A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,531
Currently Running With Scissors:
310 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What is the difference between an Artisan and a Craftsman?  (Read 869 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pinkslinky
« on: August 22, 2011 06:00:59 AM »

Friends will tell me that I'm an artist. This is because they are my friends and are perhaps slightly biased. I always counter that no, I'm a craftsman. Then I jokingly tell them it's because I didn't go to art school. Still, I feel uncomfortable calling myself an artist and I'm not sure why. If I had a clearly defined definition of the difference. . ..

What, to you, is the difference between an artisan and a craftsman?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

faerieangelchild
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011 06:22:28 AM »

For me, I consider an artisan someone who creatively produces an item. They put imagination into it. A craftsman, on the other hand, focuses much more on technique and the purity of the item. Both the artisan and craftsman create beautiful, original items. And it doesn't mean that the artisan doesn't create a well-designed product like the craftsman does, it's just a matter of where the focus is for the creator.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Re-Vintaged Jewelry

www.BirdcageBohemia.com

Don't get caged in, fly free...
april again
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011 06:40:37 AM »

For me, I consider an artisan someone who creatively produces an item. They put imagination into it. A craftsman, on the other hand, focuses much more on technique and the purity of the item. Both the artisan and craftsman create beautiful, original items. And it doesn't mean that the artisan doesn't create a well-designed product like the craftsman does, it's just a matter of where the focus is for the creator.

What an excellent explanation!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bionic Dingo
Cunning Artificer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011 10:56:10 PM »

I studied in a Craft department at an Art college so I think for me personally it's always been more of a political thing. The craft departments (Metals, fibre, ceramics, and to a certain extent, glass) were kind of ghetto-ized. Come to think of it I've always felt like they were outside of the college as well (Folks think nothing of throwing down a few hundred on an extremely ugly oil painting, but ask for the same kind of cash for something you've made that's functional and 90% of the population will scoff) so for me personally it's an art politics thing.

For wider generalizations I've always thought the diffirence is that a craftsperson makes things with a function aside from just to be.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<< I'm on Etsy!  www.magpiehouse.etsy.com >>
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Spicy Tuna Roll
How to Make a Salmon Roll
How to Make the Perfect Tempura With Tadashi Ono
Indian Ghee Recipe
Indian Seasoned Dal Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...