A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,557
Currently Running With Scissors:
766 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kid's cloths?  (Read 741 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Bluedolphin
« on: August 28, 2011 10:11:28 PM »

Just a question to moms/people who embroider on kid's cloths- does it last long? Because I was thinking of sewing "I am a princess!" on a t-shirt, but I'm worried it would come off? Is it still ok to machine wash?  I've really no idea- I've never sewn anything on clothes before.
thanks
If anyone answers, what is stabilizer, and will I need it? Also, would a 4 y old pick at the stiches?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011 06:39:24 AM by Bluedolphin » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011 02:25:18 PM »

I've embroidered on onesies and on t-shirts before and have washed them. They hold up pretty well. I've used a water soluble stabilizer and then put a flannel interfacing on the back so the stitching doesn't rub the skin or get messed up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cow Whisperer
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011 10:35:23 AM »

First of all stabilizer is a woven underlayment that is meant to stabilize the fashion fabric from distortion while being embellished. You absolutely won't be sorry you used it as it makes for a much more professional appearance. It comes in many different weights and is either wash away,tear away or leave in. For what it sounds like you will be doing I suggest a lightweight leave in. If you are machine embroidering then just follow the directions for your machine.If you are doing it by hand then either transfer your design to the fabric and work the design in the stitches of your choice and there you are or if you're counted cross stitching then baste your waste canvas to your fabric and finish accordingly. It will wash and wear just fine, be sure you use the best floss available to you. My personal preferance is DMC but there are others just as good. Maybe she'll pick at it and maybe not-that's part of the charm of being four! It should last for the life of the shirt. Hope this helped and may Her Majesty enjoy it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lisalady161
Domestic Goddess & Closet Anarchist

...it's beautiful, and so are you...

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011 07:33:42 PM »

Everyone here is right! The only thing I'm adding is: DO IT! You won't regret it and your 'princess' will treasure it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

'First your pants, then your shoes' - Gary Larson, The Far Side
thepurplewitch
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012 03:55:58 PM »

I've embroidered on onesies and on t-shirts before and have washed them. They hold up pretty well. I've used a water soluble stabilizer and then put a flannel interfacing on the back so the stitching doesn't rub the skin or get messed up.

Kittykill, do you use the water soluble stabilizer then after it's done put the interfacing on?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Behind every great crafter is a kitteh, waiting to eat patterns, sprawl on fabric, and attack knitting.

www.wists.com/ourcrazycatlady
craftgraveyard.blog spot.com
canamharris
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012 06:03:44 PM »

I've embroidered things for both my kids. Neither have complained or picked the stitches. I usually don't use a interfacing just because I didn't have any on hand. My trick is I draw the design on the stabalizer and then put it on the front, stitch and take off. The tear away kind tends to pull at the stitches a bit when you try to take it off. The iron on kind that then tears away is the worse for this. I've used the kind that you just sit on and it works ok too. (though I generally use a couple stitches to tack it down)

Go for it! If you don't like it then just pick it out! But definitely go for it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012 07:32:25 PM »

I use both. I use the water soluble stabilizer for my pattern and then I use a flannel iron on stabilizer to hide my stitches so they won't scratch (not that they really will) the baby.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xperimentl
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012 08:15:48 AM »

I also stitch on clothing for myself and my daughter.  I tend to use a lightweight fusible interfacing on the back and on the top I use a water soluble stabilizer with my pattern on it, like kittykill.  You just stitch through the stabilizer and after you finish the piece you can just wash away the stabilizer and the regular interfacing stays on in the interior (if you want it).  Using the interfacing can help you to not stretch the fabric out too much in your hoop if you use one.  I think the flannel interfacing is a great tip that I'll have to try.

My daughter likes to touch the stitching on her outfits, but doesn't pick at it.  She knows how much time I took doing it just for her, so she respects that and tends takes better care of it than her other clothes.  The stitching has held up great through several washings as well.  Hope that helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You can't use up creativity.  The more you use, the more you have."  Maya Angelou

My Flickr
My Pinterest
GeekySweetheart
Tutorial Contributor

Personal Swap me!

Who you callin' scruffy lookin'?

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012 09:31:44 AM »

thanks guys, this has also answered a few questions I had about sewing knits, off to ebay now for some water soluble stabilizer! <3

x G
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Edit Text in Photoshop CS3
How to Edit the Grid in Flash CS3
How to Feather an Image in Photoshop CS3
How to Flatten Layers in Photoshop CS3
How to Link Layers in Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...