A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,052
Currently Running With Scissors:
661 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anyone else have serious crafting ADHD? (Pics of maiden attempts at quilts...)  (Read 738 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

flinty
« on: August 26, 2011 07:21:02 PM »

It's my first post with pics on Craftster! I've been teaching myself how to sew and to make quilts and, as is typical for me, I have the attention span of a six year old boy. So somehow, I now have three yet-to-be-quilted quilts in various stages of development.

This first one is the one that's under major time-crunch. My SO's advisor just had a baby and I wanted to do something for her. I enlisted the help of my SO and I think that might have been a mistake on my part... whenever we go to fabric stores now, he paws at fabrics and asks if we could have any use for "the cutest turtle print ever", etc. (Unfortunately, he's got an irrational fear of pressing because, as a child, his mother told him he couldn't iron his own clothes because he'd surely burn the house down. But he's willing to rip seams and cut fabric, so I can't complain too much.) I REALLY should've insisted that we do a simple nine-patch quilt but he didn't like the ways those looked (sigh) so we ended up copying an appliqued elephant design from... a book whose title I cannot currently recall. We were in our local fabric store for two hours because we couldn't come to an agreement on fabrics! (Would've been easier if I hadn't been dead-set against anything too girly. He kept on going to the pinks, I kept on shooting his choices down...) This is where we're at at the moment:

(Really, I'm capable of better photos than this but I took these quickly to show to some of my friends, who are all highly amused that I would do something as domestic as sewing. I'll have better photos when they're done!)

I think the backing is a little on the fug side but the animal print was what we agreed on (this took another hour at another store)... and then I got home and realized that I hadn't gotten enough of it. So there was some very haphazard improvisation involved.

This second quilt... is really the first quilt. After my SO picked out the elephant design, I decided it would be a good idea to do a dry run on a quilt we would keep, made out of fabric I already had on hand... although it took us at least three hours to agree on this design too. I think the pig is so much cuter than the elephant and I'm sort of upset that I hadn't yet discovered fusible interfacing at this point! Actually, doing this lil piggy taught me why people use interfacing... I'm all about the trial and error. A lot of trials, a lot of errors.

A pic of the pig part of the quilt... it takes up about the same proportion of space as the elephant in the other quilt:

Finally, I decided to do something a little more straightforward: a quilt for Quilts for Kids. I had been wanting to do some sort of non-fundraising volunteer work in the last few years but I rarely have the time or energy to do anything but stumble home at the end of the day. I was thrilled to read about Quilts for Kids! An opportunity to be craftsy AND help others? It's two birds with one stone! I had been doing other patchwork items for the past two months so I figured I could at least piece together a straightforward nine-patch. The nine-patch part was 94% fine. There's a bit of wonkiness here and there but generally, it looks good. Learning how to quilt in a small, un-airconditioned apartment on the other hand... that's been tougher going.

(...I don't think I'll be using Craftster photo hosting from now on. It really compressed the heck out of my already-not-fab photos.)

I've been holding off from even planning another nine-patch that I want to send in along with the above quilt... that'll be my reward for finishing these quilts. Once I finish these three, I get to start another quilt. Maybe even two... 
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011 07:22:56 PM by flinty » THIS ROCKS   Logged
anaximander
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011 10:33:28 AM »

Well, you're not a real quilter until you have at least 3 projects on the go, all at varying stages of complete. I'm trying to finish a bunch up before I move, and am just overwhelmed with them Smiley

What I've found works for me is when I'm in a "finish up" mood, I pick the one that's *closest* to being done (for example, the "christmas" quilt from two years ago that all I had to do was add the final 2 borders, which were already cut, and why didn't I just finish that up 2 years ago?) and finish it completely. That gives me the "it's done" rush, and I'll usually keep going and get the next-most-done project to at least almost finished, if not finished entirely.

It also helps me to make a list of all the quilts that need finished, and to write down what I need in order to finish it, so that I can either spread the purchases out, or buy all of them if I get a little windfall.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011 10:24:29 PM »

Starting them is definitely the most fun! I really like doing binding though, so wanting to get to that stage encourages me to finish! Don't feel bad, I have a ton in progress at any one given time--one that needs binding, one that needs quilting, one that is pieced but not yet sandwiched, and two that are still in the piecing stage! Yikes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/13

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Totallyblank
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011 05:04:43 PM »

Same here! I have one quilt that just needs binding, one top that's 3/4 pieced, a couple tops that are 1/2 pieced and some random blocks that I made for one quilt or another but never finished. Sometimes I force myself to finish something before I can start my next project, but usually I just can't wait to try something new...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Start a Basic Crochet Blanket
How to Use Triple Crochet in Granny Squares
How to Press Down Your Loom Knitted Material
How to Make Christmas Tree Yoyos 2/2
How to Make Christmas Tree Yoyos 1/2
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...