A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,542
Currently Running With Scissors:
556 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Retro polka-dot dress  (Read 5708 times)
Tags for this thread: dress , retro , polka_dot  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

N30Nb100d
« on: August 25, 2011 05:26:14 PM »

One of my friends really likes pinup/retro dresses, so when we were trying to come up with a Christmas present from me to her, I suggested I make one. It took a looong time, with lots of little problems along the way, but I finally got it together for some photos the other day.

I couldn't find a suitable pattern so I made a sloper for her and went from there. I think it worked out okay - except it took lots of fittings and when we put it on for the photos, the dress was way too big in the back waist even though it fit last fitting. Oh well, I'll fix it some day.

It is a halter top, with a separate red tie belt, lined and lightly boned bodice (except the two front seams), and a circle skirt (maybe it's 3/4 circle...). I also made a light petticoat to go with it.

Alright, enough of that, on to the pics! (I played hair stylist, makeup artist, and photographer as well, so any comments/suggestions about those are also welcome)

(not the best photo, but the best one I have showing how the halter curves)

bodice lining:

and one more from the photoshoot for fun  Smiley

Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sparkly Sharp Fabulous
Sparkly Sharp and Fabulous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011 05:56:26 PM »

wow you are so talented! i think it looks great! the photos came out really well too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Quinkes
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011 10:38:31 PM »

your friend looks a million dollars in that outfit, well done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011 03:27:37 AM »

that is really well done! I hope your friend really loves it, because that right there is a labour of love Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tiffi_333
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011 07:07:43 AM »

The inside of the dress looks really well finished. It always impresses me when someone makes the inside so clean (i always try my hardest to do the same). I think the red sash was the perfect touch, the colour pops out really nicely Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
P.M.G.
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011 04:57:15 PM »

Everything about this dress is professionally done. I love how it came out and it is very flattering on your friend. I want to make one.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
N30Nb100d
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011 05:19:42 PM »

Thanks for the lovely comments everyone, I'll have to pass them on to my friend as well.

The inside of the dress looks really well finished. It always impresses me when someone makes the inside so clean (i always try my hardest to do the same). I think the red sash was the perfect touch, the colour pops out really nicely Smiley

There's some parts on the inside I wish had come out better (especially around the zipper), but thank you : ) I really like seeing nicely finished insides too.
We weren't going to have the sash originally but tried it with one during a fitting and I thought the same thing!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Elphelba
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011 11:22:02 AM »

That's stunning. I bet she loves it. The fact that you took the time to finish the inside makes it look really expensive Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stop being so damned positive. Staring at the sun only blinds some one. By only looking at the positive, you miss an entire beautiful world of shadows and colors. Don't be overly negative, be realistic. The world is so much more complex and beautiful that way.
iloveskirts

You can never have enough fabric!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011 11:46:58 AM »

Great dress, and awesome pics!  It reminds me of a dress I made for my daughter last year but that one wasn't a halter.  You did a wonderful job.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't ask God to bless what you're doing.  Instead, find what He's blessing and do that!
He who calls, equips
He who leads, feeds
He who guides, provides
PumpkinTaylor
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012 07:16:36 PM »

I would wear this in a hot minute! Luck friend!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dream In Color
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Must-Have Waterproof Makeup Products
What Products to Use and Avoid When You Have Sunburn
Our Favorite Picks for Cruelty Free Beauty Products
The Spoon Facial: Does It Work or Is It a Joke?
5 Things to Try This July 2014
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...