A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 309,603
Currently Running With Scissors:
548 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 202
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wee House Craftalong-Ongoing 2011-Forever!  (Read 332089 times)
Tags for this thread: dollhouse , miniature  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ashgrim
« Reply #270 on: September 20, 2011 08:42:41 AM »

Thanks, guys! Now that I have it reassembled, I don't want to take it apart again even though I have to. Only one and a half rooms to go, though! Woo hoo!

I got some wood glue that claims that it is stainable and sandable, but I don't know if I want to use it. I know that I'll need to glue the steps on my stairs but I'm afraid it will be really ugly if I use the wood glue. Since it's just for looks, not for use, I may go with a clear-drying glue instead.

I just stumbled across this site,  http://www.fuzzimo.com/, where they have some great free images that could easily be shrunk down and used for a miniature house. I especially like the vintage air mail, post cards and frames. It's meant for use in websites, I think, but I've seen similar items for sale on Etsy in miniature.

Does anyone know where to find a good mini book-binding tutorial?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm definitely open to personal swaps--pm me!

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/ashgrim/

My blog: http://www.ashleymgrimes.com

Participating in the Wee House CAL
anefariousimp
Addicted to cute and tiny things

View Profile WWW
« Reply #271 on: September 20, 2011 09:02:37 AM »

Does anyone know where to find a good mini book-binding tutorial?

http://1inchminisbykris.blogspot.com/search/label/how%20to%20make%20miniature%20books

She has really amazing tutorials for dollhouse miniatures and offers new ones once a month!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011 09:03:12 AM by anefariousimp » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be strange. Be weird.  Be geeky. Embrace cuteness =)
www.anefariousimp.etsy.com
http://www.wists.com/anefariousimp
http://pinterest.com/anefariousimp/

***I don't do personal swaps - I was flaked on and it was not a great experience, however I am open to commissions***
cackle
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Pottery, Ceramics, Polymer Clay Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Whenever I close my eyes the lights go on.. Lummis

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: September 20, 2011 09:10:55 AM »

I'll ask my husband, the guitar builder....he's all about the wood glue.
Though I haven't tried Diamond glaze on this dollhouse, I use it for a ton of stuff. It's crystal clear dries pretty darn fast and washes off with soap and water. You can even mix color into it.

Everything looks so fab. You guys are amazing!

What kind of glue is everyone using?  Also, are you guys keeping your houses or gifting them?...With all of the problems I'm hearing about getting these together, maybe my first one should be for me.  A practice house.

I use Eileen's tacky glue. I love that stuff. But if I need something to hold quickly I yank out the crazy glue. The gal at the craft shop once told me that she recommended carpenter/wood glue. Does anyone know of a glue that dries matte? I'm like a demented 4 year old with glue and generally get it everywhere. I love to find a glue that was more forgiving of my sloppiness.

If you can get through putting the house together once you'll be fine and dandy. I put my last house together at least 7 times. Once you get an idea of where everything is supposed to be you'll be a-ok.

I think my next house will be for me... maybe. I don't know. Eventually I'd like to build a house from scratch for myself and have it as a long term (like 10 year) project. We'll see what happens. Usually my projects end up in a  completely different spot than I originally thought Smiley
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011 10:48:00 AM by cackle » THIS ROCKS   Logged

lvl0rg4n
lvl0rg4n says Morgan

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #273 on: September 20, 2011 10:41:44 AM »

I use tacky glue and painters tape to hold everything together. For my smaller, more fiddley items, I've been using hot glue and then a lighter to clean up all the little glue whispies.

As far as gifting these houses - man. That'd be so tough. I have considered making one for my niece in the future, but it'd definitely be after I made a few for myself, haha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RoaneFaery
« Reply #274 on: September 20, 2011 10:55:17 AM »

http://1inchminisbykris.blogspot.com/search/label/how%20to%20make%20miniature%20books

She has really amazing tutorials for dollhouse miniatures and offers new ones once a month!

That site just ate a hour or so of my day.  So many great tutorials.  I really liked the tutorial on making furniture with mat board if you are going to paint it. Just amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
http://www.wists.com/RoaneFaery
Pintrest:
http://pinterest.com/roanefaery/
My Swaps:
Last completed swap: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make All Things, especially from stash

Your life is what you make of it

« Reply #275 on: September 20, 2011 11:13:16 AM »

all of the tips and links have been amazing....I love the picture frames...and the books...and it sure beats starting from scratch...

oh--hot glue...I have lots of that...I think there might be more glue than wood after I am done! Cheesy

Diamond glaze...I will have to look that up...it sounds like a great supply to have on hand...is it shiny?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011 11:14:19 AM by alwaysinmyroom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

cackle
Swap Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 20, 2011 11:55:36 AM »

all of the tips and links have been amazing....I love the picture frames...and the books...and it sure beats starting from scratch...

oh--hot glue...I have lots of that...I think there might be more glue than wood after I am done! Cheesy

Diamond glaze...I will have to look that up...it sounds like a great supply to have on hand...is it shiny?

It does dry shiny. I guess that's one of the reasons it's called Diamond glaze, the second is because it's hard as a rock. It's great for gluing lots of stuff, but wonderful if your gluing clear things together, like glass or plastic as it pretty much disappears. It's also used to "float" on top of things set in a bezel to create a hard, clear protective finish. I have found it online at Amazon and Judikins.com. I think Judikins is the one that manufactures it.

Boy did I open a complicated can-o-worms when I started asking my husband about wood glue. His eyes got all sparkly and happy and he launched into what sounded like a chemistry lecture from my college days. Didn't know there was so many varieties based on use and temperature and humidity...aak. My brain exploded after about twenty minutes. When I weakly asked about Elmer's, he snorted. I'm not sure how to interpret that. When he finally noticed I was banging my head on the table, he copped an attitude, got very lofty and suggested that we all go look at a catalog he loves online called Veritas/Lee Valley hardware, which has many wood glues for many purposes. Sorry ladies, I hung in there as long as I could. I'm sticking to Diamond glaze.....

THIS ROCKS   Logged

batgirl
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

« Reply #277 on: September 20, 2011 11:59:25 AM »

I love a man who knows his adhesives. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
cackle
Swap Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 20, 2011 12:11:46 PM »

I love a man who knows his adhesives. Cheesy

Hee,hee. Right now he's drilling a four inch wide hole through our fireplace to the outside of the chimney......something about venting. I'm not going there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissingWillow
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

'Best of 2014' Winner

« Reply #279 on: September 20, 2011 12:33:10 PM »

LOL!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 202 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Smart Collections in Lightroom 2
Using the Filter Bar in Lightroom 2
All About Collections in Lightroom 2
Installing a Web Widget in Dreamweaver CS4
Creating a Flash Gallery Using Bridge CS4
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...
Tute Tuesday: Latch Hooked Rag Rug

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...