A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,611
Currently Running With Scissors:
662 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 195
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wee House Craftalong-Ongoing 2011-Forever!  (Read 262202 times)
Tags for this thread: dollhouse  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dreadlocklove
« Reply #1150 on: January 25, 2012 12:26:53 PM »

The holes are all cut but need to be fixed (my partner cut a bit crooked) before sanding.

Otherwise, I just finished painting the sand paper that will be used for the shingles!

Total cost so far: $1.41
THIS ROCKS   Logged

How pleased can one sun setting make you, if you humble yourself to it?  -Ani DiFranco

Dreadlocklove on Etsy:
http://www.dreadlocklove.etsy.com

50 CRAFTS IN 2014
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1151 on: January 26, 2012 02:48:34 PM »

I went home for Christmas, so I was able to get some pics of the doll house my Dad built me. It needs a good deal of fixing up as it's been in the basement for 30 years, but here it is.

In addition to the teeeny one I posted before, he made a smaller one as a trinket box for my Mom. The roof is the lid.

And he built my Mom a "room box" which she has set up as a family Thanksgiving, her favorite holiday.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
teag
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #1152 on: January 26, 2012 02:54:35 PM »

what a wonderful doll house I love that it has legs and that room box great details, it's lovely and a trinket box too, your Father is a talented man, I am envious
THIS ROCKS   Logged

batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

« Reply #1153 on: January 26, 2012 03:02:08 PM »

Thanks, Teag! He's a pretty awesome Dad.Smiley  He had a woodshop when I was kid. He made most of the furniture in the house & room box as well. He's always been an inspiration! He definitely taught us about making something out of nothing, he was always making animals out of scrap telephone wire, playhouses out of pegboard and o-rings, etc etc. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
dreadlocklove
« Reply #1154 on: January 26, 2012 06:12:23 PM »

Are you going to steam the wallpaper off or just paint over it?   Wink

The cost of my house has skyrocketed.  I went to Dollarama to buy more adhesive shelf/drawer liner for the flooring (it's a wood pattern) and also picked up some scrapbooking pages for the wallpaper.  They didn't carry any solid pages so we took a ride to Michaels.

WELL!

Some of the single sheets there were on sale, as where a couple of the books.  So over $40 later...   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

How pleased can one sun setting make you, if you humble yourself to it?  -Ani DiFranco

Dreadlocklove on Etsy:

50 CRAFTS IN 2014
dreadlocklove
« Reply #1155 on: January 26, 2012 07:13:55 PM »

The flooring is "installed!"  It's time to choose from the plethora of wallpaper options now!

Investment so far:  $3.67
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012 07:17:02 PM by dreadlocklove » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dreadlocklove on Etsy:

50 CRAFTS IN 2014
Spiffyhink
« Reply #1156 on: January 27, 2012 07:28:10 AM »

I've been reading this with some interest for a while now and have decided to join. I checked my local craft stores, but none of them really have any Doll house kits for less than $100!!!! No matter, I bought two pieces of foamcore, sketched up a design, did all the math involved to figure out what the dimensions and angles would be (for the slopped roof), and started putting it together. It turned out rather nice for something that took me a couple of hours to make. I've already taken it back apart and am covering it with wallpaper and door/window frames (that takes a looooong time), but here are some pics of it dry assembled:

These are without any windows or doors, of course. Here is a pic I took after doing the front windows on the second floor:

I would have done more of those windows on the side, but they're kind of a pain and take forever! The rest of the windows I just made into simple rectangles. These look nice though.

I'm looking forward to see everyone else's progress. There are some really lovely creations here! Batgirl, you are very lucky to have such a talented father--the things he made are all amazing! I can't wait to see more pics from everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1157 on: January 27, 2012 07:37:10 AM »

Wow, great stuff is happening in here!

Spiffyhink, will you cover your house with a layer of paper mache to make it strong or something? I remember seeing instructions for making bookshelves out of cardboard boxes with layers of mache and though it would be a neat idea for a doll house. Your windows are fantastic, they just look amazing.

I'm still swamped with work here so not a lot of crafting for me but I'm watching!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012 07:37:56 AM by craftylittlemonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #1158 on: January 27, 2012 07:44:02 AM »

Batgirl--what a wonderful house!  I think there is a trend for people to fix up houses that were part of childhood...yeah, it is a lot of work, but it can be done over time and with love!  The house and the furniture are just wonderful...such warm fuzzy details!

spiffy--whoa--what a project!  The windows look great!  I also love that you were able to decide on the sixes of the room yourself!  foam core...love it

I don't think I have spent anything beyond the cost of the doll house (about $6)...I used everything I already had...yeah--I need to finish...maybe next weekend Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Spiffyhink
« Reply #1159 on: January 27, 2012 07:45:07 AM »

Wow, great stuff is happening in here!

Spiffyhink, will you cover your house with a layer of paper mache to make it strong or something? I remember seeing instructions for making bookshelves out of cardboard boxes with layers of mache and though it would be a neat idea for a doll house. Your windows are fantastic, they just look amazing.

I'm still swamped with work here so not a lot of crafting for me but I'm watching!

Thanks  Smiley  I hadn't really thought of covering it mache, since I'm going to add so many other things I think it'll make up for the lightness of the foamcore. For the outside, I've decided to glue down 1/2 inch strips of cardboard, overlapping, for the siding, and then reinforce the corners with more cardboard, so I think it should be fairly sturdy once I'm done. The foamcore itself is pretty thick, so I don't think I have to make it too much sturdier.

I'll probably go to the paper mache once I've run out of foamcore though. I've got some left over that I'll use for the furniture, and once that's through I'll be breaking out the scrap newspaper! Foamcore + Paper Mache = Awesome
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 195 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Face Paint a Fairy
How to Draw Mickey Mouse
How to Draw Spongebob Squarepants
How to Draw Goofy
How to Draw Patrick Star
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...