A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,087
Currently Running With Scissors:
543 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Epic quilt saga, looking for ideas  (Read 285 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chamaecyparis
« on: August 17, 2011 01:06:33 PM »

So, here's the story:

When my cousins and I were kids, we spent the summers together, and we used to all sleep outside sometimes to look at the stars or watch meteor showers. One summer we had the brilliant idea to make a giant quilt together that would be big enough for all of us to sleep out under ("all of us" being around a dozen, when everyone was there). We spent years working on this thing, but it never got finished, we all went to college, got jobs, etc. Then, a few weeks ago, I found out that my grandmother had The Quilt in her closet, so I dragged it out and took it home with me. This monster is slightly larger than 12x12 feet, with no backing or anything (it's all handsewn out of rectangular patches of whatever fabric we could get our hands on). It is in remarkably good shape, considering some of us were about 6 when we started making it).

At this point, I think I can safely say there is no way we will all be sleeping under the stars together under this blanket. We're all in the 20something to 30something range, and I think we may have passed the point where sleeping on the hard ground, and getting bitten up by bugs and drenched with dew sounds like a great adventure.

I'd like to divide The Quilt up and use it to make some kind of awesome Christmas gift for each of the cousins that was involved in the making (or at least the ones who were the most invested- if I took into account everyone who sewed one patch in, this would get unmanageable!). This probably means dividing it into 6 or 8 pieces. I'd like to make something fairly functional- it is more fun and funky than beautiful, and would make a fairly unattractive wall hanging, so that idea is out. I'm considering making throw blankets, but if I have to divide it into 8 pieces, they might come out more as lap blankets, which seems not very useful for my cousins.

That's about all I've come up with so far- I'd be interested to hear any and all ideas you clever people have!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011 01:10:27 PM »

Pillows?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chamaecyparis
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011 01:18:43 PM »

Pillows could work, although I think I might end up with a bunch left over. Maybe I could do pillows for each person and one normal-sized blanket to live at the house we all visit in the summer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Find Recent Files in Photoshop
Invert Adjustment Layer-Make a Color Infra Red Effect Action
Kick it Off #3-Soft Focus & Screening
Kick it Off #4 - Setting Type Part 1
Digital Makeup - Lenoir Lashes - Part 3
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...