A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,402
Currently Running With Scissors:
822 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 194
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wee House Craftalong-Ongoing 2011-Forever!  (Read 261099 times)
Tags for this thread: dollhouse  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

wwrich
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Elsbeth's Mom

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1360 on: July 01, 2012 08:17:40 AM »

Madra,

Welcome to Craftster!  Yes, there are some amazing people around here.

I love your rose window!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Obsessed with Monster High dolls lately.

In the Chicago area?  Want to come to a great crafty weekend?  Check out http://www.musecon.org/
spookygrrrly

glitter glue addict

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1361 on: July 01, 2012 08:40:42 AM »

Glad you have joined in Madra Smiley

I like both ideas that you have for your houses. As for getting started: at some point you need to just jump in and start working. You can plan yourself to death (I know I sure can) and one you get going it seems to make the decision process easier. I love you castle! It came out really cute and I like that it can still be played with. I think my daughter thought that she would be able to play with mine once it is done, but I had to burst her bubble that it wasn't that sort of dollhouse.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunny1kenobi

Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2013 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

« Reply #1362 on: July 01, 2012 09:19:05 AM »

Madra, I love your castle!! I pinned your mirror and rose window!  What did you paint the window on?  glass? plastic?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Madra
« Reply #1363 on: July 01, 2012 09:27:55 AM »

Thanks for the welcome ladies Smiley   I'm more than WILLING to jump in right now, but I don't dare til the castle is done and the resulting mess tidied away. My husband is oh so patient with my craft attacks and I don't want to push it. The castle still needs the stained glass windows to be painted and installed and the flooring to be completed. Plus a few accessories glued to the walls. The intention of this project was to have something that was fun to create, that I enjoy looking at, yet is safe and sturdy enough to be played with by my grandkids, aged 3, 5 and 7. They helped paint the peg people Smiley  

Question for you.... is it possible to paint Dollar Store plastic doll furniture with acrylic paints? I was thinking if maybe I sanded the pieces, painted and sealed...would that work or would it just peel?

@bunny1kenobi I painted on some sort of opaque and rather thick plastic from a fabric store. I don't know what it's called, a friend of mine uses it for the bases of her crocheted doll beds and she gives me the scraps Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Knickertwist
Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Gimme some sugar baby.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1364 on: July 01, 2012 09:32:35 AM »

Hiya Madra! Welcome to the madness!!!

Question for you.... is it possible to paint Dollar Store plastic doll furniture with acrylic paints? I was thinking if maybe I sanded the pieces, painted and sealed...would that work or would it just peel?

If it's not intended for actual playing I think that would fine. Some Dollar Stores have wooden furniture so you may want to root around and see if you can pick that up instead as it would take the paint better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunny1kenobi

Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2013 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

« Reply #1365 on: July 01, 2012 12:53:33 PM »

It might take a little looking, but I think there are some paints intended for plastic.  Krylon makes a spray paint version called Fusion, the other option is vinyl dye, which is actually absorbed by the plastic (usually used for autobody repair - try a repair shop or auto parts supply store).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Icekibby

Leopardprint Goddess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1366 on: July 01, 2012 04:58:31 PM »

Sometimes sanding and then gesso can help, if it won't be roughly handled. Then paint on top of the gesso. I also varnish the be-jebus out of anything like that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My wist: http://www.wists.com/IceKat

Will swap for 1:12 exotic & magical dollhouse furniture and accessories, amigurumi, magical poppets.
microjivvy
« Reply #1367 on: July 01, 2012 05:11:13 PM »

There's a category of furniture called "BPF" (i.e., "Brown Plastic Furniture") that's extremely cheap, but I don't know if it's what you're talking about.  Anyway, yes, it can be painted.

Sanding (with really fine sandpaper) and a base coat make the difference in success (or at least for me).  My favorite base coat is Polly Scale Floquil Undercoat Light Gray -- other people have a lot of success with spray base coats.

Personally, I don't think it's worth the effort for anything that's going to be played with, but yes for display pieces.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MicroJivvy.com:  Whatever I happen to be working on.
My Pinterest
anefariousimp
Addicted to cute and tiny things

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1368 on: July 01, 2012 05:59:24 PM »

I really want to start another Wee House but I know that I really don't have any time or space to make a new one, so I did this with scrap pieces of wood to help feed the addiction!

« Last Edit: July 01, 2012 06:00:09 PM by anefariousimp » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be strange. Be weird.  Be geeky. Embrace cuteness =)
www.anefariousimp.e tsy.com
http://www.wists.com/anefariousimp
http://pinterest.com/anefariousimp/

***I don't do personal swaps - I was flaked on and it was not a great experience, however I am open to commissions***
Madra
« Reply #1369 on: July 01, 2012 06:16:44 PM »

Thanks for the advice... I came across a bag of plastic furniture at the Dollar Store a few days ago and bought it because there were two armchairs that mostly fit the bill for thrones for the castle throne room. Except they look like the shiny pink cheap plastic chairs that they are. So I was hoping with some paint and maybe some glued on embellishments I could turn them into thrones fit for peggy King and Queen. But yeah, they WILL get played with so maybe I better rethink it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 194 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Foolproof Way to Perfect Winged Liner!
Fast Fall Beauty Fixes
Crazy Beauty Trends: Celebrity Grills, Mushroom Wigs, and Baby Bangs
1920s Flapper Makeup Halloween How-To
Best Eye Makeup Removers
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...