A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,374
Currently Running With Scissors:
702 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First play with liqued clay  (Read 660 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

suereal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 17, 2011 03:37:46 PM »

I finally got some liquid poly clay to see what it can do.  This is the first thing I did with it...

This was made for nmcakemom07 for the Cute Japanese Swap.  The image is from a little note book I had.  I used black polyclay and glow in the dark for the frame.  It was nerve wracking covering up the picture, but i like how it came out.  I probably used more of the LPClay then I needed, but I like the kind of misty effect.  In the proper technique, after backing it, you soak it in water and rub the paper off, leaving the image on the LPClay...but I chickened out on that part.  I backed it with some sticky felt I had in my stash, with a small hanger attached
Thanks for looking Grin
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011 11:05:09 AM by suereal » THIS ROCKS   Logged
tiffi_333
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011 07:20:18 PM »

The image you used was really cute, and i love the glow in the dark
you should try this tutorial for transfers with liquid clay
http://colscreations.blogspot.com/2011/08/image-transfer-tutorial.html Im not sure which tutorial you used but you dont have to rub the back off of liquid clay transfers you bake it then peel it off. Ive done a transfer where you rub the pic off but that was with normal unbaked clay. I hope youll be posting more cute pendants soon Cheesy on the tutorial it shows them using fabric transfer sheets but i have used gloss photo paper the same way without a problem. just make sure it prints on the right side Smiley
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011 07:23:42 PM by tiffi_333 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
suereal

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011 07:46:20 PM »

Ah!  Cool and thanks for the link.  The picture was stiff and glossy, which is why I didn't want to mess with it after backing.  I just used the info sheet in the package for instructions.  I'm off to check out the link now Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AmandaBL
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011 10:23:15 PM »

when you rub the pulpy part off it leaves a somewhat translucent image (depending on the colors in the picture you chose.)  Can be lots of fun for layering. I've experimented with the thickness of liquid clay & the thinner you do it the clearer & less frosty the image is.  I usually paint a thin coat on with a brush then after peeling the paper backing, attach to another thin sheet of clay.  Yours looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tickled_sidhe
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011 06:39:30 AM »

that looks great. I just bought some liquid clay and i'm still trying to figure out what to do with it. Hey for those in the know, can you use any image medium for this or does it only work with say, magazines and ink jet? Just curious, sorry for the high jack. I love the frame as well!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
suereal

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011 07:43:08 AM »

heheh Now worries about the "high jack" tickled.  I've been wondering the same thing.

And thanks Amanda for your info too.  The more information the less scary this becomes Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011 10:59:28 AM »

Really nice!  Liquid polymer clay can do so many different things too; just wait till you try them all...good purchase.

Transfers to polymer clay can be done in various ways and with various materials, equipment and techniques.  It sounds like you were using a "decal" transfer though (sometimes called a waterslide transfer) rather than the "direct" transfers that can also be done on polymer clay.
If you want loads of info on most of the ways/equipment/materials/etc, including one sub-section (under Liquid Clays) on how to get the paper off when soaking the decal type of transfer, check out this page at my site:
http://glassattic.com/polymer/transfers.htm
...And this page deals with all the different things liquid clay can do, if you're interested:
http://glassattic.com/polymer/LiquidSculpey.htm

P.S. I didn't understand this phrase: I used play can glow in the dark for the frame.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011 11:03:12 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
suereal

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011 11:07:58 AM »

Really nice!  Liquid polymer clay can do so many different things too; just wait till you try them all...good purchase.

Transfers to polymer clay can be done in various ways and with various materials, equipment and techniques.  It sounds like you were using a "decal" transfer though (sometimes called a waterslide transfer) rather than the "direct" transfers that can also be done on polymer clay.
If you want loads of info on most of the ways/equipment/materials/etc, including one sub-section (under Liquid Clays) on how to get the paper off when soaking the decal type of transfer, check out this page at my site:
http://glassattic.com/polymer/transfers.htm
...And this page deals with all the different things liquid clay can do, if you're interested:
http://glassattic.com/polymer/LiquidSculpey.htm

P.S. I didn't understand this phrase: I used play can glow in the dark for the frame.
OOpsy, just a typo.  It should read "black polyclay and glow in the dark for the frame".  Thanks for the heads up (I had been posting things all day, so slightly overloaded.) And now it says what I meant.

Thanks also for the great links!  I'll be checking them out now Grin
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011 11:08:36 AM by suereal » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon G10: Set Timer Function
Canon G10: Set Spot Meter Function
Canon G10: Set Shutter Priority (Tv) Function
Canon G10: Set Image Resolution Function
Canon G10: Set Image Quality Function
Latest Blog Articles
Tomato/Tomahto
Meatless Monday: Veggie Bolognese Sauce
Mountain Views

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...