A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,587
Currently Running With Scissors:
569 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First time quilting, well Rag Quilting & I have ?'s b4 I start  (Read 888 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

WhimsySister
« on: August 28, 2011 03:32:53 PM »

I want to do a rag quilt for my teen daughter to use during sporting events to keep warm when her team is waiting. She plays High School volleyball & softball. And sometimes they have to wait in an uncomfortable environment. So, instead of the fleece blankets everyone has I've always wanted to have a rag quilt & thought I'd start with a snuggly size.

I bought about 8 diff flannel prints in school colors. & I bought batting (as the lady at the small shop insisted I still needed it for a rag quilt (do I?) )Then I bought a pattern online that is a little more tedious than I had hoped for this project. I think simple squares are sufficient.

Questions
*Batting?
*Can I combine different types of fabric? Like flannel for the front and tee-shirt images for the back? Thought I'd incorporate   some of her old sport shirts from teams over the years.
*Do I have to have a middle layer? If so can it just be flannel? I read where some make rag quilts with the color they want to be dominant as the center layer. That way when it's "ragged" it shows more of that color.
*For a future quilt (if I survive this one) can I use woven cotton fabric?
*Will it "rag" as well as flannel? Can cotton & flannel be used together?

Thank you in advance! I'll never probably get to this point but if I could my dream quilt would be to do the London Tube quilt. When we were in London it was 5 months after the Tube & buses were bombed. It was probably our only chance to be there so there was NO way I wasn't riding those! I loved them both! I've seen the Tokyo subway quilt and searched and found the London Tube pattern. Ah, maybe in my old age... older age.  Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

... and they lived happily ever after ... in Ireland.
anaximander
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011 06:16:24 PM »

Answers:
For rag quilts, you don't really have to have batting - especially if she's sweaty, it may be *too* warm. That being said, cut the batting into squares smaller than the square of your fabric, so that it's within the "pocket" formed when sewing the layers together (For flannel, you'll want at least 2.)

T-shirts and rag quilts don't really mix, because t-shirt is a knit, and it'll unravel if it's not reinforced and seamed in. However, if you wanted to do flannel on one side and old blue jeans on the other, that'd totally work.

You can have a middle layer if you want one. That sounds cool to me. If you do this, you probably won't want the batting, though - I think that'd be too warm.

For a future quilt, you can totally use woven cotton fabric. It'll rag fairly well, but I'm not sure whether it'll be better or worse - I don't do rag quilts, m'self, but others on this board may have opinions.

Good luck & keep us posted!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eowynt

Not all who wander are lost

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011 07:29:18 PM »

I have made three rag quilts from flannel (1 baby, 1 lap, and 1 twin), and I did not use a middle layer for any of them.  It is a personal choice.  I know some people use flannel for a middle layer, which would be thinner than batting. . .

I have seen a couple of rag quilts from cotton broadcloth, but I haven't made one. . .  I  imagine they are lighter weight, and not quite as warm as the flannel ones (unless you use a middle layer).

Have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One is less than three.
Homerof2
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011 10:27:29 PM »

I've done a number of rag quilts and have never used batting, it's just not necessary when using flannel.

I wouldn't combine flannel and t-shirt material as the t-shirt won't rag but you can use flannel and cotton together with no problem and they both rag well.

You don't have to have a middle layer but from my experience I think you get a better rag look with a 3rd layer - it just depends on how heavy you want the quilt and how much ragging you want.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WhimsySister
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011 06:05:56 AM »

Thanks everyone! From what I've learned I'll try a t-shirt quilt later instead of combining. (always looking for a way to combine work).  And I think I will add the center layer since I want it to look really ragged and for extra warmth. She's playing indoor softball again this winter and I'm pretty sure last year it was snowing in there! If she doesn't use it I CAN!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

... and they lived happily ever after ... in Ireland.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn how to Make Cucumber and String Bean Salad with Olive Tapenade Dressing
Learn how to Cook Dill and Feta Turkey Burgers with Cucumber and String Bean Salad
Learn how to Make Fried Chicken Steak Sandwich with Homemade Onion Rings
Learn how to Make Fried Chicken Steak with Mashed Potatoes and White Gravy
Learn how to Finish an Apple and Vidalia Onion Upside Down Cake
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...