A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,110
Currently Running With Scissors:
444 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 202
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wee House Craftalong-Ongoing 2011-Forever!  (Read 324527 times)
Tags for this thread: dollhouse , miniature  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Green Gypsy
« Reply #100 on: September 06, 2011 08:27:43 AM »

This is so exciting! I found a house making kit at Goodwill for $5! The crazy thing is that the kit is from a store a couple of blocks from my house (The little doll company in Toronto, if anyone knows about it) and it retails for $60! What a find! As soon as I saw the kit I thought of the houses you made Knickertwist. I'm so joining this craft a long!

What type of paint do you use and do you prim the wood before painting?

The kit I bought was missing the instructions, so I went on the manufactures website where I was able to download them. The house I have is called buttercup doll house.
http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/

That is so awesome you found it for $5.00! I'm using the Greenleaf buttercup kit as well, I found it on amazon for $27 that includes shipping.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vixen72
« Reply #101 on: September 06, 2011 08:51:13 AM »

I just saw that link...  Shocked Going to the library to print....I'm thinking of a Fairy house or my DREAM Crafting Boutique...Or something log cabinish or a fall theme, oh winter would be nice as well...Decisions decisons decisions...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lvl0rg4n
lvl0rg4n says Morgan

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #102 on: September 06, 2011 10:33:02 AM »

Morgan -- when I read the first post, I thought you meant that you were covering the upstairds floor of your *actual* home with painted scrabble tiles.  I thought -- whoa, that's SERIOUS crafting!

The effect looks great on the wee house, too!

How did you do the "hardwood" floor?

Haha. I am crazy, but not THAT crazy. I could barely stand doing an entire mini floor.
I bought some of the Loew-Cornell Woodsies Sticks which are like the popsicle sticks but without the rounded edges. They have them at Joann's, Michael's, and Wal-mart. If I could go back and do them again, I wouldn't be lazy and I'd cut them into pieces and stagger them. I painted them with watered down brown acrylic and then really watered down black along the edges of each stick.
Check out this post: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=360823.0 for a bit of a tutorial using stain. again, I just used acrylic.

lvl0rg4n, I love the diamond floor! I may have to do something similar for one of my rooms. 

badpuppy, those bricks in that tutorial look amazing, but I don't think I would have the patience for it.  I was thinking about using polymer clay and seeing if I could find one of those brick stamps I have seen cake decorators use for my chimney.

I love it too! It's just scrapbook paper with a thick layer of Krylon Triple Thick on it. It's super shiny in person and looks like glass or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RoaneFaery
« Reply #103 on: September 06, 2011 11:04:12 AM »

So I went to the Michael's near the airport yesterday to pick a house up. (Thanks for the tip about which Michael's in Portland had them!)  I of course never start with easy things do I picked up the more ornate three story Victorian dollhouse (although not the fantasy one as I am not that insane.)  I got it all punched yesterday and dry fit together. I then took it back apart and have started staining and painting pieces.  

I do want to go steampunk workshop with mine so I thought the Victorian house would make more sense.

My one question is what scale are these houses are?  1/2" scale? or smaller than that?
And what scale is the furniture?  I would have picked that set up but they didn't have any.

And I will totally use that brick tutorial for my chimney.

[Edited to add]
I looked around on line at some dollhouse sites and they were saying these are close to 1/2" or 1:24 scale.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011 11:24:53 AM by RoaneFaery » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
http://www.wists.com/RoaneFaery
Pintrest:
http://pinterest.com/roanefaery/
My Swaps:
Last completed swap: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
lvl0rg4n
lvl0rg4n says Morgan

« Reply #104 on: September 06, 2011 11:23:37 AM »

So I went to the Michael's near the airport yesterday to pick a house up. (Thanks for the tip about which Michael's in Portland had them!)  I of course never start with easy things do I picked up the more ornate three story Victorian dollhouse (although not the fantasy one as I am not that insane.)  I got it all punched yesterday and dry fit together. I then took it back apart and have started staining and painting pieces.   

I do want to go steampunk workshop with mine so I thought the Victorian house would make more sense.

My one question is what scale are these houses are?  1/2" scale? or smaller than that?
And what scale is the furniture?  I would have picked that set up but they didn't have any.

And I will totally use that brick tutorial for my chimney.

You're in Portland?! Have you participated in the Meet Up thread on the City Guides board?!

I think the victorian will be a lot of fun for a steampunk theme. The Victorian house is quite a bit smaller than 1/2 scale. The punch out furniture wouldn't fit well anyways. I ran out into the garage and took a picture of my partially put together Victorian house and partially put together cottage. You can see that the floors are nearly the same height, but the cottage is sooo much wider. Polymer clay and Woodsies are going to be your friend for making furniture and stuff.

Make sure you do ALL of your decorating before you put the house together for good. The Victorian was the first one I did and I glued it all together before doing any painting or wall papering and I pretty much gave up on it in its current state. It was super frustrating!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
irid3sc3nt
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I <3 Halloween

« Reply #105 on: September 06, 2011 02:24:38 PM »

I'm still not sure on a theme, either creepy cryptozoology or Alice in Wonderland American Mcgee style.....
American McGee Alice in Wonderland would be pretty fun.  It's so creepy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop
Pinterest
Please send packages with postage stamps when you can!
I am interested in Halloween Rinchies!
cyndy225
« Reply #106 on: September 06, 2011 07:39:57 PM »

I would just like to let you know that you all are a bad influence! I swear I was all set to start on Christmas gifts... Oh well, I went ahead and picked up the Victorian style Creatology. I've got the house dry fitted and all of the rooms marked, but I need advice on a theme. To save time, stop reading now, to offer your ever appreciated advice, keep going.  Cheesy

I'm torn between:
Serial killer's house: pictures of "idols" on the walls, "meat" cooking in the kitchen, old victims and extra torture tools in the attic, blood cleaning in the bathroom, new victim in the bedroom, the kids watching Barney in the living room...I know I could do a good job, but it would be extremely disturbing, don't think I could keep it up except for Halloween.
Classic haunted house: think Rose Red and The Haunted, possibly parts of Pan's Labyrinth
Tim Burton homage: whimsical but realistic, the cartoon parts would be portrayed as toys (Zero stuffy!) or pictures. Fun theme but, oddly, I think I might feel limited and cliche.
Witch's house: not scary, but makes for a good year-round theme even with obvious Halloween touches. More personal to me, but probably less interesting for the boyfriend. Also a chance to throw in random fantasy touches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

irid3sc3nt
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I <3 Halloween

« Reply #107 on: September 06, 2011 07:49:36 PM »

I would just like to let you know that you all are a bad influence! I swear I was all set to start on Christmas gifts... Oh well, I went ahead and picked up the Victorian style Creatology. I've got the house dry fitted and all of the rooms marked, but I need advice on a theme. To save time, stop reading now, to offer your ever appreciated advice, keep going.  Cheesy

I'm torn between:
Serial killer's house: pictures of "idols" on the walls, "meat" cooking in the kitchen, old victims and extra torture tools in the attic, blood cleaning in the bathroom, new victim in the bedroom, the kids watching Barney in the living room...I know I could do a good job, but it would be extremely disturbing, don't think I could keep it up except for Halloween.
Classic haunted house: think Rose Red and The Haunted, possibly parts of Pan's Labyrinth
Tim Burton homage: whimsical but realistic, the cartoon parts would be portrayed as toys (Zero stuffy!) or pictures. Fun theme but, oddly, I think I might feel limited and cliche.
Witch's house: not scary, but makes for a good year-round theme even with obvious Halloween touches. More personal to me, but probably less interesting for the boyfriend. Also a chance to throw in random fantasy touches.

I would go with the witch's house.  If it would mean more to you and you are crafting for yourself (and taking all that time crafting) then I think you should do it.  If the bf wants an interesting house, he can always craft his own Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop
Pinterest
Please send packages with postage stamps when you can!
I am interested in Halloween Rinchies!
Ashgrim
« Reply #108 on: September 06, 2011 08:54:52 PM »

I didn't get the chance to work on my house today, but I wanted to share the house that first inspired me to want to do a haunted doll house. It's much fancier than what I'm doing but I want to do a similar theme:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thebloggess/sets/72157627520056330/with/6081094127/

Happy crafting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm definitely open to personal swaps--pm me!

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/ashgrim/

My blog: http://www.ashleymgrimes.com

Participating in the Wee House CAL
anefariousimp
Addicted to cute and tiny things

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: September 06, 2011 09:33:45 PM »

I've glued and painted everything in my house together- I'm just trying to decide on my theme.  I'm torn between Alice in Wonderland or French style bakery!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be strange. Be weird.  Be geeky. Embrace cuteness =)
www.anefariousimp.etsy.com
http://www.wists.com/anefariousimp
http://pinterest.com/anefariousimp/

***I don't do personal swaps - I was flaked on and it was not a great experience, however I am open to commissions***
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 202 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get a Quiff
Use Dry Shampoo to Make Your Blowout Last for Days
Emo Hair: Haircuts for Boys
Emo Hair: Haircuts for Girls
How to Remove Hair Extensions
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Marinara Sauce
April 17, 2015 Featured Projects
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Mini-Cabinet

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...