A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,793
Currently Running With Scissors:
771 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tentacle Charm -- Tutorial  (Read 6964 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

imtheasian1
Azn-Of-All-Trades

View Profile WWW
« on: August 21, 2011 09:50:48 PM »

I searched the PC:Finished area and couldn't find a tute on this, so my apologies if there is one. >.<

So I know the idea is pretty cut and dry, but when I first started looking at them on here and Etsy and DA, I was SO overwhelmed and intimidated. I thought "Pft. Can't do that yet." Well. YES YOU CAN. It's SO much easier than you may assume. Just kinda time consuming.

You'll need:
2 shades of clay
Stick of some sort for poking (you can use a toothpick, pen tip, etc.)
Color pastels or mica powders (optional)
Blade
Headpin (optional, if you don't want it to have a hoop, then you don't need it)
Extruder (optional)

So first, you want to take your two colors and decide what you want each to be: either the base of the tentacle, or the sucker. The color for the base, make it into a thick log with slight pointed ends. The color for the suckers, roll it into a thin snake. The extruder would come in WAY handy for this, but mine hasn't come in yet, so I do it by hand.

On your thin snake, slice little pieces off of it. Try to keep them in the same thickness area. Roll the slices into tiny balls. Yes, it's a LOT of rolling.

Take your poking tool (toothpick or pen or whatever, I'm using one of those crappy tools that comes with the $10 box of Sculpey from WalMart) and poke an indent into the tiny balls. Attach them to your base tentacle. This part? Entirely up to you on how to do it. I indent the ball, pick it up with the poker from the indent, and push it onto the tentacle. It could also work if you put a slight bit of TLS on the tentacle where you want the sucker to go and work in small sections. Space them out as you prefer and fill your tentacle.

Roll/form your tentacle into the shape/spiral you want. **You can opt to do this BEFORE putting the suckers on. If that's the case, just do this before the last step.**

Place your headpin (if you so choose).

If you want to add some pastel or powder, do that now. Or you could've done it before putting on the suckers. It would've probably been a lot cleaner if I did it pre-suckers. Crap. Ah, well. It looks great either way.

Bake accordingly and let cool. Or before you bake, you can make some other random things with the scrap clay you may or may not have. Like earrings. I made earrings. Smiley
After it's cooled, glue your headpin (or don't, it's up to you) and wrap it into an eyelet. Glaze if you so choose, or sand, etc. Just finish it the way you want.

I originally made it to attach to a bookmark, but I like it so much that I think it's going to end up being a necklace instead. >.<
Hope this was easy to follow and someone gets something out of it!

ETA:
Photo of the tentacle as a bookmark! Just roll some scrap clay into a thin strip. Trim it to how you want. Put a hole in the top. Bake accordingly. Using a chain (I used a bunch of jump rings) attach the tentacle to the scrap clay strip. Enjoy!

« Last Edit: August 24, 2011 09:51:05 AM by imtheasian1 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've never been able to do a swap, but I'd LOVE to do one! Especially a personal swap!
I'm a huge fan of Harry Potter, AVPM, AVPS, Glee..eh, let's just say anything geekwise. Wink
OHAI! Check out my blog? http://theninjaherself.wordpress.com
nightchild01

My memorial tattoo.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011 10:15:32 PM »

Very neat! I always wondered how people did the suckers for tentacles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be a victim. Accept no ones definition of your life; define yourself."
- Harvey Fierstein
crazylittlekels
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011 11:40:16 PM »

Very cool! Cheesy I feel like I've seen another tutorial for this, but I don't know where it would be. Anyway, your pictures make it look so easy! Thank you for the tutorial Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I post things like this in my blog too!
April Sprinkles blog
Kitiza
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011 01:53:38 AM »

Thanks for the tutorial! I agree with crazylittlekels - you really make it look easy.
And I love the way it turned out to be! I just have to try this.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

angelofthelastday

Beware: objects in glass are actual size.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011 05:25:54 AM »

Oh my god I love you! I have been drooling over something like this on Etsy for a long time now. Now I know how to make it! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

imtheasian1
Azn-Of-All-Trades

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011 08:23:52 AM »

Thanks everyone! I'm glad it's easy to follow! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've never been able to do a swap, but I'd LOVE to do one! Especially a personal swap!
I'm a huge fan of Harry Potter, AVPM, AVPS, Glee..eh, let's just say anything geekwise. Wink
OHAI! Check out my blog? http://theninjaherself.wordpress.com
pocketful_of_dreams
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012 10:47:32 PM »

This is really neat! I gotta try and make some earrings like this Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012 09:43:18 AM »

I'm going to give this a try! This is a great, easy to follow tute and pics, and thanks for posting it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@ craftster
http://StudioLTD@etsy.com. Coupon code summerfun  50%
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd60/
http://www.gofundme.com/bvnj24,help kid's chess trip
SneakyFoxeh
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012 01:44:43 PM »

Awesome!  It would make a cute necklace. 

Tempted to try this tutorial out.  Thing is, I've never used modeling clay before.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eclectic Dreamer

There's power in an unwritten page.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012 11:23:08 AM »

Dang! I wish I had seen this 2 weeks ago. Would have been absolutely perfect for a swap partner who's receiving her package today. Maybe I'll do an extra "Merry Christmas!" surprise.... hmmm....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.etsy.com/people/ShahanaKhan/favorites
http://pinterest.com/3pomegranates

Writing Magic - NaNoWriMo 2013 Swap: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=426706.0#axzz2cCRJhOrK

My new motto/mantra: "Eat. Rest. Be well of heart. Keep breathing."
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Your Own Favorite Effects - Final Cut Pro 6
How to Create a Render Farm Part 3/3 - Apple Compressor
How to Use Job Chaining Part 1/2 - Apple Compressor
How to Use Job Chaining Part 2/2 - Apple Compressor
How to Create a Movie Still - Imovie 08
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...