A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,698
Currently Running With Scissors:
505 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday August 19th  (Read 755 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday , fiber_preparation  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LaughingLark
« on: August 19, 2011 01:13:24 PM »

No Fiber Friday yet? I'll start. Smiley

Purple Cat Batt, front and back sides:

That blue green upcycled yarn I was spinning on the Turkish spindle last week:

Silk blouse yarn:

Thick and thin upcycled art yarn:

Thinner wheel version:

Hope you are all having a great week. With back to school, etc, we are all pretty busy right now.   Smiley

« Last Edit: August 19, 2011 01:15:15 PM by LaughingLark » THIS ROCKS   Logged

inle_rah
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011 02:11:30 PM »

Those look pretty cool.  I haven't been near my spinning wheel in weeks.  My stupid job keeps getting in the way of me having a good time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

about me
my wists
Ravelry
My Etsy
Personal swaps?  Yes, please.
A_WRIGHT
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011 02:51:03 PM »

Very pretty!  What are the shiny bits in the Purple Cat Batt?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.lewbugcreations .etsy.com

Handspun Yarns & Hand Painted Roving
LaughingLark
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011 03:49:49 PM »

Thanks!

A_WRIGHT, I bought a fun fur hat at the thrift store that had been donated unworn, tag still on it. It was just plain purple/maroon fun fur and nothing else, and looked really silly for wearing. Washed it and frogged it while my four year old was napping last weekend. He came into the room before I was done cleaning up the furry mess on the floor, and said. "Mommy, it looks like you mowed a purple cat in here!" Cheesy I cut up some of the shorter bits of the fun fur to throw into art batts. There is also some angelina and some orange firestar in there.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

A_WRIGHT
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011 09:48:05 AM »

Nicely done then!  At least now if I ever mow a purple cat I'll know just what to do with the clippings!  Lol, I love the things they say, my daughter is three and she keeps me on my toes too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.lewbugcreations .etsy.com

Handspun Yarns & Hand Painted Roving
jexxican
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011 02:49:07 PM »

have something to share from 2 weeks ago but I'm lazy. Maybe I'll post next week. Lark, you are inspiring me to learn to corespin. I've been wanting to and I did a really thick 45 yards with scraps one time but I don't don't have something I think would work well as a core. Wait, is that corespun? Or is it just a lot of plies of sweater yarn? What are you doing?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
charaxesdistanti
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011 03:03:35 PM »

LaughingLark, I love those yarns! I am so in love with whatever it is you're doing to make the yarn look like that. Great batt too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Tell us a story, I know you're not boring"
LaughingLark
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011 05:53:18 PM »

Jexx, it's corespun. I'm learning how to do that from Neauveau Fiber Arts. It's all made with recycled thrift shop sweater yarns, too. My fiber budget is tiny right now, so I'm exploring all my frugal options for this often not-very-frugal hobby. Take apart sweaters, dye the yarns, and you can end up with some pretty fun re-spinning material. Especially if you let the dyes break or strike in random ways. With a young child in the house, worrying about perfection goes out the window ( I would never get anything done), and I like making happy accident yarns when I can squeak in some time for dyeing.Smiley  

The silk yarn was made with one strand of dyed recycled sweater yarn, and a continuous joined strip of torn dyed blouse silk. I don't know what it is called, but it's the join where you cut a slit in the ends to pass the material through. It was time-consuming, but when I got to the spinning part, it was fun. I spun the yarn and the silk together, not trying to ply them, then thread-plied them with a metallic thread. It pretty much drapes like the wool yarn, and I'll use it as an accent in a hat or scarf. It has some knotty parts, so it is textural and bumpy. Should be fun to play with when I get into knitting/weaving mode.

I like to core-spin on my Ashford Turkish spindle. It's easy to add wayyy too much twist to these yarns, and on the spindle, I can let some of the excess spin twist back out before I add the yarn to my cop. If you have accidentally let too much twist out, you will be able to tell by the look of your yarn, and you can put some of it back. It's fiddly to spin this way, but I don't have a wheel with a bulky flyer, and it is handy to be able to remove the extra twist as I go.

How to corespin on drop spindle:
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T07afn4lMwk

Edited again to add:
I learned from Jazzturtle's tutorials that it's a good idea to spin a few feet of a regular woolen single, then begin your corespun yarn, and end the yarn with another few feet of regular single. It helps the yarn have more structural integrity. I've started to do that on all of my corespun yarns. You can see the ending single on the yarn on the bobbin and Turkish spindle above. It helps so much when trying to keep the yarn behaving and not unraveling itself until the twist is set, and gives a bit of regular yarn for cast on/bind off. Check her tutorials on youtube as well.
http://www.youtube.com/user/JazzTurtleCreations
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011 07:22:37 PM by LaughingLark » THIS ROCKS   Logged

nikschaf
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011 08:52:31 AM »

I love your yarns LaughingLark!  I tried unraveling a couple of wool sweaters before without success.  Just couldn't get it unraveling nicely, even though I made sure the sweaters hadn't been accidentally felted (fulled) ahead of time.  There must be a secret to getting them unraveling nicely that I do not know.

I also love your batts.  You are making me REALLY want a drum carder, but I won't be buying one of those anytime soon.  I know I could make faux rolags, but that seems like it would be so time-consuming!  Maybe not, I suppose I could try it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Candy Monogram - Do It, Gurl
5 Minute Makeup to Get You Out the Door!
The Monday Makeover - The Modern Smoky Eye
How To Do Audrey Hepburn Makeup
Clear Skin Tips for Active Women
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...