A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,187
Currently Running With Scissors:
409 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL Charging phone holder  (Read 13241 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , phone_cozy  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nilmerg

I'm inspired by all your posts to craft some more

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 23, 2011 07:09:11 AM »

Recently I have seen this Charging phone holder ALL over pintrest and decided to make some for Mod35tbabe for our Aussie Meet up swap.Then I noticed a non craftster friend also had it pinned so I made her some tonight and decided to photograph it for my first craftster tutorial Embarrassed.

Firstly though I would like to point out this this is not my original idea, the original tutorial can be found here: http://www.machwerk-shop.de/dl_stats/view_file.php?id=9 But it is in German and in Cm's which I know a few craftsters may have a problem with! Since the original Tutorial is a free download and I am fully crediting their work I hope that it isn't an issue to provide my own version. The original writer asks that the tutorial is used for private use only (not Commercial), please respect their wishes. So here it is, i made a couple of small changes, such as; I adapted it for Australian sized plugs, so please check that the hole is the correct size for your country's electrical plug before you cut your 'hole'.

Firstly find 2 coordinating fabrics. From each fabric cut a rectangle that is 5.5" by 9" and another that is 7" by 4.5"

You will also need to cut a 5" by 8.5" rectangle from a very thick stabiliser (I guess cereal packet may do if you don't have any stabiliser to hand!)

1.5" from the top of the stabiliser cut a rectangle that is 1" by 2" (centered on the stabiliser) and trace this hole onto the reverse side of both fabrics:

Then using a coordinating thread sew along the traced lines:

Cut open the 'hole' as shown in the photo and iron back.

Do the same with the 'back' fabric and also iron in a hem so the fabric is now the same size as your stabiliser.

Take your front piece and push your cut pieces through the hole on your stabiliser. Take your back piece and lay it flat against the back of the hole. Sew around the hole to hold both pieces of fabric in place.

Fold the front fabric around the stabiliser and iron, sew around the whole phone holder to hold both fabrics in place:

So now your back piece is finished:

Now for the pocket....

Take your two 7" x 4.5" rectangles of fabric and place them face together. Sew along both of the long (7") sides:

Then take your roll of fabric (still inside out) and twist it a bit so that you now have a border of the back fabric showing above the front fabric, press and then sew up the sides leaving a 3cm gap for turning.

Turn right side out and iron. Here is what you finished pocket piece should look like (note purple border on top of button fabric):

Next, fold the 2 edges of the pocket piece under so that they are narrower than the back piece and press:

Then sew right along the edge of these pressed lines while the fabric is still folder, you want the smallest 'seam allowance' possible.

Fold out the edges of the pocket piece and sew each side to the back piece:

Arrange your pocket so that it is centred and sew to back piece with some of the pocket piece pleated in behind:

And, there you go....a finished 'charging phone holder'

The original tutorial writer suggests that for a simpler project you could use wool felt as the back - so no need for stabiliser or you two 5.5" x 9" Pieces of fabric. I just like the look of the coordinated back better.

C&C welcome. Any parts that are not clear and i need to expand on? The photos in the original tutorial are much more detailed than mine (although you need to start at page 6 for the 'back panel' and flip back to page 3 for the front pocket). So they may help if you are having difficulties.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011 02:59:56 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Taramor
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011 08:08:36 AM »

Thank you for the tutorial - it is a neat idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011 08:43:07 AM »

Very cute! I am always having to leave my phone hanging about on the counter when charging, it's a bit of a pain.

One suggestion I have to cut down on steps is for the bit where you leave the little opening... if you place the two pieces of fabric right sides together then sew the rectangle, trim the fabric inside the hole and clip the fabric to the corners, then you can turn, press and edge stitch it. It's called a welt pocket opening. http://www.fashion-incubator.com/archive/how-to-sew-a-single-welt-pocket/

This is a good tutorial too  Smiley http://www.ikatbag.com/2010/12/pockets-xxii-double-welt-pockets.html
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011 08:44:23 AM by craftylittlemonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
Sparkly Sharp Fabulous
Sparkly Sharp and Fabulous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011 10:54:05 AM »

what a great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NotKnit

My best works.

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011 11:16:07 AM »

What a neat idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011 12:44:42 PM »

How clever!  And thanks for sharing the tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011 04:51:29 PM »

This is brilliant, nilmerg!! Thank you for the tutorial. What a clever idea Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
vixen72
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011 08:08:05 AM »

Thanks for sharing and I'll have to make a few for our cell phones and my sister's cell and mom's cell and nephew's cell...Holy cow, I think I about have some of my christmas pressies done..Really neat idea....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missmandimarie
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012 02:47:48 PM »

this is a great idea. nightly i leave my phone on the floor next to my bed because the cord isn't long enough to reach the dresser.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012 02:51:09 PM »

This is such a nice way to organize all the electronics devices and cords cluttering our house. Thank you for the great tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Proof of Heaven by Eben Alexander
Afterlives of the Dead and Famous
Recovery Story: Burned, Blinded, and Blessed
Let the Sky Fall Trailer
The Life of John Hay, from Lincoln to Roosevelt
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...