A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,201
Currently Running With Scissors:
728 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 196
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wee House Craftalong-Ongoing 2011-Forever!  (Read 271417 times)
Tags for this thread: dollhouse  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1320 on: May 22, 2012 06:06:46 AM »

Haha now I just need to find junk to pack in there! I wish we had better flea markets and that kind of stuff where I live Sad and your grandma rocks! Seriously!

Where do you live? I always have an over-abundance of things floating around in this place. It multiplies when I'm not looking :/. What I need to find is more TIME! LOL.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
xmissmayhemx
« Reply #1321 on: May 22, 2012 11:11:13 AM »

Haha now I just need to find junk to pack in there! I wish we had better flea markets and that kind of stuff where I live Sad and your grandma rocks! Seriously!

Where do you live? I always have an over-abundance of things floating around in this place. It multiplies when I'm not looking :/. What I need to find is more TIME! LOL.

I live in Reno. We have an overabundance of crappy picked over thrift stores and high priced antique stores. We have one flea market, but everyone is selling crappy shoes from china and no good JUNK. I could go to Sacramento, but again, like you, I need TIME. lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr photos!
Stars and Sparrows
LynnmarieKG
« Reply #1322 on: June 05, 2012 07:39:34 AM »

I have always loved Doll Houses. My grandfather made my first one when I was about 5 yrs old. It was built big (my neighbors dog house was smaller..lol) and meant to be played with, which it was.  Myself, my 3 sisters, & 3 brothers all had many hours of fun with the dollhouse my grandfather built. Years later when we moved my grandfather gave the house to the neighbor girls. I'll be 49 this week & I recently spoke to an old neighbor who let me know that that dollhouse is still being played with at a local school. My grandfather would be pleased to know that something he built many years ago is still giving others the joy of creative playing.
This Craft thread has inspired me to dig out some of the old dollhouses I have made over the years & give them new life, who knows, maybe one will give some others years of enjoyment...can't wait to get started! Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JuliG47
« Reply #1323 on: June 06, 2012 10:40:22 PM »

I love this project!  I was looking through the posts, but I didn't see any that mentioned using paperclay as a covering to make brick, stone or plaster.  It is a cool looking technique and I love to see some photos of things made with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beautifuladditions.etsy.com
microjivvy
« Reply #1324 on: June 06, 2012 11:47:33 PM »

I love this project!  I was looking through the posts, but I didn't see any that mentioned using paperclay as a covering to make brick, stone or plaster.  It is a cool looking technique and I love to see some photos of things made with it.

One of the houses I'm working on right now has paperclay stonework, but I don't have pics.  However, Tracy Topps (minis on the edge) has an amazing gallery of her paperclay covered dollhouses: http://gallery.mac.com/toppdollar#gallery
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MicroJivvy.com:  Whatever I happen to be working on.
My Pinterest
Icekibby

Leopardprint Goddess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1325 on: June 07, 2012 02:45:15 PM »

Wow, lots of eyecandy there! The dolls are interesting too. I love making dolls, so I'm trying to pluck up the nerve to do some scale ones. I've looked at tutorials for it, and it's not so hard I don't think.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My wist: http://www.wists.com/IceKat

Will swap for 1:12 exotic & magical dollhouse furniture and accessories, amigurumi, magical poppets.
microjivvy
« Reply #1326 on: June 07, 2012 03:42:49 PM »

Wow, lots of eyecandy there! The dolls are interesting too. I love making dolls, so I'm trying to pluck up the nerve to do some scale ones. I've looked at tutorials for it, and it's not so hard I don't think.

Scale is not hard, it just requires CONSTANT VIGILANCE!*   Cheesy

The buyers who care about scale care a lot. Obsessively, compulsively so (I can say that because I'm one of them, lol).

Keep a measuring rule close by and measure constantly. "Scale creep" kills.   Shocked

And for some awesome eye candy, here's a link to the 1/12 scale gallery of my favorite doll artists Jodi and Richard Creager

*not so random HP reference
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
Icekibby

Leopardprint Goddess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1327 on: June 07, 2012 04:35:33 PM »

Oh wow, that was really impressive! Not sure I can quite live up to that yet, but...

I'm thinking of doing clay heads, hands, and maybe feet, then a soft, wired body for pose-ability. I'll have to play around with it. One thing I noticed that I loved about their dolls is that the clothing fits them properly. I noticed with some that the clothes look too big and ill-fitted and it really breaks the illusion for me even if the doll itself was good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My wist: http://www.wists.com/IceKat

Will swap for 1:12 exotic & magical dollhouse furniture and accessories, amigurumi, magical poppets.
teag
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1328 on: June 07, 2012 09:43:05 PM »

I did here:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=389492.msg4688854#msg4688854
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=389492.msg4691119#msg4691119
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=389492.msg4693610#msg4693610
THIS ROCKS   Logged

microjivvy
« Reply #1329 on: June 08, 2012 11:45:43 AM »

I'm working on a Queen Anne style home and I want to have the house be "inspired by" traditional Queen Anne decor. 

And I just found the most amazing site for reference pics (for multiple styles, not just Queen Anne): Old House Dreams.  I have about 20 browser windows opened right now with amazing pics and I can't close any of them because I NEED THEM ALL. LOL

One thing I noticed that I loved about their dolls is that the clothing fits them properly. I noticed with some that the clothes look too big and ill-fitted and it really breaks the illusion for me even if the doll itself was good.

I totally absolutely completely agree -- there are some really good sculptors who just can't make proper clothing and yes, it ruins the entire illusion. I know that with Jodi and Richard, Jodi does the sculpting and Richard does the armatures -- not sure who does the clothing, but it is so amazingly well done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 196 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Workshop For Peace
Audio Speakers Installed in Hollowed Tree Trunks
Upside Down Fan Built Using a Helicopter
The Freedom Tower Rises: Rebuilding 1 World Trade Center
The Bay Bridge LED Project
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...