A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 304,873
Currently Running With Scissors:
683 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Garment Fear  (Read 402 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

courtneykilledit
« on: August 17, 2011 08:29:56 AM »

So, I have a confession to make. I have been crocheting since I was eight years old, and I have never so much as attempted to make a garment. It scares me so much! I have no knowledge of clothing construction and I understand very little about the drape of different kinds of yarn. Plus, I'm afraid of spending hundreds of dollars on yarn to make one sweater with, as most of my pattern books suggest. It occurred to me though that not all of the people on this forum know how to sew and even fewer of us are fabulously wealthy, so I was hoping you guys could give me some decent advice. What kind of pattern should I start with? How can I find cheapish yarn that doesn't look disgusting and pill all over the place?

Thanks for the help! I'm still a bit of a noob here, so thanks in advance for being so nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Szechenyi
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011 12:40:14 AM »

I'm the same as you. I have huge garment fear, not only for the constructing of said garment, but for the cost of purchasing enough special yarn to make one.

The pattern I started with is the Shawler by Shelle Graham. I am trying to find it on Etsy for you (that's where i bought it) but am having trouble. I know she's on there though. You can definitely find it on Ravelry. It's basically a big poncho/shawl with sleeves and a hood. It is time-consuming, but very easy, and has simple shaping. She calls for Lion Brand Homespun, which I don't mind using -- I find it is a pretty tolerable acrylic -- but I didn't have access to Michaels or anything at the time, so I bought Patons Rumour instead, which is now discontinued I think. Any super chunky would do though.

Found her! http://www.etsy.com/shop/Shelleden?ref=pr_shop

This might be too easy for you, I don't know. I guess it's technically not challenging in the same way something with sleeves and more shaping would be.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MollyGirl
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011 08:34:35 AM »

I prefer to make garments.  I think one of the best economy yarns you could use is Simply Soft.  It has a nice drape and a ton of colors.  Is it as good as wool, bamboo or any of the other high end yarns?  No.  But in my experience when I buy the high end stuff it ends up sitting around because I am almost afraid to use it!  Start with Simply Soft, and they have some awesome garment patterns here [urlhttp://www.caron.com/projects/a_crochet.html][/url] My personal favorite is this one http://www.caron.com/projects/ss/ss_duster.html I swear I am gonna make that soon.  Once you get used to making garments you can work up to some higher end stuff. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A bone to the dog is not charity. Charity is the bone shared with the dog, when you are just as hungry as the dog.
Jack London

View my wists http://www.wists.com/mollygirl
Szechenyi
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011 12:32:54 PM »

I feel just the same about high-end yarns. I recently bought some from Etsy -- hand-dyed silk blended with wool, like buttah -- and am terrified of using it! I get this weird inertia, feeling almost like I am scared of using it on the wrong project! I am perfectly happy buying mass-produced brands, Lion Brand, Patons, what have you, but in Ireland it's hard to access that stuff as we have no equivalent to something like Michael's back in Canada.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
courtneykilledit
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011 08:05:33 AM »

You guys are such a huge help. I've been advised to try Caron Simply Soft and I think I might invest in some, once I finally pick a piece! I think I just have to jump in and let myself screw up a sleeve or two to get the hang of it! Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
uknowuluvit

hi =] I'm Deb.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011 11:48:55 AM »

Just wanted to give my two cents on caron simply soft, I LOOOOOVE this yarn!!!! Definately try it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tastee
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011 10:09:34 PM »

I have the same fear.  Scarves and shawls are as close as I've come to a garment.  Shaping terrifies me and is probably why I like crochet instead of knitting. 
Unfortunately, I have no suggestions, but I wanted you to know that you are not alone.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Macromedia Flash 8 - Editing the Contents of a Group
Macromedia Flash 8 - Grouping Vector Shapes
Macromedia Flash 8 - Vector Drawing Techniques
Macromedia Flash 8 - Combining Tools to Create Detailed Curves
Macromedia Flash 8 - Creating Complex Shapes with Intersecting Lines
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...