A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 298,096
Currently Running With Scissors:
430 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Easy Cute Black & White Garter Belt! tute  (Read 3936 times)
Tags for this thread: lingerie , garter_belt , black , white , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftgirlie
« on: August 25, 2011 10:40:01 PM »

Alrightyy. So, lingerie can be pretty expensive so I decided to make a garter belt myself. I made this one all out of stuff I already had in my bedroom.

I used:

1 oldish v neck spaghetti strap shirt
4 old removable bra straps
some elastic
needle and thread and/or sewing machine
some bows
and frilly elastic off of some old panties.

I don't have pics of all the steps because I decided to post it after I was already finished. But I started out by cutting the top of the spaghetti strap shirt off so I had just the connected to triangle peices. The shirt I used was from american eagle but I have alot of old shirts and new ones in this style from different places.
Next I cut the straps off of the shirt.
Then I sinched up the middle with a needle and thread so the point in the "V" of the v neck was touching the bottom of the shirt section I had cut off.
Then I sewed one bow on each of the points of the triangle peices of my piece of shirt, and one bow in the middle where the v point is.
My shirt already had lace on the front and part of the back, so I didnt have to add much. Some of these types of shirts have the lace on the triangle parts but not on the straight part. You can add lace where ever your particular shirt is lacking.
I added a strip of lace that I cut off of some old panties to the "top" (flip the shirt so the triangles are down, and it looks more like a garter belt) of the back of mine. Then I sewed a bow to the middle of that peice of lace.
Okay, now for the straps. Because I used old bra straps the pieces that will connect to the garter belt and stockings are more of hooks rather than traditional garter belt clips. This isn't too big of a problem.
All you have to do is sew a small peice of elastic, (other fabric may work too, I haven't tried it) onto the top of the inside of the front and back of your stockings (2 per stocking, 1 front and 1 back).
Then do the same on your garter belt, 2 on the back (1 near the left and 1 near the right) and 2 on the front (1 on the back of the tip of each triangle). Make sure your small elastic peices are sewn onto the stockings and garter belt VERTICALLY. Then the bra strap clips will hook right in easily, and then the straps are removable.
Now if you hook the straps onto the garter belt and they are too long (they go past where the tops of your stockings will be on you) then you can shorten them by cutting a correctly sized peice out and resewing it back together. It's easy to measure how long you will need the straps if you try the garter belt on with straps hooked into the garter belt and the stockings on.
Remember that bra straps are adjustable so you may not have to do any sewing of the straps at all, just adjust them. I had to cut and sew to shorten my 2 front garter belt straps but I just adjusted the straps on the back 2 and it fit fine.
I didn't on mine, but if you want you could also add a bow at the top of each of the back straps as well.

More Pics:
http://s1142.photobucket.com/albums/n618/craftgirlie/Black%20Garter%20Belt/
hope you like it (: it's easy to make!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011 02:53:13 PM by TheSapphireMoon - Reason: add images » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Frl. Tralala

Tailor till death

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011 01:29:48 AM »

looks really cute!! i tried it once with a pattern and sucked gloriously... maybe i should make one like you did!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sparkly Sharp Fabulous
Sparkly Sharp and Fabulous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011 08:52:51 AM »

Wow! That came out awesome! I love the black and white! Your directions made so much sense, I'm def putting this on my to do list! Thanks for sharing!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sparkly Sharp Fabulous
Sparkly Sharp and Fabulous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011 01:51:20 PM »

Sweeeet! I had to share this with my friends on FB! I can't get over how easy you made it sound! Thanks again!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Beef Muffins
She Crab Soup Recipe
Bacon Explosion Recipe
Spiced Nuts
Macaroni and Cheese
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...