A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 304,743
Currently Running With Scissors:
479 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ohhhhh....WANT. Any ideas?  (Read 2020 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

prairiefire
patchwork princess

Yes, Virginia, Cornflower Blue IS a real color.

View Profile
« on: August 22, 2011 07:44:04 AM »

http://ny-image1.etsy.com/il_570xN.263762613.jpg

Ok, looks like she has a serger, but does anyone know if I could do this without a serger?  I want one of these coats, but $400 plus getting it shipped from Ireland is a little more than my budget can take.

besides, she only makes it in size 12, boo.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011 03:39:00 PM by photojenn - Reason: hotlinked image » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can dance to the morning light
With my feet on fire
--Volbeat
suereal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011 09:41:06 AM »

If your machine has zigzag, you should be able to get a similar effect.  The wavy ness of the seems is because she is stretching the material (probably a cotton Lycra.  100% Cotton would work, but you would want to cut all the pieces on the bias I think, so it would stretch better from all directions) while she is sewing it.  To get the thicker black line she has (definitely a serger) you would want to have the zigzag set so they are close together, and a wide stitch width.  You might need to do a lot of trimming, depending on how close you can sew to the edge.  I would highly recommend a stretch/tricots needle as well.  I would also recommend practicing till your comfortable with the technique before you start the real thing.  She might be starting with a premade shirt and adding on...depends a bit on what is happening in the front.

Best of luck!  Her coats are very cool Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
N30Nb100d
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011 11:21:10 AM »

Agreed with suereal - you can use a zigzag on your regular machine. It probably won't look quite as thick/neat, but it'll work. As for the material, as far as I know the coats are made from recycled sweaters, which will do that wavy thing pretty easily.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
suereal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011 12:17:18 PM »

Ah yes!  Wool would do that too.  Any knit I imagine would work Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
prairiefire
patchwork princess

Yes, Virginia, Cornflower Blue IS a real color.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011 02:21:55 PM »

Thanks.  I've been practicing with old sweaters and have made some passable hand warmers.  I will post pics when I have something I'm not totally disgusted with, lol   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can dance to the morning light
With my feet on fire
--Volbeat
iloveskirts

You can never have enough fabric!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011 12:41:45 PM »

HAHAHAHAHA FOUND IT!!!!!!!  It took some work, because the comment on someone's facebook page was hidden on the 7th page of my 10th Google search, but I did it, and I'm quite willing to share.

She pretty much started it, from what she says, and now she's offering the pattern for a mere $7, and, trust me, that is extremely inexpensive. 

Oh and BTW a serger is almost definitely a must for these.  In fact, the directions call for a serger, so she considers one essential.

The other thing is finding approximately 20 plus size sweaters of the right style and construction for the coat.  That could be more of a challenge than anything else.

Trisha, excited to be getting one of these patterns.....I already ordered mine.    Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't ask God to bless what you're doing.  Instead, find what He's blessing and do that!
He who calls, equips
He who leads, feeds
He who guides, provides
Macedwarf
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012 12:37:42 PM »

Wait where can we buy the pattern from?  I've been wanting one of these for so long!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kitsune-Tearz
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012 06:12:39 PM »

if i had a serger i'd TOTALLY buy the pattern, I work at value village, so finding the sweaters would be easy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pink_ink82
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012 03:06:12 PM »

try http://katwise.com/ and http://www.etsy.com/shop/katwise?section_id=10274497she also has a youtube video of her making onehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wC8vu2BoBE, i am in the process of collecting sweaters for one as well, she recomends having 20 sweaters.  i am only buying ones that are $.50 or free.. and i am going to try it without the pattern, but i never follow patterns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

have twins, need coffee
Kitsune-Tearz
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012 03:15:23 AM »

we always get in really simple sweaters for $1 or $2, and i get 50% off, and working there i could check every day... hmmmm... may have to try to convince grandma to let me borrow her serger....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Play Ode to Joy in Violin
How to Play Old McDonald Had a Farm in Violin
How to Play Rocky Top on the Fiddle Violin
How to Play Silent Night on the Violin
Learn Devil Went Down to Georgia on Fiddle - Part 3
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek
October 15, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...