A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 307,973
Currently Running With Scissors:
466 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 199
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wee House Craftalong-Ongoing 2011-Forever!  (Read 452929 times)
Tags for this thread: dollhouse , miniature  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Madra
« Reply #1340 on: August 15, 2012 04:43:54 PM »

I love the closeup of the bark finish, it really truly looks awesome! I don't think you're spamming, I think this project was started sometime last year so the bulk of the participants have completed their projects, and we're the second wave  Grin  Also digging the Canadian coinage Smiley 

Open question about using twigs and other plant material in these mini crafts. Do you need to treat them first to make sure you're not bringing in any mini wildlife? And how do you seal something like the mossy roof that Knickertwist uses...would the spray sealers work to keep it from crumbling over time?

I'll get busy with my house again soon. I'm just being stumped by window treatments. I kinda wanted to install them before I reassemble and permanently glue the house together. I have some pretty lace trim, but not 100% happy with it. I'm gonna check out the local thrift store on Saturday and see if I can find something I like better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1341 on: August 16, 2012 04:35:28 PM »

Finally I can offer some advice from personal experience, even though I don't have a wee house on the go. One of the ways to deal with soft, loose material like bark, moss, grass, etc. is to saturate it with diluted flexible white glue, drain off the excess, and spread it out to dry where you want it to stay - the roof, yard, or whatever. Usually it will glue together in a loose mass but not be clumpy. It's important to use flexible glue, such as Weld-Bond, bookbinding glue, etc. because a white (PVA) glue that dries hard will make it fragile and allow bits to break off. I find that about a 50% dilution is best - any more glue and it'll be shiny, but any much less and it may not stick. It won't be adhesive enough to stick onto a vertical surface, though, so if you're applying something like bark onto walls, you'll have to glue it on first, let it dry there, and then soak with dilute glue. You can also tint the glue mixture with acrylic or watercolour to darken or colour your material as it dries.

Love the way your crackle finish came out, Snugglebugmom. And those chairs from pinecone bits are brilliant.

Is it just my imagination, or is the Canadian quota in this craftalong particularly high?

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make All Things, especially from stash

Need Pink Floyd stamps for hubby! Will Swap!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1342 on: August 17, 2012 06:59:58 AM »

Wulf--thanks for sharing that advice!  I love working with natural materials but  worried about the longevity and fragileness !  I definitely want a straw roof on my wee house but not in my real house! Cheesy

I love your pictures snugglebugmom!  I have used the glue/paint technique to get that crackly paint look...it works really well!  Your bark finish is lovely...

and once again, I love those tiny little chairs!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mod35tBabe
« Reply #1343 on: August 18, 2012 01:20:20 AM »

Thanks for sharing SnuggleBugMom - I have the same house and it's great to see yours in that stage, mine is still getting built.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you say 'plz' because it's shorter than 'please',I'll say 'no' because it's shorter than 'yes'.
50 SWAPS COMPLETE
1 IN PROCESS

~*~*Come and visit our new collaborative craft blog Hand Made-n's!!*~*~
Snugglebugmom

member of the Wee House Posse

View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: August 18, 2012 02:48:23 PM »

I did a bunch more painting and then realized that the trim is too green.  Roll Eyes In the process of repainting now, I'm wiping it with a tin coat of white paint and then flecking it with gold paint, to take the harshness out of the green. Not sure if I like it yet. It looks a little like fairy camo gear (or what I picture that would look like, more to the point).
Anybody else want to share pictures of progress or end results?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Madra
« Reply #1345 on: August 18, 2012 08:49:17 PM »

It looks a little like fairy camo gear (or what I picture that would look like, more to the point).
Anybody else want to share pictures of progress or end results?

Ok, now THERE'S an image....an army of wee fairies in camo  Cheesy   I don't have pics yet, but I do have curtains up so progress is being made.  Thanks to Wulf for advice on natural materials...also, you can never have too many crafty canucks on board  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
teag
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #1346 on: August 19, 2012 10:39:19 AM »

After a heartbreaking catastrophe I have finally finished my millifae  home

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knickertwist
Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Gimme some sugar baby.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1347 on: August 19, 2012 03:24:28 PM »

Magnificent!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

« Reply #1348 on: August 19, 2012 03:33:47 PM »

teag, I LOVE it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy
<a href="http://StudioLTD@etsy.com.>StudioLTD"</a>| Couponcode 'halfoff'HipsterHive Only12/31/15
<a href=https://www.etsy.com/shop/HipsterHive?ref=shop_sugg>HipsterHive</a>|
http://www.pinterest.com/studi
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make All Things, especially from stash

Need Pink Floyd stamps for hubby! Will Swap!!

« Reply #1349 on: August 20, 2012 01:41:16 PM »

Teag--you must share more details...it is incredibly detailed!  The little pumpkin tea set is just adorable...love how it turned out...and you are finished! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 199 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Etched Glasses
Horror Movie Crafts
August 24, 2016 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...