A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,213
Currently Running With Scissors:
523 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Freezer Paper Stenciling on Artist's Canvas - is it possible?  (Read 3834 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pjhamel
« on: August 27, 2011 03:59:53 PM »

So I have been really interested lately in the awesome crayon melting designs that have taken the internet by storm, and they kind of gave me an idea. What if I did it, but had a stencil of some kind attached to the canvas so that the crayons melted around the design and I could pull of the stencil to reveal the image?

Now, obviously, the best way to do this kind of "negative" stenciling on fabric is to use freezer paper, because it fuses with the fabric and keeps paint from dripping around it. But I want to do the crayon melting over a canvas.

So, my question is, does freezer paper affix to canvas the same way it does fabric? Would this idea even be possible?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I will happily do personal swaps for beads, buttons, and fat quarters!

My Pinterest
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011 12:22:41 AM »

I suspect so, depending on what the finish is on it - there is the possibility that it could lift the finish off if it was primed with something, but if it is fully cured, I doubt it.  My only concern would be when you are pulling off the freezer paper, if you are using the melted crayons - that it could pull off some of your crayon layers and you may not get as crisp an image.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
gutshot
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011 09:01:52 AM »

it should adhere just fine to canvas... what you're really doing is melting the plastic side of the freezer paper so it should stick to just about anything honestly.  I'd agree though, you could have some problem with it pulling up the wax.  I'd say try it What's the worst thing that happens?  It fails?  Meh!  You still learn something right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pjhamel
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011 04:17:09 PM »

Thanks, guys! I plan on trying it sometime this month (Don't know when though, because school just started and I am extremely busy). We shall see how it turns out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I will happily do personal swaps for beads, buttons, and fat quarters!

My Pinterest
hockamama
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011 07:57:56 AM »

I painted some canvases brown, then stenciled letters on them to look like scrabble tiles.  I tried freezer paper first, but it wouldn't adhere well.  It may very possibly have been something I did.  Or maybe it was the paint.  Anyway, I ended up using contact paper, which worked much better.

Good luck, and be sure to post pics when you're finished  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A work of art is the unique result of a unique temperament.
  ~Oscar Wilde

wistpinterestfacebook
sweatereyes

We are but lovers.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012 07:32:24 AM »

You might have some trouble adhering the freezer paper to the canvas *if* the canvas has Gesso, or paint on it already.  (I'm not saying that it won't work, just that it probably wouldn't)  If you really want to use freezer paper, it would work on raw canvas, but keep in mind that that gives a very different "look" to the canvas at the end, and you might still need to prime or Gesso the areas with crayon on it (since the raw canvas will quite literally soak up a lot more of the colour).

But, this is how I stencil on painted canvas: painters (or masking) tape and wax paper (or even regular paper if you aren't a wet painter).  I would cut my paper stencil pieces a little smaller than needed, to allow me to tape all the way around them.  Although it may seem impossible to get nice rounded edges with this method, I just use a small utility knife to carefully adjust the tape edge when necessary.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ill weave your names into my ribcage; lock your hearts inside my chest.
Regain the passion I once carried; do away with all the rest.
I tore the sickness from your bodies; smashed its head against the bricks.
I made a castle from its bones that you may always dwell in it.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Traditional Pumpkin Pie
How to Make Simple Peanut Butter Cookies
Strawberry-Banana Sherbet Recipe
How to Make Traditional Buttermilk Beignets
Caramel Filled Chocolate Easter Cupcake Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...