A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,476
Currently Running With Scissors:
743 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kitchen/Craft room Revamp Diary (pic heavy)  (Read 9274 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bushbaby
Ex Bonis Aardy

Hug the bushbaby! Evil does not wear a Bonnet!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011 11:00:38 AM »

Todays update

Lots of work today, if not a lot of photos.

Dad fixed the gaping hole in the ceiling:

from this

to this:

[

Cool huh? He also patched and filled all the other holes in the ceiling, 2 walls and the new skirting board. My Dad is the best!

We also took the last of the wood and all the garden waste (DH & I mowed & tidied both front & back yards by lunchtime). DH loaded it all in to the car and we took 4 trips to the coup, but ITS ALL GONE!!! The wood is no more  Grin

We are taking the weekend off and then DH & I are back to work 9-5, but my Dad has offered to come up and keep on with the room. Next on the list is priming and gloss painting the skirting and door surounds, scraping the other walls down and wallpapering as much as possible. Then all it will take is a coat on paint on the walls and ceiling and my craft stuff will be able to go back in.

The other side of the room - the kitchen end will stay rough for a while until we can afford to do something about the units.

x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011 02:56:59 AM »

can't wait to see more!

Yeah - pine panelling was all the rage for a while in the 80's. Unfortunately the floor is kind of 'dead-mouse-brown' coloured lino floor tiles  Roll Eyes The wall panels were so badly put up that if you hit one end of the wall it would ripple like water away from you!

Have to add, last night when it was totally dark we tried the new kitchen lights  Grin They are so bright!!  I cant wait to craft in there again - no more using an anglepoise lamp to prevent peering and eye strain!

wow, sounds like the previous owner of your house and my landlord went to the same school of DIY and then snuck out of classes to go smoke behind the bike sheds!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bushbaby
Ex Bonis Aardy

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011 06:15:38 AM »

can't wait to see more!

Yeah - pine panelling was all the rage for a while in the 80's. Unfortunately the floor is kind of 'dead-mouse-brown' coloured lino floor tiles  Roll Eyes The wall panels were so badly put up that if you hit one end of the wall it would ripple like water away from you!

Have to add, last night when it was totally dark we tried the new kitchen lights  Grin They are so bright!!  I cant wait to craft in there again - no more using an anglepoise lamp to prevent peering and eye strain!

wow, sounds like the previous owner of your house and my landlord went to the same school of DIY and then snuck out of classes to go smoke behind the bike sheds!

hehe He apprently used to build motorcycles as a hobby- after seeing his finishing skills at DIY I have always worried about what his bikes were like!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miihamara
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2011 01:05:40 PM »

maybe working with bikes is the only thing he can do.

I mean my brother for example he could drive a car at the age of 5 (my parents are farmers.. a lot of land to practice on) and he could fix almost any car at the age of 13, so you think he could at lest make to build an easy made bookshelf but no, it did look like crap and it was really pity about the wood.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bushbaby
Ex Bonis Aardy

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2011 11:34:31 PM »

Ok, let me introduce you in so someone amazing....

My Dad!

For most of the last two weeks, whilst my DH & I have been at work, my amazing Dad (who is retired) has been coming to my house and doing my kitchen.

He has:

• fixed all the holes in the plaster
  • Wallpapered the whole kitchen
  • fitted skirting boards on the whole room
  • undercoated and gloss painted most of the skirtingboard
  • painted two coats of undercoat on the radiator

he turned this:

to this

to this

Cool huh!

I have been helping too, i promise. I have painted the ceiling white (two coats so all finished now), painted two undercoats and 1 gloss coat on the last of the skirting board and gloss painted the radiator. here is the skirting board I painted:

So all that is left to do is 2 coats of paint on the walls and then I can have my craft space back! I am hoping that I can get the painting done by the end of the weekend.

Once that is done the plan is to:
  • paint the kitchen cupboards (see the horrible brown things behind my Dad (above)
  • lay a new pale maple coloured lino tile floor

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Trekky
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2011 08:19:36 AM »

The progress is looking great.  Hope your not too tired & achy after all that DIY! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftytrekky.blogspot.com/

I have lots of train tickets (I get the train most days), if anyone wants some for papercrafting just send me a PM Smiley
bushbaby
Ex Bonis Aardy

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2011 11:38:52 AM »

2nd coat of paint now complete on the 2big walls (others will be done later after a few more repaires on stuff) -back &feet very sore but happy with the work so far Cheesy

Couldnt take any pics as magnolia paint just doesnt show up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shanaelle
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2011 10:11:45 AM »

Wow, you sure have come a long ways! And how awesome that your dad is such a big help. I can't wait to see pics of the finished project Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bushbaby
Ex Bonis Aardy

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2011 12:29:56 PM »

Wow, you sure have come a long ways! And how awesome that your dad is such a big help. I can't wait to see pics of the finished project Smiley

thanks Smiley Yeah, we couldnt have donr it without my Da. He was here again today (while we were at work). He has started to fix the floor, so that tomorrow he is going to start laying the floor tiles. *fingers crossed* I might have my craft space back by the weekend.

I cant wait to show you all the new shelves and perspec boxes I got at amazing sale prices from a furniture store that recently closed down. I am hoping to totally reorganize my craft storage  Grin

Oh I found a more recent image of my craft space before we started all this, see the blow link to the other post:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=112209.msg2474643#msg2474643

THIS ROCKS   Logged

bushbaby
Ex Bonis Aardy

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2011 12:12:03 AM »

Ok here's another update.

I will say it again, my Dad is a superhero. He turned my floor, in two days, from this:

to this

so much lighter and better. this now means that...MY CRAFT ROOM IS DONE!!

Now I can show off my new shelves and stroage boxes:

The shelves I lucked out with - Habitat ( a high-end furniture store) were closing their store next to my work and this was the shelves they used in their back storage area. They are industrial strength steel so they are really strong and wont bend under the weight of all my craft stuff, unlike my last set of shelves.

I paid 30 for these (and again thank you to my Dad for collecting them and taking them apart for me) but if I bought them brand new they would have cost about 270!  

I also bought 3 clear pespex display boxes from Habitat and they only cost me 1 each - they are in the photo below - I am using them to stor all my Yarn.

I have finally managed to unpack all my stuff and get it sorted  Grin  It still has a little sorting to be done but here is my new craft space:

[

So having done all this hard work you'd think my dad would take a break...nope. He's started painting my kitchen cabinet doors

they have gone from this feuchy brown:

to this beautiful sky blue:

I have been helping too. Dad & I spent yesterday repairing, sanding & painting a few of the door fronts and cabinets sides. We have also bought some new door handles - nice clear modern style ones. These will be put on once the painting is all done.

So, still to do:

• Finish repairing, sanding and painting all the cabintes
  • Box in the ugly corner abouve the gas boiler
  • replace the sink
  • move the dishwasher/get a new fitted one
  • replace the work top

I wish I could take a photo that really shows how much bigger and lighter the room feels. It is such an improvement.   Grin
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011 02:49:12 AM by bushbaby » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Take Better Photos With a Zoom Lens
How to Take Better Photos From Different Heights
How to Take Better Photos Without Zooming
How to Take Better Photos with Fill Flash
How to Take Better Photos by Pre-focusing
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...