A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 307,994
Currently Running With Scissors:
292 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 199
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wee House Craftalong-Ongoing 2011-Forever!  (Read 453640 times)
Tags for this thread: dollhouse , miniature  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Madra
« Reply #1470 on: October 22, 2012 07:19:54 PM »

Nice to meet you Ravens Snow and welcome! I don't think it's ever too late for this particular project, people seem to start and complete projects and start new ones all the time! I'm beginning to suspect this mini thing might be addictive, and possibly contagious....

I'm so sorry about the fire, that must have been devastating Sad I'm glad you've decided to start again, your two projects sounds wonderful and I can't wait to see your pictures!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ravens Snow
Concert & Coffee Addict

View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: October 23, 2012 06:33:45 AM »

This week I'm focusing on the bedroom, and I got a little bit done over the last couple of nights. I decided that my little bed needed a little quilt, celestial themed of course.

I used liquid starch to get it to drape correctly over the bed. I also made a little pillow.

Originally I had envisioned the bed being messed up, but I couldn't get the fabric to drape correctly that way. I like it looking neatly made, too, though.

Ashgrim

I'm just getting back into miniatures as my post says but to get my bedding to lay exactly where I wanted, whether perfectly or messed I put a layer or two of Aluminum Foil sandwiched between the top and back of the quilt. I use the cheapest brand or Dollar Store, as it's thinner and doesn't add unwanted bulk. Most of the time I've ended up using 2 layers. That way you can press it into whatever shape your looking for and it stays. I also use it under a table cloth which usually has a mind of it's own and wants to stand out at the corners.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” ....Oscar Wilde

Do you suffer from PCD? Project Completion Disorder. No cure.  No meds. No self help groups. lol!
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Make All Things, especially from stash

Need Pink Floyd stamps for hubby! Will Swap!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1472 on: October 23, 2012 06:55:04 AM »

What a clever idea!  I am sure your experience will be a great help to all of us!  I love learning new tips and tricks since I am new to this wonderful craft of creating a fantasy house!  It is hard for me to stay focused and keep my interest level up when I get frustrated because I don't know where to start or what to do!

Thanks Ravens Snow--I hope you will share your crafts and give us more ideas! Cheesy
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012 06:55:20 AM by alwaysinmyroom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ravens Snow
Concert & Coffee Addict

View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: October 23, 2012 03:40:52 PM »

Thanks for the warm welcome Madra and alwaysinmyroom.

I have a question regarding adhesive's/glue.

It's been many years since I constructed my first house and adhesive's and glues have certainly changed a great deal and have came along way for crafter's and woodworker's.

I think basically the only choice for dollhouse construction was wood glue.

I was wondering what everyone's choice was regarding this...is one better over the other. I love woodglue, reminds me of many hours spent with my father in his workshoppe. But...it takes so long to dry and clapping is truly a pain and takes so much time that could be spend doing more fun things.

I'd love "veteren" house creator's input.

Thanks in advance...
Raven
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do you suffer from PCD? Project Completion Disorder. No cure.  No meds. No self help groups. lol!
anefariousimp
Addicted to cute and tiny things

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1474 on: October 23, 2012 07:10:08 PM »

I used Aleene's Tacky Glue for everything in my wee house - it was super strong and didn't take too much time to dry or for things to hold in place.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be strange. Be weird.  Be geeky. Embrace cuteness =)
www.anefariousimp.etsy.com
http://www.wists.com/anefariousimp
http://pinterest.com/anefariousimp/

***I don't do personal swaps - I was flaked on and it was not a great experience, however I am open to commissions***
Knickertwist
Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Gimme some sugar baby.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1475 on: October 23, 2012 07:22:05 PM »

I love the Aleene's Tacky too. I was told once that wood working glue is the best because it is meant for wood and won't warp over time but I haven't had any issues with the Aleene's AND it dries fairly quickly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ravens Snow
Concert & Coffee Addict

View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: October 24, 2012 09:15:15 AM »

Thanks for the information ladies.

On my way to the craft store so I'll pick up a bottle while there. I've used Aleene's for other projects but wasn't sure about using it on the dollhouse.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wwrich
« Reply #1477 on: October 24, 2012 07:37:08 PM »

I liked the wood glue I used in my wee house.  It seems a bit stronger and less flexible when dry than the Tacky Glue.  I used blue tape to hold things together while the glue dried.  I did have a few issues with the wood glue dripping after I left it alone, but so far, everything is holding together.

I do use the tacky glue for almost everything paper -- the flexible when dry is the key thing there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Obsessed with Monster High dolls lately.

In the Chicago area?  Want to come to a great crafty weekend?  Check out http://www.musecon.org/
Knickertwist
Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Gimme some sugar baby.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1478 on: October 25, 2012 07:49:09 AM »

About to start on my next house!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissingWillow
Sewing in General Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

'Best of 2014' Winner

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1479 on: October 25, 2012 07:54:15 AM »

What's the theme this time??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 199 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Placemat Shoulder Purse
We Can Do It!
Meatless Monday: Squash and Onion Galette

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...