A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 298,068
Currently Running With Scissors:
368 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: (Cranberry) Muffin Assistance.  (Read 995 times)
Tags for this thread: recipe , muffin , cranberry  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kuruku
« on: June 11, 2005 12:05:43 AM »

I'm looking for a perfect cranberry muffin recipe. I have a few books that have basic muffin recipes, but I'm worried -- I want the muffin to be doughy and moist, and heavier in weight, not at all cakey like commercially bought muffins. Any suggestions to how to achieve a consistency like that? I'm guessing that it's the baking powder that makes a muffin cakey but I could likely be wrong.

Moderator edit to move recipe to this thread Smiley

Brilliant advice from everybody!

Now I understand why all muffin recipes I find instruct to mix 'just until moistened.'

I actually found a muffin recipe that worked for exactly what I was looking for. It did turn out a little 'rubbery,' but that was kinda what I was looking for  Wink

1/4 c. melted butter/oil
1 1/2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. sugar (I used brown)
1 egg
1/2 c. milk

Mix together dry, separately mix 'wet,' add to well in dry, mix 'just until moistened' and back at 375 for...The regular amount of time (I can't recall, perhaps 20 mins?)

OH and cranberries. I added those, frozen, about a cup.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011 09:18:09 AM by Troublet - Reason: edited to move recipe to OP » THIS ROCKS   Logged

francie pants
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2005 11:54:16 AM »

our baker makes the most fan'futtin'tabulous fresh cranberry and white chocolate chip muffins.  they're not at all cakey... more like sugary rich dessert.  i'll see if i can weasel his recipe away Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kuruku
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2005 02:12:31 PM »

Oh, my, those sound amazing...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

McAuliflower
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005 12:51:07 PM »

I'm looking for a perfect cranberry muffin recipe. I have a few books that have basic muffin recipes, but I'm worried -- I want the muffin to be doughy and moist, and heavier in weight, not at all cakey like commercially bought muffins. Any suggestions to how to achieve a consistency like that? I'm guessing that it's the baking powder that makes a muffin cakey but I could likely be wrong.

From your description it sounds like you need to look into recipes that aren't muffin recipes.

Alton Brown's recent baking book... I'm Just Here For More Food  has a nice break down on muffins that you might like to peruse in a bookstore sometime. 

Muffins are usually characterized by their interior showing all different shapes of air bubbles.  A muffin that has only small tiny air bubbles is actually just a cake mix- and not a muffin.

It sounds like you want a product with tinier, more squished together air bubbles, and one that is moister as well.  Something that might be more like a poundcake or a dense brownie?

I'm thinking that if you want a dense moist heavy product there a couple of options:
 1) Take a muffin recipe and break the internal structure by over-mixing the batter.  Undermixing the batter is a huge component to making your muffins light and airy.  Since you don't want that- do the opposite and mix away.
 2) Increase the amount of sugar you use to increase the denseness and moisture of your finished muffin.  In fact- use brown sugar instead of white and that will get you started.
 3) Play around with decreasing your leavening amounts like you suggested.
 4) Maybe look at recipes for baked goods that have the consistency you do want and see what the fat:flour:sugar ratio is while also looking at leavening used.  Good recipes to look at would be a poundcake recipe or moist brownies.
 5) Take a muffin recipe and change the way you mix it to more mimic cakes for a dense and moist product.  Muffins, in addition to their internal bubble shape, are also characterized by the way their ingredients are put together.  To make your muffins denser try using butter instead of oil, and cream the butter and sugar together as the first step of the recipe.  Then add the eggs and liquid flavorings, and then sifting in the dry ingredients.

Whew- alot of options to try out!  If you have the patience, I'd suggest trying out these options one at a time- instead of all together in one recipe.

Have fun baking Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

save your fork- there's pie! http://www.browniepointsblog.com
ciri
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005 08:14:59 PM »

Add oatmeal. It makes muffins alot denser and healthier. My mom makes cranberry-oatmeal muffins all the time and they're really good. I'll find a recipe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ming
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005 06:40:32 AM »

Alton Brown's recent baking book... I'm Just Here For More Food  has a nice break down on muffins that you might like to peruse in a bookstore sometime. 

I actually have Alton's book, as well as a great reference/recipes book from Cooks Illustrated. If you want, I can write down the jist of what they say *I haven't really read through Alton's book yet, and I just bought the Cooks Illustrated book last night*. I have yet to make muffins from scratch, I'm in the middle of a move and all my muffin pans are in another apartment... my husband is also currently deployed and I don't trust myself with dozens of muffins by myself at home. Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2005 08:52:59 AM »

Over-mixing muffins can make them denser, but also hard or rubbery, and unappealing. I wouldn't recommend it.

The oatmeal is a good idea; better yet, pulverize the oatmeal in a blender and sub that for flour. Or, use whole wheat flour/white flour blend, half and half or more whole wheat. Yes, the taste will change a bit. You can sub some ground nuts for some of the flour as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thommoose
Moose

mind if I borrow your light green Sharpie?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2005 12:07:44 PM »

Cake flour will help out as well--- smaller particulate won't dry out the muffin- and will help with preventing the little morsels from becoming hockey pucks if you break the batter...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"...those that matter do not judge and those that judge do not matter..."  -unknown

"Can I do this? Or do I look like some sort of gay superhero?" - Sterling
Kuruku
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2005 01:17:49 PM »

Brilliant advice from everybody!

Now I understand why all muffin recipes I find instruct to mix 'just until moistened.'

I actually found a muffin recipe that worked for exactly what I was looking for. It did turn out a little 'rubbery,' but that was kinda what I was looking for  Wink

1/4 c. melted butter/oil
1 1/2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. sugar (I used brown)
1 egg
1/2 c. milk

Mix together dry, separately mix 'wet,' add to well in dry, mix 'just until moistened' and back at 375 for...The regular amount of time (I can't recall, perhaps 20 mins?)

OH and cranberries. I added those, frozen, about a cup.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jaclyn Smith’s Beauty Secrets!
Rachel Zoe Spring 2014 - New York Fashion Week - Behind the Scenes & Runway
Think Like a Star with This Celeb Inspired Makeup Look
A Natural Static Killer
How to Do a Halo Braid on Short Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...