A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,148
Currently Running With Scissors:
563 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DIY Dr. Seuss-Themed Playroom/Kids Room  (Read 6379 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sisteroo
« on: August 26, 2011 10:41:58 AM »

(Tutorial pics at: http://www.sisteroo.com/2011/08/dr-seuss-playroom.html)

Oh, the THINKS you can THINK! Have you ever dreamed of having a bedroom/playroom painted with wild and colorful characters? I have had this dream since I was a young girl. I just moved into a beautiful home with a dedicated playroom, so my fantasy finally became a realistic project. Books are the best way to get inspiration for children's rooms and I have been a Seuss-lover my whole life. Seriously, who doesn't love Seuss?!

I'm not going to lie, this project was a pink-tuffed-who-BEAST. Since my husband was dying to mount his new projector (never to be removed again) in our new home theater, I was in a time-crunch (meaning, get it done asap). I worked while the kids were sleeping--a 2-3 hour nap during the day and 7pm-12/1am. Painting 6-10 hours a day for a week and a half was very stressful and I would not recommend doing it this fast to anyone.

Tutorial pictures at: http://www.sisteroo.com/2011/08/dr-seuss-playroom.html

I know all of you don't have access to a projector, but you might be able to snag the office projector for a few nights, or perhaps rent one locally. For pictures as well-known as Seuss, I wouldn't recommend free-hand for most people.

Free-hand or project your background, if any. Project your images and trace onto the wall. Try to keep the projector straight-on with the wall so your image is not distorted. Keep in mind your whole room plan and size your images accordingly.
Color in the lines. It's like a giant coloring book (that makes you ache and convulse after a few hours...only 68 hours to go!).

To organize the toys (pictures at: http://www.sisteroo.com/2011/08/dr-seuss-playroom.html

--Martha Stewart cubbies from Home Depot.

--Dress-up clothes wardrobe from IKEA.

--Toy drawers from IKEA.

Thanks for joining me in my world of Seuss. Best of luck with your painting projects!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011 03:50:23 PM by Sisteroo - Reason: Request from moderator. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sandroo

Mine is an evil laugh!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011 10:52:23 AM »

This is seriously amazing!!  Even with the projector, you have MAD painting skills!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

angelofthelastday

Beware: objects in glass are actual size.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011 04:12:54 PM »

Amazing, wow, holy cow, and damn does not even come close to describing how I think about this project! You did an amazing job!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011 04:13:34 PM by angelofthelastday » THIS ROCKS   Logged

cjohns6
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011 04:16:00 PM »

Wow, that looks amazing! So much work though, you must adore your children.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lieutenant_crunch

Actually, I've been promoted. It's Captain Crunch.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011 04:26:49 PM »

Wow! That's very impressive. I love the table and chairs too, they look very Seuss-y. Awesome job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm participating in the Year of Homemade Gifts!: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=387047.0
Norahm1
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011 08:18:46 PM »

Well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jewel Crafts by Jenn
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012 07:10:34 PM »

This room is absolutely amazing!! I have to say that Dr. Seuss is my hero and this room, it just makes me want to paint a room like this in my house just to stay young!! Smiley Fantastic work!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ivlichelle
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012 08:22:24 PM »

Eeee! I hope you don't mind that I just pinned this (not from here, but directly from your blog)

Its AMAZING!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have A.D.O.S. -- Attention Deficit... OH SHINY!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Stanley Tucci Shares Family Recipes in His New Cookbook
R.L. Stine Reveals His New Adult Novel Red Rain
The Final Death of the Novel
Exposing Scientology
Margaret Atwood on Writing Dystopia
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...