A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 299,125
Currently Running With Scissors:
613 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Decorated Beer Bottles for Gifts  (Read 4731 times)
Tags for this thread: photo_tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Jenxx
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2011 01:48:50 PM »

I recently found a great recycle for those small beer, wine & cooler bottles. I've made some lovely small gifts for those occasions where you want to remember someone but don't want to spend a lot of money. 

It began last February when I was looking for a Valentine for my grandling.  He was 17 so the normal things wouldn't do.  After I washed a brown beer bottle & removed the labels,  I decorated it suitably for the occasion with painted hearts, I LOVE YOU's, etc.  Then I filled it with M&M's.  I found a small bag of them will fill the bottle & leave a small handful for me to munch on as I work.  I tied a few strands of raffia around the top, added some colorful beads & corked the bottle.  A little tag tied to the raffia finished it off.  Grandson loved it but, since I mailed it off to him, I don't have a photo of it.

Instead, I have pics of some I've made since then.  For those of you who don't have painting skills in your repertoire, don't dispair.  I've found other ways to decorate as nicely. 
The first bottle in the photo is one I painted with one stroke flowers.   I glued a few flat backed gemstones to the flower centers for a bit of sparkle.
For the second, I cut butterfly printed paper into small squares & used Mod Podge to adhere them in an overlapping pattern.  I tried to work it so most of the whole butterflies were showing.  The tiny butterfly I found in my stash looks nice tied to the top with a gold cord.
Bottle three is a clear cooler bottle that I filled with jelly beans after I Mod Podged thin strips of foil gift wrap with a few punched pieces interspersed among them.  Ribbon & beads for trim.
A coat of a light colored spray paint will give the bottle an entirely different, cheerier look.   I did that for bottle four.  Then I cut out flowers from tissue wrap & Mod Podged them in an overlapping manner.
The last is my lazy way bottle.  I found underwater creature stick-ons that I just peeled & pressed to the bottle.  Ribbon & beads again finished it. 
If you check, some of the bottle openings are just the right size for a dime to slip thru.  Decorated appropriately, it makes a fantastic gift for a newly expectant couple. Tag it with instructions for them to begin saving all of their dimes.  They'll add up quickly if they can get the grandparents-in-waiting to join in.  Open a bank account when it's full & refill until the baby is born.  It will give a nice beginning for baby's future.

Everything here can also be done with larger wine bottles but I've not calculated how many bags of M&M's it would take to fill one so you're on your own there.   

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tuberculosis
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011 04:54:55 PM »

I love these! The flower bottle on the far left is gorgeous. Great gift idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011 10:54:35 AM »

For a different look, use Jone's Soda bottles. Clear instead of brown, they have a nice screw on cap. I used a couple of those for a swap years ago-painted one with glass paint, and the second wrapped with fabric, decorated, and filled with bath beads.
But I love all the ones you made! Very pretty, I can't decide which one I like best.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@craftster
<a href="http://StudioLTD@etsy.com.>StudioLTD"</a>| Couponcode CRAFTSTER 10%
<a href=https://www.etsy.com/shop/HipsterHive?ref=shop_sugg>HipsterHive</a>|
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd6
BethanyJoy

These are my half baked ideas.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012 11:43:47 AM »

these look great! such a good idea on what to do with bottles! (lord knows there are plenty of beer bottles around my college apartment from time to time...) this was really good inspiration! thank you!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenxx
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012 01:01:19 PM »

Thanks to you all.  I enjoy hearing nice things about my projects. 

I've used the clear bottles too but the typical brown beer bottle is the most prevalent around my home.  The green is super too.  Problem is that so many have the raised lettering molded onto the bottle which eliminates them.

I've also used the single serving wine bottles but the tendency now is towards plastic ones.  These have the screw top but are smaller.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jcasler
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012 08:52:30 PM »

Cute idea! I might have to steal it... I was trying to think of something to put bath salts in!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
polkadotts

Life is good when your HEART's in the right place

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012 08:45:53 PM »

So adorable I had to pin it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What's better than Pink, Butterflies, Glitter, Mermaids, Fairies & Angels......NOTHING!!!
Time to load up the Unicorn and head to the rainbow!!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Stuffed Pork Chops
How to Make Pork Chops
Pork Recipe Collection
How to Make Herb Rubbed Pork Chops with Fire Roasted Sweet Potatoes
How to Make Mustard Encrusted Salmon with Tomato and Onion Salad
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...