A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 301,504
Currently Running With Scissors:
469 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Agatha Christie brooch  (Read 553 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

teaandcraft
« on: August 20, 2011 06:53:47 PM »

This brooch is my tribute to the most wonderful Dame Agatha Christie, the Queen of Crime. I *love* her mystery novels, and have an entire bookshelf dedicated to them. I mainly buy them in second-hand shops because I love the cover designs - I have even brought multiple copies so I can have different covers ^_^ (I'm a little crazy ...)

I used this tutorial (http://lolanovablog.blogspot.com/2010/10/mary-go-round-crochet-flower-ring.html) for the frame, but I used 3 ply thread, so I have quite a few more "petals". The thread I used is 75% viscose and 25% metallic and it's "Romantic" by Vera Moda. The inside bit of the frame was a large metal flattened circle (like a giant washer) from a *gross* necklace my mum got free from a magazine ... and then gave to me. I knew I'd find a use for it someday!

The scroll is black felt with white and dark red embroidery thread and says (in case you can't read my embroidery-writing) "Long May She Reign" and Agatha is wearing a litte crown made from card-stock that has been spray-painted with bronze. I originally tried to paint on the crown, but it didn't look really good and so I stole some of Scott's card-stock that has been under his armour projects as he spray-paints. I glued the crown on with mod-podge and then applied another layer to varnish and protect from water and the like.
The back has more felt (covering the back of the picture), and a badge back.

I really like how this turned out, and since I have another giant washer thing, I'm considering making another brooch. I just need to pick a person who needs a tribute!

I hope you like it too ^_^
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013 08:40:30 AM by lightninglisa » THIS ROCKS   Logged

teaandcraft.blogspot.com.au
elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011 02:04:25 AM »

i thought I was almost alone in my scouring of the secondhand bookstalls for Agatha Christies that I haven't read or read so long ago I can't remember them.  Love your tribute brooch.  She is a true perennial.  I remember long ago, on a trip to the old Soviet Union, the only two English authors my guide had read ( or admitted to having read) were Charles Dickens and Agatha Christie.  Which at the time explained her somewhat distorted view of Western Society.

I think Dame Agatha will reign forever and look forward to seeing who you will honour next.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Scrapbook Kit and Nightlight Shade For New Moms
How to Sew a Cashmere Hot Water Bottle Cover
Create a Recycling Bin for Newspapers
Holiday Garland Decorations 101
How to Make a Christmas-Tree Table Topper
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Mirror Wall
January 21, 2015 Featured Projects
January 21st is Squirrel Appreciation Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...