A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 300,914
Currently Running With Scissors:
430 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 198
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wee House Craftalong-Ongoing 2011-Forever!  (Read 299314 times)
Tags for this thread: dollhouse  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

spookygrrrly

glitter glue addict

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1350 on: June 29, 2012 11:18:16 AM »

I keep the tabs but if things aren't fitting quite right I shave them down. I do usually remove most of the roofing tabs. I keep enough on them to keep it in place while gluing and cut off the rest.

Good luck on your house! Post some progress pics if you can... we'd all love to see them!

Thanks for the tip knickertwist. I also thought that if any of the tabs really bothered me I could always trim them down once the glue had set up...but I surely wouldn't want to do that for a whole house.

I'm only just starting on the floors today...but I'll post some pictures later this evening. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spookygrrrly

glitter glue addict

« Reply #1351 on: June 29, 2012 11:21:01 PM »

I make some progress on my house today!

I started on the flooring for the bottom floor:

Also I started wallpapering:

So far everything is coming along nicely. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knickertwist
Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Gimme some sugar baby.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1352 on: June 30, 2012 05:48:36 AM »

Love the checkered floor! Well done Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1353 on: June 30, 2012 06:40:18 AM »

I have a completely random, non-decorating question about the house kit pictured on the first page of the post, so I'm hoping that someone who has assembled it can help me.

I teach 6th grade science and one of the projects we did this year was for the students to design a method to try to earthquake-proof house. Well, 1 week, 1000 glue sticks and  what felt like a half ton of cardboard later, we had a bunch of houses, but only one or two groups actually tried any earthquake-proofing. We tested the structures on a shake table, and I put some cardstock furniture pieces inside (they got points depending on how much of the furniture stayed up).

This year, I really want them to focus on the earthquake-proof methods, so I'd like to have a ready-made house that we can use to test out their methods. I can see the outer dimensions on the package label, but I'm wondering about the height of each floor. I'm really looking for a house with 2 floors and an attic, but I'm guessing that if the kits are made by the same company then the height between each floor will be the same.

So, if anyone can tell me what the floor to ceiling height is, I'd appreciate it! If it's around the same size, I may be spending a little bit of my summer working on a house! Thanks for any help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
xmissmayhemx
« Reply #1354 on: June 30, 2012 11:59:31 AM »

Hi all...I'm glad to see that this thread still has people poking around. Smiley

I had planned to start on a house last summer, but I never got around to starting and the next thing I knew it was fall and school was starting up again. I received the fantasy villa: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HWW4B4?tag=fasdolsho-20&camp=213381&creative=390973&linkCode=as4&creativeASIN=B000HWW4B4&adid=1NAJ68ZY8HQKXYAVY45H&&ref-refURL=http%3A%2F%2Fths.fennotrans.fi%2Fvilla%2Findex.html for my birthday last year because I have always wanted to make a haunted dollhouse. This will be my first house of this scale so I can use all the support I can get!

That's the first one I did...It was by far easier to get together despite the smaller size than the other one I got....I bought both in the creatology line. I kept all the tabs, then just covered the roof with moss so it looks like a little haunted fairy house  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr photos!
Stars and Sparrows
spookygrrrly

glitter glue addict

« Reply #1355 on: June 30, 2012 12:09:48 PM »

I think it is funny how everyone keeps talking about how small these houses are. It seems a pretty big size to me! Smiley I've never built a dollhouse before so I don't really have anything to compare it to. How large are "normal" dollhouses in comparison?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knickertwist
Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Gimme some sugar baby.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1356 on: June 30, 2012 01:56:56 PM »

So, if anyone can tell me what the floor to ceiling height is, I'd appreciate it! If it's around the same size, I may be spending a little bit of my summer working on a house! Thanks for any help!

The floor to ceiling height for each floor is around 5 1/8" for the kit shown on the op. I've done a few houses and I can tell you that not all of the ceiling heights are the same for the kits in the Creatology line. This is definitely the easiest, least fiddly, kit of all of the Creatolgy kits I've assembled. Hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

microjivvy
« Reply #1357 on: June 30, 2012 04:00:52 PM »

I think it is funny how everyone keeps talking about how small these houses are. It seems a pretty big size to me! Smiley I've never built a dollhouse before so I don't really have anything to compare it to. How large are "normal" dollhouses in comparison?

Big to me, too. Wink

Normal dollhouse scale is 1:12 or 1" = 1'.   Creatology houses are usually (sort of) 1:24 or 1" = 2', but they are not sticklers for scale.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MicroJivvy.com:  Whatever I happen to be working on.
My Pinterest
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1358 on: June 30, 2012 05:15:57 PM »

The floor to ceiling height for each floor is around 5 1/8" for the kit shown on the op. I've done a few houses and I can tell you that not all of the ceiling heights are the same for the kits in the Creatology line. This is definitely the easiest, least fiddly, kit of all of the Creatolgy kits I've assembled. Hope that helps!

Thanks a bunch! I think that fits into the size range I need. I'll have to scout out what's available at the local craft stores and wait for a 50% off coupon Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
Madra
« Reply #1359 on: July 01, 2012 08:02:50 AM »

Good morning Smiley  This is my first post...I joined the site after stumbling across this thread after a google search of Creatology Puzzle Houses. After a week of reading through 136 pages of posts I have decided you guys are the most awesome and creative group of people I've ever encountered in one place and I can't wait to see more of your work! Thanks to you all I have an overflowing file of links, a new Pinterest board devoted to minis and a head full of new ideas and potential projects. Dammit! I've got two of the puzzle houses on standby, the one with the verandah and the wee victorian. The fantasy one kinda intimidates me so that's a pass. I think. Maybe. 

Anyway, I bought the verandah house with the intent of making it into a Christmas themed Santa's workshop. I'm torn with which way I want to go with it though after a foraging trip to Michael's the other day and seeing some of the scrapbooking papers. There was a really lush red velvet paper that I can totally see covering the walls. But there was also a lovely sparkly selection of blues and silvers that made me think snowflakes and icicles.

The Victorian is earmarked for a spookier sort of theme. Not necessarily Halloween, but I envision it darker, maybe steampunky mixed with a Borrower's type occupant. Perhaps an abandoned dollhouse in the attic discovered by some intrepid Borrower explorer who takes up residence. At any rate I'm excited to get started!

But I'm being very firm with myself, no opening those new houses until I finish my castle. I picked up the castle shell from Michael's back in April and have been having a blast making a really bizarre jumble of themes, but keeping in mind it WILL be played with by small children. I posted pics to my Pinterest of my progress if anyone's interested in that. Don't know how to post pics here yet. http://pinterest.com/marion1mb/castle-geekery/

I hope this thread continues for a while... I know I'm a year late, but you have all inspired me to no end Smiley  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 198 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Sidesaddle Shell Stitch Part 5/6
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 10/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 16/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 15/28
How to Crochet a Sidesaddle Shell Stitch Part 6/6
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...