A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,599
Currently Running With Scissors:
650 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tulips, hats, and more flowers, Oh my! (pic heavy)  (Read 438 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

JustKat

I LUV 2 Craft!

View Profile WWW
« on: August 16, 2011 09:29:30 PM »

I haven't posted on here in a while, but I've been on a hat and applique streak. While I am no professional, I have tried my hardest in making these hat's and I think I am proud of myself. I was going to give up on crocheting all together, but I found myself wanting to more than ever before.
First up is a couple of hats I am really proud of.

This is Alixander's hat.

This is my baby Kahlan's hat. It has twinkle twinkle little star on it. If you want to get a look at the entire hat you can go here:
http://justkat-these4walls.blogspot.com/2011/08/twinkle-twinkle-little-star.html

Hat's in order starting from top left hand side.
The sm. green one is sized to fit a baby. I am not sure what to add to the hat. Can anyone make a suggestion? This hat is made from Caron Simply Soft yarn.
The visor hat is made to fit a toddler. I am actually trying to get it to take on the form of the other visor that it is sitting on. I don't know what I did wrong, but it will not sit right. It looks right when worn though.
The pink hat would be cute, if I had the right colored flower on it. I took the suggestion of an 8 year old and made that flower, and the pumpkin orange looks horrid against the baby pink, Don't you agree? I have an idea what to do with that one but I will do it later.
(Bottom from left)
The khaki colored hat is for my 12 year old. She doesn't seem to enthusiastic about it though. I will make changes later to this one as well. I lacks a certain something, any idea's? A leaf? Maybe another flower?
The Apple tree hat took the longest to make (especially since I kept falling asleep sewing it  Wink ) but I am proud of this one as well. This is the ultimate skull cap pattern because of the slip stitch rows on the bottom. I read about the use of this stitch in an email from Crochet Me I believe, and thought I should at least give it a shot. I love it. The material comes out very think. It gives but not much as I'm sure you experienced crocheter's would know. Or at least I do from all the time's I made a hat and before I finished it I tried it on the head of whom ever it would go to; then finish it off with a slip stitch; then it was to tight/ small there to fit around the head.  Roll Eyes Frustrating for me anyway. Anybody else have that problem?

This next picture are my tulip's. I got the pattern from here: http://yarn-pixie.blogspot.com/2009/05/bring-your-may-flower-coaster-free.html And thought hmmm  Undecided I really like the way this works, but I don't like the tops of the petals; so I changed it up a bit and made what you see here.

The bottom yellow flower is the original pattern, sort of. I say that because I messed up the petals trying to change them and I created a new leaf for it. The blue one is still closest to the original pattern, but I added the blue chain piece to the front. I don't know if you can really see it or not. With the other's you can tell I worked out the kinks and the purple ones I like the best. The orangey ones are Peaches and creme cotton yarn. I plan to put these on the wall in my babies room. I had a bunch more but my 12 yo took them, turned them upside down and added some chains and curly que's to them to make jelly fish with them. (She has an ocean themed room)
The next pic are of a few mustaches, a butterfly and flower's. Well most of them look like messed up snow flakes. Then red, black and yellow one was supposed to be a poppy but... not really what happened.

These are something i created. I didn't use a pattern, except for the little flower on the top right side.

I used red heart acrylic yarn to make almost all of it, except what I mentioned above about the hat and tulips. I use Red Heart because there is no dye lot and it's way cheaper than wool (which I adore along with cotton). I had fun, and I even sold a few of the other hat's that I made (For really cheap because it is acrylic yarn after all). I took picture's of those as well, but I think this is enough clogging up the forum for one night. As always thanks for checking my post out, and let me know what you think I should do with those hats. C and C welcomed, so please let me know.  Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged

elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011 11:42:41 PM »

I love all the different things you are doing with crochet.  I've recently taken it up and I am finding it so addictive and love that there are so many patterns out there.  I'm nervous of trying to do my own but this post inspires me to make a start by at least tweeking some of the patterns I have already tried. 
I actually think the orange and pink look fine together, if a little flamboyant.  Maybe I think like an 8 year old. Roll Eyes
And I love your 12 year old's idea of turning the tulips into jellyfish.  Sounds like she has inherited your creativity.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JustKat

I LUV 2 Craft!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011 05:25:04 AM »

Isn't crocheting fun? I can sit in front of my computer for days looking at all the patterns that are available for free on the web. I have crocheted for a long time now, but every time I try to throw it away a 6ft 2in man stops me, lol.  In my early years I found it real hard to follow through on something, or finish a project because I wouldn't know what I was doing or whatever. These days I'm trying to think of all the endless possibilities. It sure didn't hurt much to sell some of the things I have made either. I might have gotten sort of a big head... just a little.  Cheesy  I am nowhere near as good as a lot of the people on Craftster are but I enjoy making things and crocheting is my fall back craft. my therapy, and my first crafty love. Smiley I feel lost and alone if I'm not creating something. Silly, I guess. I do like to change other's patterns up to suit my needs, but usually I just really love what that person has created. I make loads of what ever the pattern may be of before I decide if I like it the way it is or not. It's fun to see all the disasters I come up with.
 I really do hope she has my creativity, because her dad doesn't have one 'pretend' creative bone in his body. lol.
Good luck and get to crocheting!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Composition with the Rule of Thirds
Discover the World Press Photo Exhibit
How to Understand the Depth Of Field in Digital Photos
How to Zoom in On Your Photographic Subject
How to Transfer Photos from Your Digital Camera to Computer
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...