table salt. Salted butter would add much more salt to this recipe.

No, I haven't tried this. I made a hybrid with another cookie recipe that works for me. The recipe looks ok, just needs tweaking but I see what they're going after. I'd just be kinda wary about the flavor of the brown butter, it's robust but... this is an interesting predicament.

If that one didn't work out well, I'd look into almond cookies as their 'dough' is rather neutral because it makes way for the potent almond flavor...

:::EDIT:::
I'm looking too deep into this. These are butter cookies and there's a billion different recipes for this. Just brown the butter instead of using regular butter (unsalted!).

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/butter-cookies-ii/detail.aspx

^^^
I have no quarrels with this.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011 06:26:40 PM by brunoise » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Spice *IS* the spice of life.
jeha
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011 07:55:50 PM »

Thanks for the advice. I was wondering do you think subbing brown butter for regular would change the recipe too much because of the lack of water in brown butter?  That's the reason I decided to search the internet for a recipe in the first place. That in turn led me to make little roux ball cookies.  The brown butter flavor was awesome it was the texture that was really bad.  I think I will try the recipe you suggested but leave out the vanilla. I just want brown butter to be the main flavor.  Maybe I could add a little milk back to the butter once its cooled down some? If my next atttempt is a fail I will just make these financiers. Originally I was looking to make brown butter ice cream but all of the recipes I found were too involved or needed a ton of butter.
 http://michaellaiskonis.typepad.com/main/2008/02/color-is-flavor.html

Thanks again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

brunoise

Eat anything, but if it bites back, boil it.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011 08:08:40 PM »

Thanks for the advice. I was wondering do you think subbing brown butter for regular would change the recipe too much because of the lack of water in brown butter? 

Butter's water content is low to begin with, I really don't think it'd make much of a difference. Just don't quote me on that.

That's the reason I decided to search the internet for a recipe in the first place. That in turn led me to make little roux ball cookies.  The brown butter flavor was awesome it was the texture that was really bad.

Initially, I was going to ask what the issue was with the recipe but, that recipe is just bad.

I think I will try the recipe you suggested but leave out the vanilla. I just want brown butter to be the main flavor.  Maybe I could add a little milk back to the butter once its cooled down some? If my next atttempt is a fail I will just make these financiers. Originally I was looking to make brown butter ice cream but all of the recipes I found were too involved or needed a ton of butter.

Thanks again.

I would HIGHLY discourage adding milk back into butter because milk and the 'milk' in butter are highly different. I would also discourage not adding vanilla. I understand that you want the delicious brown butter to be dominant but as I've experienced, "Salt is to cooking as vanilla is to baking." Just use less, 1/2tsp would be suffice. As to the labor intensiveness, that's what makes the difference from a good dish to a great dish, but that's just my philosophy. Brown butter ice cream sounds insanely good.

Best of luck all the same.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Spice *IS* the spice of life.
jeha
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011 08:32:16 PM »

I haven't totally given up on brown butter ice cream.  Just read an interesting post about browning butter with the addition of nonfat milk powder to intensify flavor.  That might work to boost flavor in ice cream without using a sick amount of butter.  I will post result if all goes well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Oscars 2014 Red Carpet Fashion Roundup
How to Refresh Your Denim for Spring
Melissa Garcia Shares Celebrity Style Secrets
How to Pull Off the Menswear Look
7 Most Unforgettable Gowns From the Oscars
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...