A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 298,698
Currently Running With Scissors:
829 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sharing a booth and variety of items ???  (Read 2446 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AshtonagoL
« on: August 24, 2011 08:55:01 AM »

I'm gearing up to do some craft shows between now and Christmas.  I asked a friend if she would be interested in sharing a booth with me and she is.  But I'm not sure a fair way to split the booth fee.  I'm going to be selling mainly purses and bags.  She is going to be selling mainly hair accessories.  Since her items are a lot less expensive is it fair to split the booth cost 50/50?  If not, what seems fair?  60/40? 70/30?  Some type of formula based on each person's profit for the day?
Also, I have ideas for a lot of smaller items I'd like to make to sell along with my bags.  Would it be better to just choose 2-3 small items and make a wide variety of those?  Or lots of different items with only a few of each?  For example, lots of coin purses and make up bags?  Or a few coin purses, a few makeup bags, some wallets, checkbook covers, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chris in VT
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011 03:35:47 AM »

It would depend on the amount of space each of you take. If each of you have 50% of the space, the cost is split 50/50. If you take 3/4 of the space, you pay 3/4 of the fee.
How big is the space? Is it a space, or a table? You have large, bulky items. And if it's a table, is there room for two exhibitors? If it's a 10x10 space, will you get enough exposure in 5 feet?

And as long as making other items, as long as the medium is the same, use your own discretion.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's NOTHING at a craft show, or on Etsy, anybody NEEDS. NOTHING.
www.shadypinestudios.com
sweatereyes

We are but lovers.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011 06:18:06 AM »

The two of you should really sit down and discuss this together.  Personally, I would want to split it 50/50 and then divide the space equally. 

I did a show with a friend, we decided to have our stuff co-mingled on our shared table... by the end of the weekend, I had made more sales than she did and I'm sure that there was animosity because of it. 

You don't yucky business stuff messing around with your friendship (trust me), so the best bet is to really really sit down and discuss everything openly and candidly.  Even issues such as whether or not both of you need to stay at the table/ booth all the time, if you're helping sell the other's stuff, how to split the space, if you plan on sitting during the show... literally everything you can think of.  You might not think that some of that small stuff matters, but during a show when you're excited, stressed, etc, its best if your both on the same page and knows what to expect from the other person.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ill weave your names into my ribcage; lock your hearts inside my chest.
Regain the passion I once carried; do away with all the rest.
I tore the sickness from your bodies; smashed its head against the bricks.
I made a castle from its bones that you may always dwell in it.
AshtonagoL
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011 08:11:15 AM »

Thanks for the ideas!  I do plan on discussing it with my friend.  Just wanted some viable options first or we'd just be sitting around saying, "well I don't know what do YOU think is fair?" lol. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MEshelltakeone
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011 08:49:20 AM »

The two of you should really sit down and discuss this together.  Personally, I would want to split it 50/50 and then divide the space equally. 

I did a show with a friend, we decided to have our stuff co-mingled on our shared table... by the end of the weekend, I had made more sales than she did and I'm sure that there was animosity because of it. 

You don't yucky business stuff messing around with your friendship (trust me), so the best bet is to really really sit down and discuss everything openly and candidly.  Even issues such as whether or not both of you need to stay at the table/ booth all the time, if you're helping sell the other's stuff, how to split the space, if you plan on sitting during the show... literally everything you can think of.  You might not think that some of that small stuff matters, but during a show when you're excited, stressed, etc, its best if your both on the same page and knows what to expect from the other person.

When you mix your stuff together, how do you keep track of how much each one of you sold? If a customer buys 2 things, and pays with a $20, do you keep the money seperate or do you keep inventory of your things and know how much you should have out of the total money given at the end of the day.

Just curious....  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweatereyes

We are but lovers.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011 06:45:55 AM »

(Sorry I haven't properly figured out "quoting" on here and honestly don't have the energy to figure it out now..)

Anywho, to MEshelltakeone:

We actually didn't have any money issues.  We had a co-mingled float, we both put the exact same amount of money into it (and we even wrote down how much we put in just in case we forgot by the end of the weekend).  We also wrote down every little thing we sold and for how much we sold it.  I am a little crazy when it comes to handling money and I keep track of *everything*.  After the weekend, we just sat down, and both figured out how much we think we should be taking, then added up the money and saw if it made sense.  Luckily, it did make sense, we were less than a dollar off (possibly even a quarter off).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ill weave your names into my ribcage; lock your hearts inside my chest.
Regain the passion I once carried; do away with all the rest.
I tore the sickness from your bodies; smashed its head against the bricks.
I made a castle from its bones that you may always dwell in it.
BabyCakes8510

*Sparkly like a holiday*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011 08:57:07 AM »

I haven't actually done this yet but last year the booth fee was $80 for a 10x10 at this huge fantastic craft fair. But the fee scared me. So I asked my cousin and she was excited about doing it at first and back out on me right before I sent out all the forms. Ugh. So diappointing. BUT My plan was to just divide the booth in two and she get half and I get half (making it a 5x10 booth) since craft fair fees are based on square footage anyway. That way she knew what space she had to fill and I knew what space I had to fill. I don't know if it would have worked or not but I thought that was the best way to not only keep it fair but keep us seperated as far as sales and together for support.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AbsoluteJeanius
artsy craftsy gal

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011 01:52:03 PM »

I've shared booth space several times and we're all still friends!  Wink 

The first time, we each made inventories of the stuff we brought and made a copy so we'd each know what we had and what the other had.  At the end of the show, we tallied the remainders to figure out what we'd sold, then counted the money, deducted the float, and checked to see whether we balanced.  That worked well.  It was a pain.

After that, we put double price tags on items - the extra one was colored and had our initials and the cost.  When we sold an item, we removed the colored tag and put it into the cash box.  That was a lot easier but I wondered about stuff walking away or one of us forgetting to remove a tag...  The friend I did this show with was well pleased, though, so we did this when we showed together.

Since then, I've moved and not shared a booth.  If I were to do so again, I'd do the inventory. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amarok
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011 11:53:19 AM »

i actually had a friend come and sell his stuff beside mine on my table last saturday at a craft fair. HE WANTED to pay 10 euros of the 30 euros fee, which i accepted 'cause i was way too tired to fight him on that one. but since majority of the sales items were mine and he only sold one piece, i didn't think it was fair AND i was going to let him tag a long for free, because he did bring me a soda and a sandwich.

as far as the money and inventory, if both of you sell plenty of stuff i'd recommend having the same cash box and just writing down how much you've sold. doesn't need much, especially since there is two of you to do the job. admittedly you need to have a little experience with being a cashier and you need to get the rythm right, but i'm sure it'll be great. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What is "Susitaika"? Susi is Wolf and Taika is Magic in Finnish.. Come and find out more!

www.susitaika.com

Free embroidery designs at www.susitaika.com/freebies.html

http://susitaika.com/shop for all your shopping needs
AshtonagoL
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011 12:10:05 PM »

Thanks everybody!  I haven't been on here in a while to respond!  I ended up sharing a booth with my cousin this past weekend and we split the cost evenly.  That worked fine so that is probably what I'll do with my friend too.  Thanks for your input!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw a Three Eyed Monster
How To Draw Elmo
How To Draw Kid Goku
How To Draw the Teletubbies
How To Draw Clowns
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...