A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,207
Currently Running With Scissors:
431 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ruffled Jelly Roll Skirt with TUTORIAL  (Read 2469 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

NicoleMarie
« on: August 21, 2011 03:48:19 AM »

I made these skirts from a jelly roll....it really takes the thinking out of coordinating all those layers of fabric, and allows you to get right into the project because you don't have to cut all those strips!  

MATERIALS:
1 jelly roll (or 6-10 2.5' x 45" strips of fabric)
2 pieces of 3" x 45" strips of coordinating fabric for the ruffle (you can always use 2 jellyroll pieces, but I like a wider ruffle)
1 pkg 1/2" or 3/4" elastic

NOTES:
> I used a 1/2" seam allowance unless otherwise noted
> This tutorial includes the use of a serger, but if you don't have one, you can use a zig zag stitch for the seams and regular gathering techniques for the ruffles.

HOW TO MEASURE:
You will need two measurements.  Waist and desired length of skirt.

WIDTH: Take the waist measurement and double it - this produces a very full skirt - if you prefer a less full skirt, take a few inches off.  For both the skirts I made I used a 40" width.  NOTE:  Don't cut the actual width until after you have sewn all the strips together!

LENGTH: Measure from the waist down to your desired length.  Divide that number by 1.5 - round to the nearest whole number.   This will tell you how many strips of jelly roll you will need (it does NOT include the ruffle).  Please note that the length will not be exact - I like to keep things simple.

ELASTIC:  Add 1/2" to the waist measurement.

Measurements I used:
3T - 6 strips of jelly roll, the 3" ruffle, all 40" wide*;   21" piece of 3/4" elastic
5/6 - 8 strips of jelly roll, the 3" ruffle, all 40" wide*;  19" piece of 1/2" elastic
(* 40" is after sewing all the strips together)

STEP 1
Start by laying out your fabric strips in the order you want (minus the ruffle piece) and sew together (Note that the top strip will not be visible - it will create the casing for the elastic).

Once assembled, now you can cut to the desired width. Trim from both sides so you have straight lines to work with!

Clean up the raw edges by serging, zig-zagging and press each seam downward.  If desired you can stitch these seams down using a top-stitch, but I opted not to.

STEP 2
Make the ruffle.
Sew the two ruffle strips together at the short ends (right sides together) and press the seam open.
Serge one long side of this entire strip then press under 1/2" to achieve your bottom hem.  If not using a serger, press under 1/4" then fold under again to create your hem.
Ruffle the raw edge of the entire piece (I created a soft gather using my serger).

Pin the ruffle to the bottom strip of the skirt (right sides together, raw edges matched up)Chances are your ruffle will be too long - just trim the excess off.
Sew together and press the seam upward.  

Hold the seam allowance in place by top-stitching.

STEP 3
Pin the sides together making sure to line up the seam lines as best as you can.  Sew and serge (zig-zag)

STEP 4
Create the casing for the skirt.
Fold the top of the skirt over 1/2" and press
Fold over again so the press line falls on the seam line of the second strip.  This will give you about 1" of casing space and a clean fold.....
Stitch the casing about 1/8" from the bottom edge.  (If using 1/2" elastic, you will want to make a second seam line about 1/4" above this to narrow the channel.  Make sure to leave a 2" opening for the elastic!

Using a safety pin, feed your elastic into the channel.
Being careful not to twist the elastic, overlap the elastic ends about an inch and sew in place with two zig zag stitches.

Pull the elastic into the channel and close up the opening.  Add a label if desired...

You are finished!

If you need more images to make this, you can find my full tutorial here: http://sewplicity.blogspot.com/2011/08/tutorial-ruffled-jelly-roll-dress.html#more

Happy sewing!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011 03:52:29 AM by NicoleMarie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Brackish Potato
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011 06:55:04 AM »

What a cute skirt! Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists.

"Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try!" -Dr. Seuss
amalgam
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011 01:07:26 PM »

Where were you for this past swap I did? Just kidding.Wink Thanks for the tutorial. I'll have bookmark this one for when I make skirts for my cousins. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have an UFO(Unfinished Object) that you want to see get done? Join the Finish My UFO Swap! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=433415.0#axzz31MVlWM80

http://www.wists.com/liko_2000
http://pinterest.com/liko_2000
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Sock Puppet
How to Make a Nun Costume
How to Make a Thanksgiving Cornucopia
How to Make Egg-Carton Lights
How to Make a Pirate Costume
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...