A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,804
Currently Running With Scissors:
592 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hot Lava Cardigan  (Read 2730 times)
Tags for this thread: cardigan  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

miss helen
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2005 11:35:31 PM »

I am so excited to start this project--my very first sweater used Manos as a (poorly chosen) substitute, and now I know exactly what to do with the frogged sweater! But looking at the picture of the model wearing it...is the upper back usually that loose, or is it because she's not very busty? If I (blessed with C-cups, but only five feet tall!) knit this in a size small, and give it enough room in the front, will I avoid the loose back?
I am wondering about the loose back, too. It is my dream knit apart from the loose back(I don't mean to be rude to the designer, either)....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alicesonmarie
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2005 08:06:52 AM »

miss helen and repo repo - 
the sweater is knit in 2 parts. the first part is just a long sleeve simple shrug. the 2nd part is picked up sts around the middle of the shrug. so the "loose back" you are seeing is the 1st shrug part. it's really is not that loose. it think it is more that the 2nd part where it curves around your back it more tight. but you want that part to be tight because thats what gives it shape in front. so the answear is that the looseness has nothing to do with breast size and more to do with how your arms are positioned.... if that makes sense

i finished that a few weeks ago. will post pics soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RepoRebo
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2005 01:42:36 PM »

Well, I've finished and I'm pretty happy with the result. But as I feared, the back is very loose--even baggy--on me. The front fits perfectly, but it's as if I have a whole handful of extra fabric drooping from my back, not nicely hanging like it does on the model. I'm sure part of it is my poor ability to modify patterns to fit my size. The lower part of the back is a bit too long for me as well...I have a pretty short torso, so I'm getting some bunching on the lower back, and then my "bag" up top. I wish I had done some decreases after the first sleeve, when I was starting the back...that would have cut down on the length of the "bag" and fit me better, and the cropped length in back would have been more emphasized. (Or would it? The logistics of pattern modification escape me.)

But heck, I don't care--this is the first sweater I've completed and don't have to frog, and I'll wear it proudly! It was a ton of fun to knit, and it looks beautiful in the manos color I used (104--I think it's called prairie.) I'll definitely post a picture once I have someone to take it for me.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

storybook_farm
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2005 07:50:48 AM »

I don't know if this is allowed or not, but I bought 6 skeins of merino from handpaintedyarns.co m to make the lava--and the yarn is lovely but too light for me--I wear dark colors mostly.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2011 03:48:33 PM by lapoli - Reason: to comply with craftster rules » THIS ROCKS   Logged
cinimonstk

Smokey says NO to Sew Fast So Sleazy!!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2005 05:47:23 PM »

I don't know if this is allowed or not, but I bought 6 skeins of merino from handpaintedyarns.co m to make the lava--and the yarn is lovely but too light for me--I wear dark colors mostly

wow, that is some gorgeous yarn. Too bad my pocketbook is tight! Smiley
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011 03:49:03 PM by lapoli - Reason: to fix a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

BOYCOTT SEW FAST SEW SLEAZY!
http://www.cafepress.com/saynotosfse/
zknits
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2005 10:54:11 AM »

the hot lava cardigan is my very first non-hat/scarf project that i've picked up...that despite the 5 years (2 intensive ones) of knitting i have under my belt...so i just started working on it recently after drooling over the pattern and the yarn i got for it for a couple months, only to find that the gauge isn't quite right...bleh!  i'm hoping i can figure it out before i'm finished the first sleeve so that the rest will come out right...somehow the gauge is right for the width but not for the length...

for those of you scared of magic loop (part of the reason that i didn't start it for such a long time), it's really not so bad...i was very intimidated with the idea of learning a new technique, but it's very simple and i like it better than working with dpns for that small of a project!  the one thing i found i have to be careful of is making sure i knit extra tight on the last stiches on the needle so there's no gap in the stitches...

z
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my knitting podcast (knit obsession) at: http://seezknit.blogspot.com/

http://zknitsgoods.blogspot.com/
sewincbm

maybe i just like towels!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2006 12:39:12 PM »

wow this is such a cute cardi! I'm thinking i NEED to do this! but i was wondering, whats it the difference(pattern wise) of the white one? i can't really see if the dark picture had those some details or what. BUT could someone post a pattern for that white cardi on the site?

thank you

A

P.S. http://www.bluealvarez.com/bluealva/patterns/hotlava.html  thats the picture I'm talking about!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

holla
VSUangel86
The Newest Urban Knitter on the Block

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2006 04:16:32 PM »

wow this is such a cute cardi! I'm thinking i NEED to do this! but i was wondering, whats it the difference(pattern wise) of the white one? i can't really see if the dark picture had those some details or what. BUT could someone post a pattern for that white cardi on the site?

thank you

A

P.S. http://www.bluealvarez.com/bluealva/patterns/hotlava.html  thats the picture I'm talking about!

It's the same pattern. Just someone elses version.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 Marissa

----->http://urbnknitter.blogspot.com/<--- (the blog)
mlheran

Jack of all trades

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2011 12:28:16 PM »

LOVE the color and the fit -terrific work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest
swaps: -
geekella
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2011 12:36:09 PM »

CUTE! make me one ;}

lol jk
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Perfect Red Polish
Three Acne Concealing Makeup Tips
BCBG MaxAzria NYFW Fall 2014 - Interviews & Runway
How to Look Effortlessly Cool Like Kristen Stewart
Madonna to Launch Skincare Line in Japan
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...